Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local store just dropped their m44's to $99...my parents said they'd buy me one for xmas at that price since a gun can be a lifetime gift.

It's temping, they aren't the greatest guns ever, but I don't have a center fire rifle as of yet.

Thoughts? Is it worth it? Should I just ask for more ammo for what I've got?

Right now 7.62x54r is just so damn cheap. I'm still finding it for like $90 for 440 rnds.

·
Registered
735 Posts
definatly, the folding bayonet works good for a monopod and it has great range, if you can get the ammo at that price it's worth it. dont be afraid to get a scope for it 2

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, maybe I should go for it then, although I wish I had a head space gauge.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
M44's are great.There one of the best deals on the market.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
LS1: If you are building a collection, go ahead. As this is your first rifle, ask yourself, what use is that particular rifle? You will have a hard time selling it later for more. Maybe a used Winchester, Remington or Ruger for your FIRST centerfire, with a scope. Perhaps .30-06 or .308? Used maybe $400. That rifle you may keep forever, while you get another and another. Just my opinion, for a FIRST centerfire rifle.

·
Learning
6,703 Posts
4norseman, how are you going to use the bayonet as a mono-pod on a rifle that it swings out the side? On an SKS yes, because it swings out the bottom, but I've never seen a M44 that does this. If you have one or did a modification to one so that its bayonet could be used this way, I'd like to see a picture or have it explained because I often do the mono-pod thing with my SKS.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Most of the M44's out there have counter bored muzzles and can suffer from some accuracy issues, and they can even get worst if you shoot w/o extending the bayonet.(gun was designed to shoot with the bayonet b/c the only time Russian troops secured their bayonets was when riding in a vehicle.) Bottom line, get the 91/30 instead. Plus the extra accuracy from the longer barrel more than makes up for the size of the gun.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They don't have any 91/30's.

Maybe some more ammo instead for other things, we shall see.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
Jand G guns online is what you need to check out! http://www.jgsales.com/featured_products.php
you can get nice synthetic stocks for them as well as a sport bolt kit and a decent scope and remove the gay bayonet and then you'll a really nice rifle. I highly recomend that you get a better stock because the one they come with has a metal but plate that really sucks to shoot!

·
watching for zombies
19 Posts
They are great rifles...and for $100 dollars they are actually decently accurate...i have a scope on mine and can make fairly decent groups for just shooting the 440rd military cans of ammo...you wont be disapointed...plus any chance to pick up a gun is always a good idea...;-)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About 100 yards worth of accuracy would be fine, and I know there are those mounts that allow a long eye relief scopes wihtout permnatly drilling taping etc.

I'd be keeping the wodden stock, I'm not a huge fan of syn, alhtough I'd probably pick up a slip on recoil pad and some $10 non corrsive silver bear for it while I'm at it, I'm sure the 180 grain stuff would work fine on deer.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm, and corking and bedding might help, I'm going to try to get one with the best action and the best bore. I think I will go for it, I like old military rifles.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I pulled the trigger with the parents, and now there will be an m44 under my tree. I picked it out, bolt matches reciver, crown not milled to heck, and a very nice smooth bolt. Also, the brass was still in gooed enough shape it wasn't painted over. WOOT! It also came with the sling, oil bottle, stipper clip pouch, cleaning stuff (which I won't use), and actually a 1 year warranty.

Come dec 25th, I have 2 22.'s, 2 shotguns, and finally a center fire...time for a 336 or a pistol permit next.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts