Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new rifle. right now iam interested in the m4 ak or fn fal. id be using it for shooting and hunting in the woods. the m4 would be in the 6.8 caliber. i am also open to other weapons.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
I am looking to get a new rifle. right now iam interested in the m4 ak or fn fal. id be using it for shooting and hunting in the woods. the m4 would be in the 6.8 caliber. i am also open to other weapons.
Hunting what?

If it is stronger game (deer, boar) get something in .30-06 or .308 Win.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Black bear and deer you also could use a shotgun with slugs or buck (deer).

But to be honest I personally would favor something more potent than 7,62x39 or even 6,8.

If it shall be a self loading rifle FAL, G3, M1A or even a Garand come to mind. It is also a question how much do you want to spend...

·
Banned
348 Posts
wow... 3 very diffrent animals. Although the M4 in 6.8 is just an AK, which is just a 30-30.

Now that I've thrown the troll bait out there...

I'd second the nod for a M1A. Possibly the scout. Or if it does not have to be an auto loader, I'd look at a good lever gun. All depends on what you are looking for. Fal vs AK vs AR is a debate we tire of here. Personally for deer and bear, I'd carry a minimum of a .308, but that's just my prefrence.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bushmaster Optics Ready LR-308. Of those you listed I've owned all three and only kept the AR platform.

Now before people jump on here BM/DPMS .308s are a MUCH MUCH better rifle than their .223 counterparts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have a regular bolt action and a 32 special lever action but iam looking for a more of a military style rifle that i will be also using to hunt with.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you're gonna take a shot at a bear, do it with nothing less than .308 (preferably 12 gauge slug).

6.8 is fine for deer and what not, but if you're gonna go with one of the ''newer'' rounds, go 6.5 grendel.. Proven to be better ballistically.

AR's are fine platforms, as are FN FAL's and AK's. Just make sure you're using the right platform for the application.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
People have killed black bear and deer with a .30-30 since before the .30-06 was even around. I think a .30-30 equivalent should do just fine for black bear.

However, when one says "bear", that can mean more than a black bear. That can mean the 1200# or more brown bear, and then you are going on a fools errand with that .30-30. Since we don't know your geographic location, it's impossible to weigh in on what will do the job on the "bear" you seek.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I love my M4 (M15 Armalite) but that's because I know it forward and backwards. If you're going to be killing large game, I'd definitely go with the 6.8 or the .308 FAL.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Obviously, the larger the game, the larger the caliber. This is especially true if the game can attack and harm you, like brown bear, etc. Also, having a magazine fed design is a good idea for quick follow up shots.

But you can hunt with darn near anything if you are a good shot. I'd say the weapon is less important than the shooter. A fantastic rifle in the hands of an average shooter will not make up for the lack of ability the shooter has. Only practice will help that.

Az

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
If you want a hunting rifle, then buy a hunting rifle.

Spend the money to get a good quality rifle in 308 winchester.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm kinda wonderin what your intentions are for killin a bear?...Trophy,or for food?...Bear has to be treated just like pork and thoroughly cooked...Trichnosis...Then again,deer huntin where you might encounter a bear...My thought,.308 minimum...

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
FN FAL all the way man.
It has the punch of the AK, with the cool ergonomics of the AR, plus it's a bit of an artifact to the other two (not that many around in comparison...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own all three. To me it's a toss up between the AR and AK my L1A1 British version of the FAL is an excellent firearm if you build it yourself or buy a quality one from DSA the problem With the FAL is getting them dialed in adjusting the gas system can be a pain in the ass if your using cheap ammo I have access to NATO 7.62x51 and it runs excellent. My AR out of the box was load, pull and bang. That being said I think the AR in 308 is a little to much for the platform but are suitable. The AK is a tough rifle. I have ran thousands of steel cased garbage through it has never failed me. I have mine setup with a nice little scope that if needed I could use to hunt game. My AR has not failed me yet it's just as tough with a smaller round. My L1A1 is excellent rifle I put a lot of time and blood into building it. Once it is dialed in with good ammo it will be a reliable firearm. The fals are accurate but don't expect to make 1000m shots :D: I am actually going to add the trilux scope suit to my setup. There are better .308 platforms out there Ak style, scar that will be far more reliable then the fal. If you decide to go for a fal let me know I can assist you on what to look for when you shop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts