Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
AR- simply because I live in a heavily forested area, no shots over 100 yds will happen so having a .308 doesn't matter here. A good shot is maybe 75 yds at most.

I like the lighter weight of both the rifle and the cartridge, plus wood stocks swell here from the humidity.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
AR- simply because I live in a heavily forested area, no shots over 100 yds will happen so having a .308 doesn't matter here. A good shot is maybe 75 yds at most.

I like the lighter weight of both the rifle and the cartridge, plus wood stocks swell here from the humidity.
Sounds like you'd be better off with an AK47 honestly!

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Which do you shoot better? They are very different animals.
The M1a is all the rifle you'll probably ever need power wise, but has more recoil, less accuracy (in my experience anyway), heavier ammo weight, etc...
AR's are easier to maintain, low recoil, can be very accurate, and can allow you to carry 30 rounders and plenty of ammo.

Personally I'd prefer an AR10 or FAL for a 7.62x51... JMHO.

Reactions: papabrown

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
22 years training with the M16/M4 family has ingrained it into muscle memory.
I've handled a ton of AKs (real ones not semi auto's) and never been impressed with them.

I like the M1A and the select fire M14, both are great rifles and would serve anyone well.

·
I Sleep with my Boots ON!
1,302 Posts
I own both, in many flavors and would have a tough a time deciding depending on the situation. My go to rifle now is my SCAR L but I'd have no problem if I got stuck with my Socom16 or standard M1A. Running out the door, the SCAR would be attached to me..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Unless you are 19 years old, if you think you may be moving a lot, I would go with the AR-15. The M-1A is a wonderful rifle, but it is heavy, and the ammunition is heavy. Most people in there mid 30's won't be able to carry it, plus there bugg out gear more than 10 miles a day over open country, along with a standard loadout of ammunition.

·
East young man, go East!
618 Posts
Unless you are 19 years old, if you think you may be moving a lot, I would go with the AR-15. The M-1A is a wonderful rifle, but it is heavy, and the ammunition is heavy. Most people in there mid 30's won't be able to carry it, plus there bugg out gear more than 10 miles a day over open country, along with a standard loadout of ammunition.
If you cant pack an M14 and a reasonable amount of ammo for it your not going to get much farther with an AR-15.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
I carried a M14 around South east Asia for two years plus 12 mags and gear.
Not that much differance in weight for the 5.56 ammo that 7.62x51.

Plus you only had to shoot the guy once with the m1a twice with the Ar

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,933 Posts
My M1A Scout Squad is lighter than the tricked out M-4's than our Swat team carries. Of course it isn't loaded down with all the do-dads that they have. I would rather have 20 rounds of .308 than 30 of .223. They weigh about the same. (give or take 8 oz.) But that's just me. If I was going to be walking a long distance, I wouldn't want either of them. I would bring the M1 Carbine.

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
How many Angles can dance on the head of a pin? :rolleyes:

Either one will make you an interesting target. Target of whom? Take your pick, either the Jack Booted Thugs of The Man or Mutant Zombie Bikers in Leather ...

M1A might marginally make you less of a target.

M1A definitely better for hunting deer size game.

Get into a fire fight where you the the mag capacity of either rifle and you're probabbly gunna die. Especailly if you do it more than once.

AR15 is less expensive to train with.

M1A is margiannly better from 300 - 600 yards, most folks can't shoot that far. And why you need to shoot that far after SHTF is a bit debatable.

·
Layman
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I carried a M14 around South east Asia for two years plus 12 clips and gear.
Not that much differance in weight for the 5.56 ammo that 7.62x51.

Plus you only had to shoot the guy once with the m1a twice with the Ar
when you say 12 clips how many rounds is that?
do you mean stripper clips or magazines?

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Sloth M14 (M1A) hold 20 rounds, 240 rounds. Thats alot, combat loadout for sure. 1 shot, one kill- unlike M16. Our loadout with the M16 pre-Iraq was 7, 30 round mags, 210 rounds. With more urban combat, 10 mags is issued- 300 rounds.

5.56x45 weigh alot less than 7.62x51 But take 2-3 solid hits to kill vs 1 good shot.

If I was urban or suburban all out war, or had to move- AR15. If I was mountains, on a defenseable mountaintop, M1A If I was in the desert, or prarie, long shots- M1A.

AR10 might be what I'd go, though M1A is great AR10 can be more accurate...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts