Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Did my best to research previously posted info, but could use some fresh suggestions.

I'm getting a Sadlak mount for my M1a, but am undecided on a scope. Of course I'm considering the Leui, but would like some save some $$ if at all possible. I hear the M1a's are real tough on scopes (makes sense) so I need something durable.

Uses are mainly for paper punching mostly around 300-600 yards, but hunting now and then. I'm leaning towards an adjustable 3-9, but anything in that area would be alright.

Thanks in advance...

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
With an M-1A you can set the rifle up with multiple scopes. That is what made the XM-21 and M-21 rifles systems so popular in the first place. I would suggest, for a basic or general purpose daylight scope, that you consider a good 4 by 12 power variable. With the scope set on 4 power you can use it for close range shooting needs or, more accurately, almost as a tactical scope like the ACOG or SUSAT scopes.

For longer distance shooting you would need to consider switching to a 10 power, 10 to 40 power or a 10 to 50 power magnification scope system. With the higher power scope you might want to think about going with a really decent manufacturer of scopes like a Leupold. For the general purpose scope I would think that just about any decently made scope would work be it a Tasco, Redfield, Burris and so on. Pick what you think is right for your needs but that longer distance scope will probably have to be one of higher quality.

So, if you decide to go with the multiple scope idea, you'll need to make sure that you get the right mounts for the scopes you opt to use. If you choose the wrong scope or wrong size scope, finding a mount to use with the M-1A might be a little tricky. This then means that you need to talk to your gun dealer so he can help you get the right mounts and scopes put together for your M-1A.

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Burris 3-9x Fulfield II Tactical w/Ballistic Plex.

If you want low cost and durable for around $299.

If you have no use for tactical knobs the Standard FFII can be had for around $200.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
If you are looking for precision then get precision optics. Big mistake to scrimp for them. Millett DMS-1 is the best scope available for under $500 but it's a practical model intended for mostly for rapid and easy target aquisition but it works well on battle rifles.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/

Trijicon Accupoint 3x9x40mm is excellent for around $600. However, it will give you day and night capability with no batteries.

http://trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=632&back_row=3&categoryID=5

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
I too, will be eventually scoping an M1A. Do you guys think a Nikon Monarch X or Zeiss Conquest scope will hold up to the M1A's recoil and post-SHTF activities?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I advise a lower power scope. 1-4x or 2-7x variable. Yes, the .308 can go a long way. However, to aim and shoot close range, you response time can be lowered by the small field of view. You can spend an extra second or two to find the target.

I have a 1-4x variable. You can still do some impressive shooting at 3-400 yards with it. Ay long ranges, you may get second chance, at short one you won't.

I recently bought a bushnell 3200 elite with their firefly recticle. Shine a light into the scope for a minute or two. The recticle glows in the dark. It still had some light to it after two hours too. I have this on a lightweight .450 marlin rifle. It has survived so far. It has been atleast 100 rounds since I finished sighting in the rifle. Still holds zero great. They recently discontinued this scope. retail was 350-400, I found a couple for $180 each.

I live in an area where short range is more prevalent. I went with a eotech 512 on my saiga.

Scopes vary quite a bit. You need to better define the role of the firearm. that answer will give you a much better idea on what type of scope to put on it.

IF you can, borrow a high power scoped rifle and try some quick action 50 yard targets with it. Quick to shoulder and fire. This aspect is very vital to my style of big game hunting, close ragne stalk hunting. At times you may only have 4 or 5 seconds to shoulder and shoot a 50-100 yard shot. A iron sighted rifle would suite me much better than a scope with a 20ft field of view at 100 yards.

If you need to push longer ranges, get a 3-9x and leave it on 3x. If 200 yards or less is much more common, go lower.

I am not familar with that mount. However, if you have to remove the iron sights to mount it, get rid of it. IF you're new to the rifle, spend a few months with the iron sights. Back-up sights that are dialed-in are a good idea.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not familar with that mount. However, if you have to remove the iron sights to mount it, get rid of it. IF you're new to the rifle, spend a few months with the iron sights. Back-up sights that are dialed-in are a good idea.
Thanks for the advice.

The Sadlak mount allows use of iron sights, with the scope attached. No removal of irons. One nice feature of the mount, however I have to imagine moderate sight interference.

I have been leaning towards the Bushnell Elite, but haven't decided on what magnification yet. I have some time to think it over, as I'm saving for a wedding, and am prioritizing my ammo purchases over the glass for now.

Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts