Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Who's that?
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick sight question for those who may know. Do all our troops, in any branch, deployed to Afghanistan, Iraq ect have optics on their rifles? Or do some just use iron sights? Are the optics issued, or are they optional, you buy it, you can use it.

Just curious. Not interested in the Delta, SEAL, SF guys, they get all the cool toys, I’m wondering about the average National Guardsman or Reservist type that gets called up and sent over.

Now that I re-read this, I realize I wonder what the whole basic kit is. Any insight would be great. I have searched a few places but have never found what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I only know about infantry because that's what I was. Infantry units in the Army will have at least a Gen 1 M68 Aimpoint. A lot of units now have replaced them all with ACOGs or sometimes EOTechs, mainly ACOGs though. I've used all three issued but the units I have been in were phasing out the Aimpoints for ACOGs. ACOG is a better general purpose infantry scope, especially for places like Afghanistan but the EOTech is GREAT for urban environments like the cities in Iraq. Its funny that Aimpoint is such a big deal in the civvie market because we always hated them and thought they were pretty crappy optics. Something to note on that though, these were gen 1 aimpoints and there is no telling how many grunts beat them to **** before we got them.

The optics for infantry (to the best of my knowledge) includes infantry in the National Guard, at least if they are one of the 5 top tier state guard units. I was in one of these units so I don't know about other states. The 5 states I'm talking about deploy a lot more than the other states units so they get more money.

As far as mounting your own optics, I've never heard of that being an issue although I've never seen someone try to replace anything but aimpoints with their own stuff.

·
Barbaric and dishonorable
747 Posts
Are you kidding me about aimpoints being crap? The gen 1 had a bit of problems but that has long been fixed. Aimpoints are the primary optic of the infantry although more acogs are making it to the squad level for afghanistan due to fighting at longer distances it is not going to replace the aimpoints. Most wars these days will be fought up close and personal and the acog while still a great optic is not optimal for fast aquisition at close ranges.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you kidding me about aimpoints being crap? The gen 1 had a bit of problems but that has long been fixed. Aimpoints are the primary optic of the infantry although more acogs are making it to the squad level for afghanistan due to fighting at longer distances it is not going to replace the aimpoints. Most wars these days will be fought up close and personal and the acog while still a great optic is not optimal for fast aquisition at close ranges.
Dude, seriously, reread my post, I said most of the same things you just said. I'm not bashing Aimpoints. If you like that optic more power to you. Below is what I said with additional highlighting so that you don't misinterpret what I said.

I only know about infantry because that's what I was. Infantry units in the Army will have at least a Gen 1 M68 Aimpoint. A lot of units now have replaced them all with ACOGs or sometimes EOTechs, mainly ACOGs though. I've used all three issued but the units I have been in were phasing out the Aimpoints for ACOGs. ACOG is a better general purpose infantry scope, especially for places like Afghanistan but the EOTech is GREAT for urban environments like the cities in Iraq. Its funny that Aimpoint is such a big deal in the civvie market because we always hated them and thought they were pretty crappy optics. Something to note on that though, these were gen 1 aimpoints and there is no telling how many grunts beat them to **** before we got them.
I'm not saying all aimpoints are crap. I had an LT that got issued a Gen 3 some how and minus the fact that he couldn't figure out how to zero it (he's an LT what do you expect?) It was a pretty awesome optic. Like I have highlighted above, the Gen1's that we got issued, that looked and functioned like the ten most retarded privates to ever be in the infantry played catch with them, were total crap. To make things worse, no one trains you on how to totally take advantage of its features or how to improvise fixes if something like the sun filter falls off, or that you should probably bring a couple extra batteries of your own just in case there are no good batteries to be found in the COC or even Armorer's level. Or here's a scenario for you: Explaining to privates who have never used an optic before why they need to not clean all the dirt off the glass by rubbing them with their t-shirts. Does this clarify for you what I mean by crappy? Banged up, dead or weak batteries half the time, missing sun filters so a completely washed out dot, no dust covers, dust on lenses, lenses that are scratched to ****, etc etc. See what I'm saying now?

Why is the infantry moving away from them? And they are. I don't know the exact answers to that but I'll tell you that a few guys in my units had problems with the dot floating around too much on them and not being able to hit crap. The length of the tube wipes out a lot of peripheral for being an unmagnified red dot. Maybe since the infantry is supposed to be effective out to 300 meters in force on force combat they wanted a magnified optic? I speculate that some may feel that the EOTech is more versatile and offers faster target acquisition. What do you think the 65MOA circle is there for? Anyway, I don't know all the answers, who knows what goes through the people who make the decisions heads but that was my answer to his question, it was based on real infantry experience and gave no opinions that made anything sound better than it was. I never once saw any problems with the EOTechs or ACOGS but I also only saw and used them for the last year or so that I was in so they were NEW, and hadn't had time to really start breaking yet.

Finally, this is all I'm going to say about it. That was my experiences. I am not going to get in the middle of a which optics are better debate. They are all good, different ones for different things and people have their own preferences in addition to that. I prefer EOTechs for CQB because it is faster for me to put a target inside the 65MOA circle through a very short tube than to try to find the little dot in an Aimpoint in a much longer tube. I also know guys who hate hate hate the EOTechs. When using ACOGS for CQB (which sucks in my opinion) I would close the front dust cover. Turns it into an unmagnified red dot sight.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Many do it mostly depends on your MOS. Combat troops generally will all have either an aimpoint, eotech or acog with the exception of some grenadiers.
That's about right. There are some other optics available as well. In my unit, we could use basically any type of sight (along with any type of web gear). I bought an eotech because that's what privates do when they have a ton of money. I don't regret it, my unit was only issued a few ACOG's and the rest had Aimpoints. There were a few traditional scopes floating around and some people just used regular iron sights or flip ups.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I've seen some Air Force support troops still with 1960's Vietnam era XM177E2'S and M16A1's.

Acog is real prominent being that it is standard issue for the Marines, now the Army has several different optics.

It depends on the gear nazis in a particular unit if an individual is allowed to use personally purchased sights or not. Some units are fanatical about uniformity so everyone has to use the same gear.

When I was with a regular grunt unit we had to use the same gear, with Recon Bn we got to use a better selection of stuff and generally had better weapons and equipment.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I can speak for the Air Force. Security Forces, OSI, EOD, Vehicle Ops (convoy truck drivers) and some Engineers carry M4's w/ M68 CCO's (Aimpoint Comp M2 and M4). Security Forces DM's carry M4's w/ ACOG's. The rest of the Air Force carries M16A2's...

Reactions: Some White Guy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts