Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if adding a 30-06 M1 Garand would be worth adding to my gunlocker? Im not 100% familiar with these firearms, but I know someone selling one. Seems to be in good condition - rebarreled - 1943 production.

Anything to look out for - I know not to use commercial ammo - anything else?

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
The downside to authentic M1 Garands is that they cannot fire modern, commercial .30-06 ammunition. Surplus is available for now, but it will dry up in the near future. Unless you plan to make your own light loads, I would stay away from them. Today's market has plenty of reliable, affordable, and powerful magazine-fed firearms.

Would the M1 Garand make an excellent addition to an already well-rounded firearm collection? Yes.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Collectible, it isn't as its been re barreled so for a collecting aspect it wouldn't qualify...

If you wanted a representative collection of military weapons of WW2, OK...

As a SHTF weapon there are far too many more modern semi autos with 20 and 30 round clips (mags to you Yanks) in NATO or COMM-BLOC calibres that far outshine the Garand...Saiga comes to mind for a commercial maker and any of the AK or FN FAL variants for mil-surp are available...Even an AR10...

·
Trust but verify
660 Posts
M1 Garands are excellent guns. Before purchasing make sure the back sights work as intended, e.g.’ elevation cranks up and down appropriately, windage moves left to right and back. Make sure the trigger assembly or group locks in place appropriately and that the safety isn’t broken at the very top. Most all original guns have miscellaneous parts that have been re arsenaled refurbished so many times and changed out. Most people purchase a Boyd’s stock replacement unless you want it original; keep the old stock in case you plan to sell it again one day, it can help elevate your asking price. Unless you get a certified checked gun that tells you the throat erosion and gas chamber conditions you won’t be able to discriminate these things without tools and expertise. It will eventually mater down the road after you fire several hundred rounds through it as barrels and parts erode eventually. There are many wonderful web sites on this great US military firearm. You can find many that cross reference the Serial number to verify the guns manufacture date. An original WWII date is worth a little more to most collectors. Just a few of my thoughts, enjoy and watched out from getting Garand hooked

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
The downside to authentic M1 Garands is that they cannot fire modern, commercial .30-06 ammunition. Surplus is available for now, but it will dry up in the near future. Unless you plan to make your own light loads, I would stay away from them. Today's market has plenty of reliable, affordable, and powerful magazine-fed firearms.

Would the M1 Garand make an excellent addition to an already well-rounded firearm collection? Yes.
can they be modified somehow?

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. It has something to do with the increased pressures of the newer cartridges as I recall. I don't know if the metallurgy or the chamber design is the issue, but both sound like unresolvable problems.

Somebody else may chime in with more info.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I dont own a M1 Garand, but I think someone makes an adjustable gas valve for them.

IF you do not reload, from my memory american eagle ammunition made by federal in 150gr is fine to use.

a M1 garand is a nice rifle, but a 60 year old one. Was it taken care of, was it cleaned properly after each use (corrosivie ammuniton)? It's a big price tag to gamble on.

Collectibles is one thing, basic tools are another. a M1 garand can be a good firearm, however, considering if you can inherit one or get one for real cheap. The ones for sale in most big tag stores are inproperly stored one from the korean war that the US gave to south korea after the war. I have heard good thing from the CMP ones.

Alternatives to the M1 garand. SKS is it's little cousin to some aspects. Yugoslavain or russian SKS can be purchsed for 300-400. If you like the long distance of the .30-06 cartridge, then sonsider a M1A or other .308 caliber rifle. Keep in mind, to really appreciate a long range cartidge, you need to scope it. You may not want to hack up a M1 garand and put a scope on it.

IF you want something better than 200 yards, the best route to go is a quality hunting rifle. Savage has treated me very well. A traditional scope is the best thing for long range shooting, but not the best thing for close range fast action work.

I keep my military styled rifles focus for close range work which is 200 yards or less. Past that, I stick with traditional hunting rifles. Bolt action rifles typically have certain features that make them better to semi-autos in the accuracy department. The way the stock is attached to the barrel, the tightness of the chamber to ammunition case, the simplicity of the trigger and how it lends to the way the trigger pulls, the balance of the rifles as you hold it, the rigidity of the scope base, and the lack of chrome lining inside of the barrel. Yes, you can have a very accurate semi-auto, but likely will be significantly more than the bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Dude, Garands are awesome. Even a rebarrel from 1943 should be a great shooter and a fine battle rifle. Unless you feel the need for sustained suppressive fire, the Garand is the perfect rifle. No magazine to snag up and get caught on anything. Clips are common, available, cheap and last forever and can be carried easier than mags at a tiny fraction of the cost. Great ergonomics. The best sights ever put on a rifle. An accurate, relaible weapon.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Just wondering if adding a 30-06 M1 Garand would be worth adding to my gunlocker? Im not 100% familiar with these firearms, but I know someone selling one. Seems to be in good condition - rebarreled - 1943 production.

Anything to look out for - I know not to use commercial ammo - anything else?
It's just one simple question:

can you afford it? If yes, go for it.

There are more stupid ways to get rid of money.

And the M1 Garand is a Classic...

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
Dude, Garands are awesome. Even a rebarrel from 1943 should be a great shooter and a fine battle rifle. Unless you feel the need for sustained suppressive fire, the Garand is the perfect rifle. No magazine to snag up and get caught on anything. Clips are common, available, cheap and last forever and can be carried easier than mags at a tiny fraction of the cost. Great ergonomics. The best sights ever put on a rifle. An accurate, relaible weapon.
Why would a magazine snag up or get caught on anything? Enbloc clips are affordable and reusable..if you can find them after the eject out of the rifle. Magazines seem to last just as long and offer better capacity and manipulation. Ergonomics are personal..a lot of people like pistol grips on their rifles. Sights are okay, but nothing special in my book.

Ammunition is EXPENSIVE. Apparently American Eagle makes one commercial load that will safely run through a Garand, otherwise you have to load your own special cartridges. Clips have also been replaced by magazines on every modern rifle.

Are Garands cool? Yeah. Are there better and more practical options out there? Yeah. You want big power, go with an M1A or an FAL. The .308 ammunition for it is cheaper, more plentiful, and it is magazine-fed.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
if you want one....get one. if you have to justify cost of everything in your safe, and you don't have a 30-06.....don't complicate things. BUT....if you want a functional piece of history, you can't beat the Garand. i like them because if you can see your target....you can hit it, and it's a REAL main battle rifle. i haven't had any trouble with commercial remington 150 gr, but i haven't shot over 100 rounds of it yet.

it wouldn't be my "go to" weapon for mobility reasons. but if i had to defend a fixed position, it would be hard to beat an Garand with a pile of loaded enbloc clips. a 30-06 turns cover into concealment in a hurry.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I had one 1941 production... all matching numbers... sold it for $800.00 I think 10 years ago. I shot remington 30/06 ammo through it with no problem....

Now to get one that was in the shape that one was in would cost me over$2,000.... been kicking myself ever since

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have my dad's M1. Been a small caliber man most of my life, never really saw the need to go above .308.

He used to like to yank my chain, and we had some pretty spirited discussions about my "play guns".

With the way the world is going, I figured I had better know how to use the thing, so I educated myself, and went to my range with a hunk of 1/2" thick stainless steel.

Now a .308 would go thru it, but the way WW2 Ball blew thru, I have NO DOUBT I would be grabbing the Garand against a target behind most anything.

It is ungodly heavy, and worth way more than I want to admit ( never monkeyed with SA43 ), but the difference between it and a .308 is considerable.

Cover? Bring lots, and thick stuff at that.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I have a 1942, rebarreled in 51. They are simply magical. They were years ahead of there time in their day.nothing feels like a M1 in your hand. Get a hundred rounds of AP too, while you can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an M1 or three. Don't worry about the commercial ammo thing - all you need is one of these - Schuster DCM Adjustable Gas Plug or similar. They work great and once you get it set, you don't have to change it unless you find ammo that won't cycle the action. All mine have them.

As for a bugout gun - it is not the best to have to carry it and the ammo - an AR or AK would suit just fine.

But for a static defense, it will do a very good job of stopping attackers. Cover is hard to find from a 30-06 round.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Why would a magazine snag up or get caught on anything? Enbloc clips are affordable and reusable..if you can find them after the eject out of the rifle. Magazines seem to last just as long and offer better capacity and manipulation. Ergonomics are personal..a lot of people like pistol grips on their rifles. Sights are okay, but nothing special in my book.

Ammunition is EXPENSIVE. Apparently American Eagle makes one commercial load that will safely run through a Garand, otherwise you have to load your own special cartridges. Clips have also been replaced by magazines on every modern rifle.

Are Garands cool? Yeah. Are there better and more practical options out there? Yeah. You want big power, go with an M1A or an FAL. The .308 ammunition for it is cheaper, more plentiful, and it is magazine-fed.
I hear you but you don't sound as if you own or have ever used one. YOU HAVE TO USE A GARAND TO APPRECIATE IT!

"practical"? What is practical about the AR's with optics, couplers, lights, batteries, suppressors, and specialized ammo? The average nimrod can shoot an AR faster and reload it quickly but can they hit anything? A well trained shooter can use ANYTHING to it's full potential and a Garand has plenty of it. The best trainers will always tell you it's the indian that matters.

How about being pragmatic?

What is wrong with 8 rds of major caliber ammunition? 1911's ring a bell? You can buy at least 100 Garand clips for every 5 M1A mags and one can keep them loaded forever with no problems at all.

Zombie outbreaks aside, there are few practical shooting applications a Garand isn't suited for and you don't have to use them in 30-06 as they come in 7.62 NATO. For other than military ball in 30 cal, a gas system from Schuster's is available to handle most civvy ammo and reloads. FAL's, G3's and certainly AR's in .308 are not known to tolerate heavy ammo either.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20456/Product/ADJUSTABLE_GAS_SYSTEM

The mods on my .308 Tanker are a leather sling, tritium night sight, plastic rail for a light, Schuster's Gas sytem, Smith flash hider and a thorough tune and polish I did myself to smooth it out using sandpaper, toothpaste and a dremmel tool. $100 or so, plus my time.

It takes an accomplished shooter to reload an M1A faster than I can my Garand. This guy is a full 2 seconds slower and his muzzle command sucks.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.