Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Is $650 a good price for a M1? It's in a classified's type periodical that I find in local convenience stores. It says "Good Condition."

Seems like a low price for a M1 Garand.
It's one of the things you can spend as much as you want on,I've seen them from $450.00 to over $1500.00 for a collectable.Now if it was an M1A I would go get it myself!!

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
There is a bore gauge that you slip in the chamber that will tell you how much throat errosion it has. The lower the number the better. Mine was pretty well shot when I bought it in 95 for 400.00. Then there is a bore scope that would be extremely helpful and give you a more accurate picture of the bores condition. These are still a bit pricey but a gunsmith should have both and should be able to look it over for you and tell you if its really worth it or how much it will cost to get it back up and running like the champ that it might have once been.

The M1 has always been one of my more favorite long arms. There might be better but you cant possibly go too far wrong with a good M1 and the ol 30-06.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Fair price and they are getting harder to find. Got one and love it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Darsemnos; look down the bore with the bolt held back and with a flashlight pointed at the chamber. If the bore is smooth and shiny it is good! If it is "pitted" and looks rusty don't get it. Or tell the guy the bore sucks and you'll only pay $350. Chances are the bore will be somewhere in between.. not shiny and new but neither pitted and rusty.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darsemnos; look down the bore with the bolt held back and with a flashlight pointed at the chamber. If the bore is smooth and shiny it is good! If it is "pitted" and looks rusty don't get it. Or tell the guy the bore sucks and you'll only pay $350. Chances are the bore will be somewhere in between.. not shiny and new but neither pitted and rusty.
That's the help I was looking for. Thanks.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
An M1 is like an old Cadillac in a world of Toyota Corollas.

Built like a tank. Built to last.

IMO a Garand is a good deal in just about any condition if the price is right. You can always replace heavily used parts, even the barrel.

Get the Garand. Then go out and buy a bunch of mil surp ammo for it. I promise you you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
34 Posts

IMO a Garand is a good deal in just about any condition if the price is right. You can always replace heavily used parts, even the barrel.

Get the Garand. Then go out and buy a bunch of mil surp ammo for it. I promise you you will be glad you did.
+1 Best rifle I ever bought

·
Registered
346 Posts

Ditto. You will be happy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The only shortfall Garands have is that they are not mag fed... but the 30-06 & accuracy more than make up for it. I have quite a few mag fed .308s but also a Garand. One other thing to consider is that AP rounds in .308 are virtually non-existant... but there are still plenty of AP 30-06 available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.