Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy either one with my tax return next year .I'm kinda leaning toward the garand what do yall think

·
Premium Member
14,448 Posts
they are both fine firearms,however the garands weakness is the en-bloc clips it uses in that the clip is ejected after the last round..while this is not really a concern at the range were you have ample time to look around for the clip in a worst case senario your going to loose your clips untill they are gone and you are left with a single shot......

the M1A on the other hand uses a magazine...so..you can retain your mags at every change.........

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If you get the Garand,get a ton of ball ammo for it,RIGHT NOW.Its still a good deal,and theres variety. The M1A needs ball ammo,and right now,if you can find it,its $60 for a pack of 140 rnds,south African,or about $110.00 for 200 rnds Lithuanian. I'd lean toward the Garand,if it was a good one,not somebodys worn out clunker. I saw an M1A at a shop the other day,used,like new cond. $1099.00

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
I would go M14. Magazine fed, as stated before, chambered in .308 which gives you exceptional range and power, and the gun is more versatile than the Garand. You can install a picatinny rail system above the barrel from ATI, and have all sorts of scope, light, laser combos if you wish.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If I had to pick only one it wold be the M14 clone. {I own both} The mag capacity is the obvious reason but another is the ammo situation. The op rod is sensitive to modern 3006 ammo. Its possible to bent the op rod of the M1 firing modern, factory 3006 ammo. The M14 has no such problem. Also the clip of an M1 can't be topped off.
If the M14 has a fault it is the mag position. With a mag inserted you are forced to grip either in front or behind it. {When its carried one handed} The
natural balance point is the mag well.
The pluses for the M1 are the clips can remain loaded virtually forever with no damage and they are very cheap. M2 ball ammo is also very available right now at decent prices.

The M1 is a great weapon. There very few instances where I would feel under gunned with one. They are a pleasure to shoot and the history of the weapon is a treasure in its own right. That said, if I could have only one I would choose the M14.

Take it for what its worth.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
3006 or 308 not a lot of difference. But it the 3006 is the better round balistically, the 308 is the more common (imo).
The mags can fail on the m14 or you can lose the clips.
One good thing about the Garand is that it is historical and less then 10 rounds which will be a big plus (imo) when the next administration takes over. I hope they leave a grandfather clause, or i fear i will be forced to become a outlaw, that is if i owned a firearm at all.
As Fred mentioned, if you get the Garand, stock up n the Greek 3006 while you can.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Both are stupendous guns for sure. I would choose the M1A for the simple fact of its higher capacity, magazine fed vs enbloc, and chambered for the 308. I wouldnt feel at much of a disadvantage with a M1 Garand though. Its a fine rifle and I like it better than the M1A. The M1 too is more likely to escape any renewed AWB legislation although its not a sacred cow, just not a weapon that really rates a lot of "concern".

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Both the M1 ( I have one) and the M1A (which I don't have, but have used the M14) are fine Rifles and both can be used as a MBR or hunting rifle.
If I had to actually choose, I'd go for a quality M1A..Maybe:)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info ,theres alot of deciding factors to look at.I'll probably go with the M14 now and maybe someday down the road I can get a garand

·
Banned
1,060 Posts
I have owned and used both rifles in match configurations. Out of the bx the M-14s I shot were more accurate than issue M-1s this might be due to war time production of the M-1s or the longer operating rod, I don't know. The M-1 is easier to hump and shoot ijn the prone position than an M-14 w/20 rnd mag but I would still recomend a M-1A, just buy a 10 round mag. Buy your mags now! I would get 12 mags plus the ten rounder.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
from the civilian marksmanship program website you can buy a M1 carbine for $450 or a M1 Garand for $550. get the garand, rugged as a tank and you will be able to buy bullets by the tens of thaulsends from the civilian marksmanship program's website.
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/index.htm for rifles

http://www.odcmp.com/ammo.htm for ammo

today at the knob creek MG shoot i got to shoot both and i belive M1 Garand is a more accurate and more powerful rifle. But if you are looking for the one that dosen't have the weight of a crate of bricks get the M1 carbine.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks Kenxkillz for the link to the CMP and thanks for the link on ammo Fredlee that helps a bunch anyway since I have a .308 cetme

·
Registered
134 Posts
Which Rifle ?

I would have to go with the m14 .The .308 is still a military class round at home and even with nato . Clips are higher capacity and the rifle itself is an improved
mechanism .

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
IM lucky enough to have both i love the garand but i would go with the m1a. it usually uses 20 rd magazines but you can get 30 rd made by the israilies some of there specopps still have 1 in each squad. SO IM TOLD

·
Stargazer Extraordinaire
1,061 Posts
I also have several of both and shoot them on a regular bases. The M-1A is my first choice for any situation where a rifle is needed. All mine are extrememly accurate and very reliable. Ammo will always be around, as long as there's a NATO. The larger mag cap is a big plus too. And, not to mention it is the most beautiful rifle EVER made !!!!

That said, I would have no quames relying on a Garand for protection. Smaller ammo cap means you are more careful with your shot placement. Clips are cheap, get dozens of them. John C Garand's design will always be a fine choice for any senario that may pop up, and they're a blast to shoot too. After all, it is "The greatest battle implement ever devised".

The aforementioned Greek US30 cal ammo the CMP is selling is very high quality. I've tested it against the LC they used to sell and the Greek was in better condition, more accurate and had a higher MV. It also "feels" more powerful. Any Garand owners should get as much of this ammo as they can as no military is using the US30 cal cartidge any longer and once the surplus dries up......................................

So, IMHO get a M-1A if you can afford it and at least 10 mags. If not get a good Garand, a supply of clips and as much CMP ammo as you can. The stuff won't be around forever.

Rick

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Ditto the above post. I have two M1 Garands in the house, one in 7.62x63 and one in 7.62x51. Love them both, shoot them both well and won't give them up but if I could only have one gun and the choices were M1 and M1A it would be the M1A. They improved the gas system, shortened the op rod, lightened the gun, gave it 2 more rounds and as good as I am at replacing en-bloc clips I would rather slip a magazine into my gun for a lot of reasons. Biggest thing is to shoot whichever one you get till you shoot expert with it. Learn to strip, clean and repair it, learn how to clear malfunctions quickly and either will serve you well. Having a better gun doesn't make you better prepared, time on the range and in the woods shooting seriously will get you prepared for when things go bump in the night and the boogermen start coming.

·
Registered
70 Posts
3006 or 308 not a lot of difference. But it the 3006 is the better round balistically, the 308 is the more common (imo).
The mags can fail on the m14 or you can lose the clips.
One good thing about the Garand is that it is historical and less then 10 rounds which will be a big plus (imo) when the next administration takes over. I hope they leave a grandfather clause, or i fear i will be forced to become a outlaw, that is if i owned a firearm at all.
As Fred mentioned, if you get the Garand, stock up n the Greek 3006 while you can.
The ballistics on the .30-06 and .308 are remarkably similar. Generally speaking, they're close enough in range, bullet drop, and energy that ballistics doesn't have to factor into the decision to any significant degree.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.