Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's kinda expensive and only holds 8 rnds but uses a readily available round. Any other semi-auto rifle chambered in 30-06 that has a higher mag capacity? I ask because I can get ammo cheap, cheap cheap.

Edit: what the heck am I saying! What could be more shtf that wwII?

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Garand is the way to go. I have one too.

There is a commercial copy in semi auto only of the Browning Automatic Rifle ( BAR ).

It's mags hold 20 rounds. The weapon is heavy. In the neighborhood of twenty pounds.

Price is something like $2000.00 plus.

I look at it like this:

If I were on the other end of the M1 , all I would know it is that it was a heavy weapon of some type. I could not tell if it were 8 or 30 rounds to a mag . If you are proficent with loading, you can kep up a high rate of fire with that rifle. Don't sell it short.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
I picked up an SKS for my mbr because they're cheap, rugged, and there's ammo aplenty, but as soon as I have the extra revenue, a garand or an M14 is on the list.
Garands are fine rifles, and where I am, they over look 5 round mag capacities due to the garand's collectors status, so it retains the 8 round ability.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The only rifle i can think of thats 30-06 and hold more than 8 is a BAR.The garand is a good rifle and it served our country well.But if your looking for a .30 caliber battle rifle that holds more than 8 you would be better off getting a M1A.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Garand is great except when you don't have the 8 round clips. then you have a single shot rifle. For competition they do have smaller clips we use for Matches. I love the weapon but would go with something like the M1A or an AK variant first. Ak is going to be much cheaper and you can buy ammo with difference.

No way I would pay over $2000 for a BAR. It is much over $2000 last time I checked.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My only complaint with the M1 was the enbloc clip and the ping it made after the last round was fired. To some this might not matter and the further the opponent is away the less this will matter. But the M1 is a damn fine weapon. It and the M1903 Springfield is what I learned to shoot with.
But the enbloc is an issue with me.
That’s why I have the M1A.

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
M1 Garand is a great MBR. Other than the enbloc clips, you should purchase 150 gr ammo because 165-180 can be too hot for the gun. I tried using some Remington 180 gr on mine and it got way too hot after 16 rounds.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you can put that much down, get a Springfield M1A. You won't regret it. More capacity, same reliability, greater range because of more flexible sighting options, more accurate caliber, uses a NATO standard round also used by a few 'enemies' (namely Iran), faster reloading and above all, about the same weight (but still heavy). The M14 is also about as good as it gets for cold weather.

Other good options are the M4, SKS, FAL, G3 and AK. Depends on your local. If you see possible engagements at over 200 yards, forget the AK or SKS. If past 400, forget the M4. If you want cheap mags and power plus range, go for the FAL or L1A1. All are decent rifles. Main differences are size, weight, power, range, accuracy and price. All are decent rifles and reliable unless purposely abused.

·
A Free Man
416 Posts
A .30-06 that holds more than 8 rounds?
Ohio Ordnance 1918SLR is the s/a only BAR that was mentioned earlier. Suggested retail is about $3500.
Cobb Mfg also makes a 20 rd. .30-06 but dont know much about it.
As for using the Garand for a SHTF MBR? Its a good choice. IMO, if a person cant solve a problem with 8 rds of .30-06 then maybe you should rethink your strategy. The Garand is my choice.
As for the .308 being more accurate, maybe. But at "combat" distances its going to be virtually nil.
PS:
Wasnt Carlos Hathcock's Winchester M-70 in .30-06? I dont think the NVA or VC believed the .30-06 to be inaccurate.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
the M1 is right up at the top of my list... right behind a shotgun.

it is a good bun to begin with plus Canada has a 5 shot mag limit and a ban on most anything that looks like a military rifle but the M1 is exempt

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My cousin traded a load of hay for a Garand. Pretty good trade. He and I blew hell out of a 5 gallon bucket at about 300 yds. I had an SKS but sold it. My main rifle is a 30-30 lever. Laugh if you must but it looks a lot less conspicous hanging in my truck and the ballistics are about the same as the SKS although it suffers from a diminished rate of fire. It conserves ammo though and since I reload it is fairly cheap to feed.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
My only complaint with the M1 was the enbloc clip and the ping it made after the last round was fired. To some this might not matter and the further the opponent is away the less this will matter. But the M1 is a damn fine weapon. It and the M1903 Springfield is what I learned to shoot with.
But the enbloc is an issue with me.
That’s why I have the M1A.
Didn't take the Americans long to figure out they could throw down a couple empty clips so the Germans and Japanese would think they were out of ammo and charge their position. It was a fatal mistake.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Didn't take the Americans long to figure out they could throw down a couple empty clips so the Germans and Japanese would think they were out of ammo and charge their position. It was a fatal mistake.
Go outside, stand downrange of a 30-06 barrel, and have someone fire 8 rounds.

then tell me if after 8 full power 30-06 rounds you could hear the 'ping'

(Anyway... the M1 is actually FASTER to reload than mag rifles b/c the clip is already out... by the time they had gotten up, and taken a step... the shooter would have reloaded and shot them.)

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
go outside, stand downrange of a 30-06 barrel, and have someone fire 8 rounds.

Then tell me if after 8 full power 30-06 rounds you could hear the 'ping'

(anyway... The m1 is actually faster to reload than mag rifles b/c the clip is already out... By the time they had gotten up, and taken a step... The shooter would have reloaded and shot them.)
what? I couldnt hear you cause my ears are bleeding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The FN49 has a 10 round, non detachable mag and they are also available in .30-06. I've heared that stripper clips for them are hard to come by, but you can afaik use 5 rd Mauser clips.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts