Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of years, an M1 Garand has returned home.
For a while back then, it was the primary, OK only defense option.
While I definitely prefer the AR for weight and capacity, I can see why
the Garand is still an extremely viable option in many places.

I wonder how many antifa shields an M2 ball round will go through.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked great then, and has just sat in a closet since, but the sights have definitely been fiddled with, so a range session is called for. Just gotta finalize the gear to go with it, its been a long time.

Shout out to Late2Prep for picking it up on the way back with yours. Sorry for the reason. And yours does look better, I blame you for the money that will soon be spent.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
If this were the late 50's, early 60's, Id say maybe.

But since they havent probably cliped 30-06 pretty much anywhere since the 80's, no.

As soon as the clips are gone, you do have a 1 shot club or maybe pike, if youve got a good bayonet.

The M1's are great guns, if you have clipped ammo and you are in shape. :thumb:

·
Bugged out already
3,956 Posts
I think it would be an excellent addition as part of a team. Say you had 1 sharpshooter with a scoped M1 for every 4 or 5 with AR/AKs you would have the makings of a capable team. It is also a very capable hunting rifle. I personally wouldn't want to have this as my sole weapon, but they do still serve a very useful purpose. And yes on the clips. I still see serviceable clips readily available at my LGS and and gun shows.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
No doubt there are plenty of clips still around, altough they have got to be a bit salty anymore.

When youre running around, running and gunning, and the gun is chucking them here and there, willy nilly, how are you making out? :thumb:

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Pretty cheap to have hundreds of rounds clipped.
100 rounds of 30-06, proper or not, isnt "cheap" these days. :thumb:

A buck a pop for a clip isnt really all that cost effective either, especially if youre not able to recover/reuse them.

Hey, if you think you can make it work, by all means, have at it. Im just suggesting you look at things somewhat realisticlly. When this comes up, as it does so often, it seems theres more nostagia and war stories involved, than critical thinking. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
After a lot of years, an M1 Garand has returned home.
For a while back then, it was the primary, OK only defense option.
While I definitely prefer the AR for weight and capacity, I can see why
the Garand is still an extremely viable option in many places.

I wonder how many antifa shields an M2 ball round will go through.

It has conquered communism in a few wars. Nice big old 30-06 round.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
100 rounds of 30-06, proper or not, isnt "cheap" these days. :thumb:

A buck a pop for a clip isnt really all that cost effective either, especially if youre not able to recover/reuse them.

Hey, if you think you can make it work, by all means, have at it. Im just suggesting you look at things somewhat realisticlly. When this comes up, as it does so often, it seems theres more nostagia and war stories involved, than critical thinking. :thumb:

I'm sure he's a reloader, takes care of that.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I think it would be an excellent addition as part of a team. Say you had 1 sharpshooter with a scoped M1 for every 4 or 5 with AR/AKs you would have the makings of a capable team. It is also a very capable hunting rifle. I personally wouldn't want to have this as my sole weapon, but they do still serve a very useful purpose. And yes on the clips. I still see serviceable clips readily available at my LGS and and gun shows.
Midway USA has enblocs for cheap.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Yep, as I pointed out, still readily available!
I think you boys are missing the point about the clips. :thumb:

If youre at your Alamo, and have all you think youll ever need, youre golden.

If you have to run off on foot and live with what you carried with you. Probably not so golden. ;)

Much better than them! And I'll be using my AR15.
There is some clarity there. :)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
double post; deleted.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts