Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's snowing outside right now. Yet on Saturday, it was moderately warm for the season, and I wasn't the only one feeling it. I extracted a rather large deer tick from my back. Unfortunately, not expecting ticks in january, I didn;t even look for one, instead; stumbling upon it at about 9:30 at night as I got ready for bed.

The bullseye has already appeared and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Almost a decade without anti-biotics and I get lyme disease. It's not a big deal, odds are I'll be given a 2 week run of antibiotics and it'll be taken care of, but just another thing I have to deal with.

I'm going to the rural health clinic today to have them look at it, will post more info tonight, and can post pictures of the nasty once I find my card reader.

-g

·
Wild Wild... East
3,014 Posts
Ouch, G...
I read something about Lyme Disease and seems to be nasty. Anyhow, keep your doctor advice and keep the antibiotics cures.

Bogdan

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Good luck, glade to see you're going to have it checked. Have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, ticks can sure be a health hazard.

Reactions: joes

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clinic opens in 50 minutes... Its funny, in an area where I am concered with interactions between my animals and the native animals (bears, foxes, cougars, rattlesnakes) I never expected to actually get a lyme tick. Oh well. As it goes, right?

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I know from hiking in Africa that the cattle tick (the most common found) is a parasite to humans and wild life alike and is responsible for most cases of tick bite in the region, I have had it 3 times myself and it is an unpleasant experience.
There are various ways of removing a tick from your body once it has got a grip on you and the quickest and easiest method is to use a pair of tweezers, grip the critter by the body and carefully pull it off being careful not to leave any of the mouth parts embedded in your flesh as these can easily become infected and cause unwanted problems. Another but slower method is to put a dollop of vaseline or other greasy goo over the body of the tick, this will effectively block the breathing tube and it will let go itself allowing you to crush it between your thumb nails.
Common areas to search for these cunning arachnids are, between the toes (even if you have boots on they can get there) under the arm pits and also under the scrotum (I jest not people) these animals love moist and warm areas so look or get a good friend to do it for you! Other common areas are where your underwear elastic is, they will automatically stop at this restriction and decide as movement is curtailed it is a good place to dine out.
After infection by a cattle tick the prognosis is not bleak about 10 days of feeling shi**y and preceded by headaches and stiffness usually the glands closest to the bite area will be inflamed and sore. No urgent medical attention is needed as a rule and if left untreated the body builds up an immune system making the next dose (should you get bitten again) not quite as bad.
I know that most of you will be doing your thing in the US or Canada but the prevention is the same and if you are walking in Africa ever be reassured that all is not lost if you get infected.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks hog! Got the tick out that night. The problem was the ring-like irritation that occured. The doc and I had a great talk today. Turns out that the occurances of Lyme disease in this county are only known due to the university studies and occurrence of lyme disease here is less than .01%. Not a big deal. he liked my pictures, and said judging from the appearance of the tick, it had not been in me long enough to transmit the disease if it did have it. Still, he gave me an open ended prescription for tetracycline should I develop a secondary rash in the next week or two. Hopefully, I'm all clear!

Whoo hoo. Now I just need to worry about my speeding ticket, the exploded toyota and the tie-rod on the chevy. It's been a nightmare month for cars round here.

-g

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Well what did the doctor tell you this morning ? He put you on anything ? I thought about your problem today while at the feed and seed store... saw some bags of Tetracycline in the live stock care section.

Reactions: joes

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
lone star tick

Was the tick a "Lone Star" tick? You said "Deer Tick" - that can be a generic term covering a lot of ticks.

Here is a Lone Star tick. Notice the white spot on its back.

The lone star tick carries a bacteria that has signs like Lymes disease, but its not. Its very important to pay attention to tick bites, when you get bit by a tick - does that tick have a white spot on its back? If it does, its a lone star tick. And if you develop a rash - it is not lymes disease.

http://www.health.ri.gov/disease/communicable/lyme/southern.php

Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness (STARI) is an illness transmitted to humans by tick bites. It is caused by the bacteria Borrelia lonestari. Individuals infected with STARI develop a bull’s-eye rash exactly like the rash associated with Lyme disease. Infected persons may also develop mild symptoms consisting of fatigue, headache, stiff neck, or fever. STARI is often treated with a short course of the antibiotic doxycycline. These symptoms may indicate a different tick-borne disease, but STARI itself does not appear to be serious or potentially fatal.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/stari/index.htm
A rash similar to the rash of Lyme disease has been described in humans following bites of the lone star tick, Amblyomma americanum. The rash may be accompanied by fatigue, fever, headache, muscle and joint pains. This condition has been named southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I noticed that last summer there seemed to be alot more ticks in my AO than I've ever seen. I dont know for sure but I'm guessing that it might have been due to the higher than normal temps and lack of moisture.

Also, incase anyone wants it there's a very good tick-removal system that I was told about last summer. If you locate a tick, simply put a dab of liquid handsoap onto it. I found one under my pants on me knee while driving to my parents in Aug. Tried that "new" remedy and sure enough it loosed and fell off in less than a minute. Was the easiest removal I've ever seen.

LCAS-271

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Glad everything has turned out okay, so far.
And you got a nice addition to your preps, with that prescription!

I really can't stand these things.
The property in Bama was so bad, when we first got it , the first thing you did was strip down and you'd always find a few.
Lot better, since all the scrub has been cleared off, but they still get on you.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Both my dogs had lyme disease . The first , who passed away 2 years ago , did not do well and the vet thought it might have contributed to her death . The second , and current dog , is doing fine and , so far , the disease has not affected her .
If you are out where ticks are present , bring a dog . They will jump on the dog instead of you . ;):)

·
28 Days Later
1,647 Posts
despite the whole balance of nature thing, i really think the only thing that will ever miss ticks are ticks themselves, i really, really hate those things, so much so that when i find one on me i practically torture the god damn thing.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
i had a deer tick on me, a few weeks later noticed the bullseye rash
had to get blood drawn and tested positive
went on amoxicillin for a few weeks and am fine
best to get it checked out tho if you get bit by one of those b***ards

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.