Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are already strings concerning air rifles; and true, some of these little fellows ain't so little. But in the realm of firearms, not a whole lot is discussed about low-power firearm ammunition. I would like to hear other folk's experiences with CB caps, sub sonic ammunition, target .22 ammo, 1050 fps .22 ammo like CCI Green Tag, how 'bout Remington?, how 'bout Winchester?, ..... . Who has used which/what-kind-of ammo? Did using .22 shorts "ring" your LR chamber? What rifle/ammo combo produced squirrel-eye shooting accuracy? How deep did each penetrate whatever material you used to stop it? Please share what you have learned about low-power ammunition.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can do you one better, VIDEOS!

The plinker is a 8 inch steel stove top cover at the creek line, note at the 14 second mark you can see it move just right of the red tree. 50+ yards, 8 inch steel, pretty good stuff.

At 30 yards people have seen up to a inch penetration in wood.

·
watcher
585 Posts
I've used HV 22 Shorts for years on squirrels and bluejays, skunks, feral cats(yikes I said it) etc.
From a 24" Marlin 39, I can drill a skoal can sized target EASILY standing offhand at 25yds with factory iron sights.
Dang near every time at 50yds if I have rest.
The only sound you hear, is the hammer fall.

There is alot of confusion about 22 shorts.
These arent the CB version, but the HV version.
29gr bullet at around 1200fps. at the muzzle.

On squirrels, birds, and barnyard pests, there isn't any real practical difference between
the HV shorts, and standard velocity 22LR in effectiveness.
Just noise level.
I'll go ahead and say it, I personally feel a .22HV Short 29gr hollowpoint, is more effective on small game than some 40gr .22 LR hollowpoints I've hunted with.

Cost for 50 HV Shorts is around $3.25 last I checked. Been about 6mo since I bought some.

As opposed to approx. $2 something for 50 .22LR HVs, which may make some wince.
Again I buy them mainly because they are much more quiet than even standard velocity LRs, plus they
have always been superbly accurate in my Marlin.

I admit I pulled a shot on a deer on public land several seasons ago.
While I was traking her, I came acrossed a squirrel hunter.
He helped me find her.
When we did, she was still alive, but not ready to run.
He asked if I wanted him to apply the kill shot, instead of my slug at that range.
I agreed.
He popped her in the head at about 10-12 good paces, and she slumped dead.
That killing shot was one of those 29gr HVShorts.
It penetrated the skull(not eye, skull) and into the brain with no trouble at that distance.

They aren't a toy, regardless how they get laughed at.

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan480man
Thanks for info, especially about penetration of a deer's head. I'll have to try .22 short HV in a rifle. In a small revolver, these puppies are loud. In a pump rifle, you can get over twenty of these shorts in the tube magazine. Out a 3" barrel revolver, a .22 short HV will go 3/4" into pressure-treated wood. Wouldn't use it to nuke a hog in the head. An uncle of mine gave me a hog head and told me to get its brains out; I was like 12 yr old and used a hatchet. I learned how dang thick a hog's head. He grabbed the head away and said, "You gotta cut off its jaw, then go up through the roof of its mouth, boy!" Like I was somehow supposed to know that. My dad would have just laughed at me.

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To Ascend:
Thanks for videos. The first vid led me to other vids and I got some very useful info from all of this. In the state where I'm currently living, the small game has little fear of humans. Mistake. Bunny brain + lead = Hossenfeffer Das is sehr gut, mein freund!
http://recipes.amryal.com/recipe/Meat Dishes/Rabbit/Hossenfeffer (rabbit).htm

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
When my dad was growing up, all he used was 22 shorts for squirrel hunting

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To Ascend:
Thanks for videos. The first vid led me to other vids and I got some very useful info from all of this. In the state where I'm currently living, the small game has little fear of humans. Mistake. Bunny brain + lead = Hossenfeffer Das is sehr gut, mein freund!
http://recipes.amryal.com/recipe/Meat Dishes/Rabbit/Hossenfeffer (rabbit).htm

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
aguila super colibri 22lr. Its vids of people shooting it in their living room or garage with a backstop.

I am going to set up a garage range once i get ahold of a good quantity of this ammo.

·
watcher
585 Posts
At work the latest rage is hi-velocity scoped pellet guns.
Most have the Ruger version that is marketed.
Gun+good supply of pellets+tax=Probably...?...$150 maybe?

I figured this morning, I could buy approx. 42.8 boxes of 22HV Shorts with that money!
(150/3.5 [3.25+tax])
Thats 2,140 Shorts, for the same investment as the pellet rifle set-up.

Plus they are just as quiet really.

Definately more accurate in my hands at 50yds.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I use .22 Shorts and CB Shorts for rabbit and squirrel, racoon, skunks, foxes, coyotes, and other pests around the place and during hunting seasons. Neighbors are not bothered at all.
Since you are a center-fire rifle reloader, try what my nephew did. He worked up a greatly reduced load for his .30-06 using 110 gr. hard cast lead bullets, a little pistol powder and some fluff to hold the powder against the primer. He has great success suing it on squirrels and rabbits, and it's no louder than a .22 LR.
We also have fun when we meet other hunters and they find out we're hunting rabbits or squirrels with a .22 Short and a .30-06.

·
boy scout
47 Posts
The aguila colbri is super quite in my henry .22 all you hear is the hammer fall and the round impact. you get about 3/4of an inch penatration into a phone book at 20-25 ft. Hits with around 11ftlb of energy so its still ok for birds and tree rats.Use to shoot it in my basement

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I use .22 subsonic for backyard and garage shooting because anything else will have the neighbor call the police. But, I get at 10 yards of .22LR sub-sonic about 2-5 inches penetration into my firewood stack of dense pine. It will kill small game.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
i've tried the super colibri but have settled on CCI .22 CB Longs...rated on the box at 710 FPS with a 29 grain bullet. The CCI CB Longs are slightly louder than the colibri's but are more accurate. They also don't ring the chamber like CB Shorts. I shoot these all the time in my back yard and bounce empty coke cans easily at 40 yards.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
A "good" bolt action .22 short rifle is worth it's weight in gold.........(or skunks, armadillos, other pests, etc.)

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I use lots of low power/noise .22. Aguilas, sub-sonics and lots of shorts. I hunt squirrels exclusively with .22 short hollow points. In fact I just got in 500 rounds from Graf and Sons. I use them in my Remington Model 552's.

Al

p.s. The price of shorts makes them a little pricey for just plinking.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Dan480man
Thanks for info, especially about penetration of a deer's head. I'll have to try .22 short HV in a rifle. In a small revolver, these puppies are loud. In a pump rifle, you can get over twenty of these shorts in the tube magazine. Out a 3" barrel revolver, a .22 short HV will go 3/4" into pressure-treated wood. Wouldn't use it to nuke a hog in the head. An uncle of mine gave me a hog head and told me to get its brains out; I was like 12 yr old and used a hatchet. I learned how dang thick a hog's head. He grabbed the head away and said, "You gotta cut off its jaw, then go up through the roof of its mouth, boy!" Like I was somehow supposed to know that. My dad would have just laughed at me.
Why on earth did you have to get the brains out of the hog?!
Was the skull getting mounted or something?!
Or was it just a rite of passage deal?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,493 Posts
Why on earth did you have to get the brains out of the hog?!
Was the skull getting mounted or something?!
Or was it just a rite of passage deal?
To eat! Brains used to be a popular food in the old days until we became soft and spoiled and started eating only the "luxury cuts". They're still popular in some areas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dan480man
Sorry, I know this is an old post but I got a pretty good laugh on that quote from your uncle. I felt like I was really there.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
If you reload, google cat's sneeze loads. Nice low power .308 110 gr. for the kids. I checked with a squib rod after each shot till I was comfortable with the load..

And don't be shootin at my armadillo...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts