Survivalist Forum banner

love these little folding utility knives

492 17
I use a utility knife for EDC instead of a pocket knife. does 99% of what a pocket knife does and I don't have to worry about getting the blade dull.

most folding utility knives are a little bigger than a pocket knife. these are light duty and a lot smaller. disappear in my pocket.

HyperTough at walmart, was 10$ for a pack of 2

it's all stamped sheet metal and 1 screw. love the design. genius!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Harbor Freight sells them for $6. I have one and like it as well as I like the Kobalt version. The biggest drawback to these knives is that they have no way to carry spare blades. With a diamond sharpener its easy to put and edge back on them.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,476 Posts
Tool Material property Font Knife Composite material

The top knife is an Outdoor Razorlite 3.5 EDC and comes with interchangeable blades. They can be resharpened multiple times.
The bottom knife is both worlds.

I'm pretty sure I have a Gerber version as well, hanging around in one of my car kits probably.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Harbor Freight sells them for $6. I have one and like it as well as I like the Kobalt version. The biggest drawback to these knives is that they have no way to carry spare blades. With a diamond sharpener its easy to put and edge back on them.

No spare blade, but you can flip the blade for a second edge, and switch it to a regular utility knife when you get home. When I was working in college, I carried a utility knife alongside a locking folder. Not until the leather man wave come out did I drop the utility knife for a wave. After 9/11, I stopped carrying more than one knife- I fly way too much. I keep one of the folders on a lanyard In my suitcase ( never carried on board) for use when traveling- if nothing else to cut cable ties on cases holding real tools.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Work in a warehouse,carry one 10 hrs a day.
I prefer the mid size matal ones,5-10$,that flip open and have a clip,as I have gloves on,makes it easier.I just reverse the blade,toss when dull,and grab a new blade.Ain't worth sharpening or having onboard spares when I have a 100 pak 10 feet away.
Might use it 25-100 times a day,the hinge and lock get loose after 4 months,or I lose it somewhere,so I have extras.
Does everything I need except pry or clean my fingernails,have a cheap folding locker for that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts