Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I played some video games and watched Tron with the stereo up too loud, over a week ago. Still can't hear well, probably damaged one of my ears. It's getting a little better but it still ain't right.

Question is, was why it happened. I have always been into stereos, I know how loud "too loud" is. I used to compete in car stereo competitions, I have been in multiple bands, etc. Nothing has hurt my ears like this.

Weird thing is, it's mostly just one ear. I was centered in the room, was exposed to all the speakers equally. The receiver even had a microphone that I put in the middle of the room so it automatically adjusted all the levels.

From the technical aspect, could a high THD level hurt your ears? I didn't realize this at the time but the THD was 1%, which is insane in this day and age in my opinion, but that same model is listed at 0.09% at crutchfield so I don't know what's up with that. Also could speaker phasing hurt, meaning that two were cancelling each other out so I turned it up louder to overcompensate?

From a health aspect, could I have done something temporary that might could be fixed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any sound which causes discomfort can damage your hearing.

Low-frequency sounds can do more damage because they're not as uncomfortable at higher volume levels.

If a sound causes your ears to ring, this means it already caused some long-term damage to your hearing, however slight.

I won't bother quoting decibel tresholds and whatnot, that information is easily accessible online elsewhere. Ideally, never expose yourself to sounds that are louder than absolutely necessary. Music doesn't have to drown out everything to be enjoyable. Gunshots in video games don't need to sound realistic. Remember, hearing is a vital sense in a survival situation, and being able to hear soft sounds can mean the difference between life and death.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any sound which causes discomfort can damage your hearing.
It wasn't uncomfortable at all... at the time at least. I've been pretty protective of my hearing, with the occasional splurge like going to a concert, where spl can easily hit 140 db especially towards the end. I have never had a single incident remain a problem for a week. Even with concerts, I'm fine the next day. I can't believe that my own home stereo can cause much more damage than some of these concert venues. Because of that I'm hoping it's relatively temporary but it's scaring me.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
From the technical aspect, could a high THD level hurt your ears? I didn't realize this at the time but the THD was 1%, which is insane in this day and age in my opinion, but that same model is listed at 0.09% at crutchfield so I don't know what's up with that. Also could speaker phasing hurt, meaning that two were cancelling each other out so I turned it up louder to overcompensate?
No. THD, on its own, will have no effect. Nor will speaker polarity.

From a health aspect, could I have done something temporary that might could be fixed?
Yes. That's possible. Happened to me. I lost hearing for several weeks in one ear after a feedback accident. Eventually my hearing returned to normal.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Welcome to getting older.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
I agree, you have likely damaged you hearing in the past and did not notice it. Getting older and exposing your hearing to loud noises made your hearing easily damage at this point. Bad news is there's no fix, sorry.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
I agree, you have likely damaged you hearing in the past and did not notice it. Getting older and exposing your hearing to loud noises made your hearing easily damage at this point. Bad news is there's no fix, sorry.

I damaged my hearing with fireworks when I was young and have had ringing in my ear since. The only thing that seemed to help significantly was consistent doses of ginkgo leaf over about eight months. I believe it was because of the increase in circulation. Anytime you increase circulation you increase the chances to heal
I have not continued the ginkgo and over the years the ringing has returned somewhat which may or may not be a natural process.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My ear has gotten alot better, still a little weird.

Kinda sorta figured out the initial problem, and I think it's weird. My stereo came from the factory with strange settings with alot of midrange plus alot of echo. With these settings you have to crank it up alot for vocals on movies to be understandable. Even low volumes at this setting for a short time period is a little uncomfortable now that I pay attention to it, but I was at high volume for 3-4 hours. I have tweaked it and gotten it to sound very clear at low volume and it is much more comfortable. I'll be more careful next time.

·
Wide-Eyed and Stern
654 Posts
Like others said, when you get older it's easier for old injuries to crop up. Like when you re-break a bone along the old fracture point, or snapping a twig that's been broken and glued together.

" I can't believe that my own home stereo can cause much more damage than some of these concert venues. "

Believe it. Like straining your back, all it takes is a millimeter at some random time. I been working on jet airplanes for 7 years and I'm 25, and haven't really had a problem until one day when I was at my computer playing WoW. Totally normal level, I keep the speakers at 13%. I hate loud noises. My ears started ringing BAD. I walked into the living room, and I COULDN'T HEAR MY FOOTSTEPS. It terrified me. Like they were seriously stuffed with cotton. About a week later the random ringing (bent over, stood up, said something) stopped and now I'm good. Only had one cotton episode again, a few days after the first one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts