·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Marvel of Orthodox Music in a marvelous Orthodox Space. Thank you Trogshak.

America can build and replicate this music in real life. All they need to do is become Orthodox in heart and souls.
When I view the current magnificence of the Hagia Sofia and think on the absolute splendor of the Byzantine Divine Liturgy which occurred there in past ages, I can't help but think that perhaps its fall to the Muslims was due to God's judgment for Orthodox obstinacy regarding the papacy.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
When I view the current magnificence of the Hagia Sofia and think on the absolute splendor of the Byzantine Divine Liturgy which occurred there in past ages, I can't help but think that perhaps its fall to the Muslims was due to God's judgment for Orthodox obstinacy regarding the papacy.
Sure you can think that. Or you can marvel at the trial by fire that the Orthodoxy had in the last 500 years from Muslims, Catholic armies, Communist Atheists and Western Relativism and how we conquered it all. God tests the ones He loves but he never let them fall to Heresies. The Catholics should wonder more about this.

Religious Romania after 50 years of criminal Atheist Communist rule:

Pope visit to the newly built National Cathedral (one of the tallest in the world):

Romania Consecrates Huge Orthodox Cathedral

Check the girls in traditional outfit checking their smartphones (hilarious :) second 50).

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
This thread was sweetness
And the the troll came out from under the bridge
Why is most every thread befouled by the troll?????

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Trogshak,

Thank you so much for providing that link! That is simply wonderful and the technology is amazing. And yes, I am ordering the album. This captures the intent of Christian music...that is to see the perfection of heaven as nearly as we can on this earth. The shallowness of "Praise Bands" (however well intended), is a poverty of music when compared with truly sacred music.

One of my professors at my seminary often said that the purpose of worship is to bring us to the gates of heaven through our Lord Jesus Christ. Frivolous church music simply cannot do that. Many are the hymns in our hymnal that predate the Reformation by centuries. One of my favorites during Christmas Tide is "Of The Father's Love Begotten", by Aurelius Prudentius (c. 348).

Within our Synod, there has grown an organization for our youth to increase their awareness of our liturgical heritage and hymnody. This link takes you to one of those events and the singing of this beautiful hymn. Be sure to listen through the last verse:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...-39&sk=&cvid=C75F3A8ACAF94E1D818639ED42D97EA7

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
...and the sack of Rome and rise of the Holy Roman Empire was because...? I've never met anyone for whom the term "papist" is more appropriate.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,509 Posts
The Hagia Sofia is one of the finest examples of Byzantine architecture. I've never seen it but would love to some day. Pity it was damaged so badly.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
"Two scholars at Stanford have joined forces to recreate what a Christian choir might have sounded like inside Istanbul's Hagia Sophia before it became a mosque in the 1400s."

Listen to the 4-minute audio clip as you read the transcript, and don't miss the balloon pop:

More info:

Remarkable. Make Istanbul Constantinople again. I think most of us don’t even begin to understand what civilization has lost to the forces of Islam. They make Darth Vader, Hitler, and Stalin look like amateurs.

That just galls the **** out of you, right?
Nope, I find the honesty refreshing actually.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remarkable. Make Istanbul Constantinople again. I think most of us don’t even begin to understand what civilization has lost to the forces of Islam. They make Darth Vader, Hitler, and Stalin look like amateurs.
What is past is past. But it gets better:

[10] And in the Spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God,
[11] having the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.
[12] It had a great, high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel were inscribed;
[13] on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates.
[14] And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
[15]And he who talked to me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city and its gates and walls.
[16] The city lies foursquare, its length the same as its breadth; and he measured the city with his rod, twelve thousand stadia; its length and breadth and height are equal.
[17] He also measured its wall, a hundred and forty-four cubits by a man's measure, that is, an angel's.
[18] The wall was built of jasper, while the city was pure gold, clear as glass.
[19] The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with every jewel; the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald,
[20] the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst.
[21] And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass.
[22]And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.
[23] And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine upon it, for the glory of God is its light, and its lamp is the Lamb.
[24] By its light shall the nations walk; and the kings of the earth shall bring their glory into it,
[25] and its gates shall never be shut by day -- and there shall be no night there;
[26] they shall bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations.
[27] But nothing unclean shall enter it, nor any one who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life. (Revelation 21)

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,307 Posts
Hagia Sophia is Orthodox Church. Is saying that trolling?
Yes, saying the Hagia Sophia is Orthodox Church is trolling BECAUSE the OP is about the amazing choir from centuries ago. You have an active thread about Learning about Orthodoxy in America. You should probably just add thank link to your signature.

To not be deemed a troll, do not attempt to make every religious thread about how great Orthodoxy is. Have a little faith my son. Soon all will be set right. In the meantime, enjoy also the contributions non-Orthodox make to advancing the Kingdom of God. :)

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
"America can build and replicate this music in real life. All they need to do is become Orthodox in heart and souls."

It is this crap that befouled this thread
Not a mere reference that before it was a museum and a mosque, it was an Orthodox Church.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts