Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His name was Django, but I affectionately called him Bubba. He was the greatest cat in the world.

Woke up this morning to him making wheezing sounds and got out of bed just in time to see him scoot under the bed dragging his back legs behind him. Took him to the after hours vet and, after a bunch of tests, they said its congestive heart failure. We had no choice but to put him down.

I never thought I was really a cat person until my wife and I got him 3 1/2 years ago. When my dad died a couple months after we got him, it felt like some of his spirit went into Django. If my wife and I were in the house, Bubba wasn't far away. And if we were in the bed, he made sure to make a spot where he could touch us both. He waited inside the door just like a dog when he heard the garage door open, and never failed to greet us. I have cried like a little girl several times today, and feel no shame in that. I'm sure going to miss that cat.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Sorry for your loss .

When I was young my family had a cat that lived 18 years . A very special little guy . Very good natured . He would follow me around and greet me when I came home . He slept in my room . Sometimes he would wake me up by sitting on my chest and licking my nose .
When I moved out he was about 15 . I'd often stop by just to spend a little time with him .
I was heartbroken when he died .

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for your loss .

When I was young my family had a cat that lived 18 years . A very special little guy . Very good natured . He would follow me around and greet me when I came home . He slept in my room . Sometimes he would wake me up by sitting on my chest and licking my nose .
When I moved out he was about 15 . I'd often stop by just to spend a little time with him .
I was heartbroken when he died .
That's what makes it so tough, he was only 5. He always slept with myself and my wife, and when we were sitting on the couch, he would take turns between us for who he was sitting with.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,836 Posts
Sorry for your loss bacash.

I've had both cats' and dogs since I was a kid. Loved and lost many of them. I have 2 cats that i've had since they were 2 months old, they are 10 years old now. I don't know how i'm going to handle it when I lose them.

My mom had a cat live to be 19. That poor old girl had to be put down finally because she started losing her balance and most of her teeth was gone but she hung in there until she started running into things and would set there in the floor and cry until my mom would pick her up and carry her around or set and hold her. Mom finally put her down on her 19 birthday, then had her cremated. She keeps her on a shelf and has told us kids that when we bury her she wants Miss Kitty buried with her which we will do.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,754 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Cry all you need to.

I'll be praying.

Don't forget to look into getting a shelter pet to fill your empty spot. I did that after "my" Bubba died, also of CHF. I was chosen by a nice older lady who had been given up for "allergies". She has been a great fit in our family.

My motto: you can always cry over the departed one, with a new one in your lap.

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Cry all you need to.

I'll be praying.

Don't forget to look into getting a shelter pet to fill your empty spot. I did that after "my" Bubba died, also of CHF. I was chosen by a nice older lady who had been given up for "allergies". She has been a great fit in our family.

My motto: you can always cry over the departed one, with a new one in your lap.
Thank you for the prayers! We actually made it to church this morning after we got home from the Clinic, so we sent some prayers his way to greet him at the gates!!!

We will definitely be visiting the shelter to let a cat chose us.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts