Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hesitating to post this - but I thought someone around here might have known Paul up in the Enfield, Connecticut area.

Got the call at 0420 hrs Monday morning that an old friend, Paul Protzenko, had been shot and killed in Afghanistan. It really caught me off guard. I saw Paul at one of our reunions recently, and spoke with him by phone just a few weeks ago before he left to do another tour.

He was a super good guy. We nick-named him Space Ghost in our old unit because he was such a good guy, always doing something the right way, but he rarely spoke. So a lot of times he would be there but no one would know he was there because he would just be there, being quiet, enjoying life. He always had a smile on his face.

I remember when he was a mosquito wing private when we went down and picked him up from Benning. I remember his first jump like it was yesterday - we did a mass tach into Bragg, it was a big deal. He never said a word. The expression on his face never changed. He was just a solid trooper from day one.

He was hurt in one of our last jumps, several years later, before we disbanded and since he was not going to be allowed to stay on Jump Status he decided to ETS and become a Connecticut State Trooper. Did twenty-one years on the highways up in the area. Retired, then he went to work for a contractor over in Afghanistan.

He was killed by a mad man Saturday. (see story below)

Last time we talked he was looking forward to moving down here to SC when he got home. He had recently purchased a home in Myrtle Beach and we made plans to hook up with some other buddies who have retired down here - he thought he'd get into the game of golf and enjoy spending time with his kids (he had three) and future grandkids.

He was just a good guy. I mean a really good guy. He'll be missed. But because he was a private contractor the media will not give him a minute's worth of time. I thought maybe I could, remember him, here.

Here's one of the stories about Paul - how he was killed - about his family, etc. He was truly a good American. A real patriot. One of the good guys.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/paul_protzenko_of_enfield_reti.html

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that man. I feel for those he left behind. At least it was an honorable death. Thats all any of us can hope for.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
It seems he was a great American and we seem to be losing too many of them, I'll include him and his family in my prayers.

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,965 Posts
Sorry to hear this, our prayers are with his family and yours.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am sorry to hear that our Nation has lost another hero. I am especially sorry for your personal loss.

May God bring peace to all that knew him.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Another warrior takes his place in Valhalla, do not mourn but celebrate his life.

Reactions: Bosco Warden

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Gallo, and my prayers and sympathys are with his family.

He died doing what he loved, true to his calling, and there's very few men about which that can be said. Lives of men like that aren't taken ... it was given when he answered the call.

S/F, Chaps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gallo, thank you for posting here about my brother. Paul was my "baby brother". He preferred thinking of himself as my "favorite" brother, which of course he is. I miss him so much. I can't believe what happened to him. He was always kind, gentle, mindful and cautious. Thank you again for honoring my brother Paul. Colette

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gallo, thank you for posting here about my brother. Paul was my "baby brother". He preferred thinking of himself as my "favorite" brother, which of course he is. I miss him so much. I can't believe what happened to him. He was always kind, gentle, mindful and cautious. Thank you again for honoring my brother Paul. Colette
Colette,

Paul was one of my privates in COHORT - we served together at Bragg and in Italy. He was a good guy.

Heard a couple of COHORT guys made it to the wake - they posted the bulletin to our private group.

Heard the rest of the story about SFC Pasker and the [email protected]@rd Afghan military security guard POS that killed Paul and Pasker.

It's just a damn shame.

Trust me Colette - Space Ghost is fondly remembered.

Are all of y'all going to turn the house down here at Myrtle Beach into a family get-a-way place? Will the family all eventually move down here? I think you, or your husband, spoke with Shammy right?

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...er-dies-in-afghanista20110710,0,1378556.story

Reactions: hank2222

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,439 Posts
May he rest in peace. God bless and comfort his family and his friends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The house down in Myrtle Beach is where his wife Lyse will live and I am sure her family will spend a great deal of time with her there. I am a New Englander I live in Maine, my parents and sister live in MA. We did speak to the members of the COHORT at the wake, I apologize, I do not remember names. Thank you for being there. Colette

1 - 20 of 21 Posts