Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, how do I know it was a hawk?

The bones were picked clean. If it were a canine or cat, there would have been bite marks. With a canine, chances are the bones would have been eaten.

The heart was laying next to the chicken. If this had been a dog or cat, then the heart would have been for sure eaten.

Spring is one of the worst times for chickens. Birds are migrating north, and as with any other predator / prey relationship, hawks are not far behind.

Every year it seems like I lose at least one, sometimes two chickens to hawks. There is not much I can do as the hawks are migrating. They are here one minute, and gone the next.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I’ve had several episodes with hawks, mainly the red tail and Cooper’s.
Each time I’ve seen the hawk on the dead bird, I chase it off. The red tail will keep returning to the kill until the hen is removed. The coop is within 75 feet of my house, and I let the birds range. All kills have been next to the coop, there’s plenty of cover, but the hens are dumb and those Coopers come in like a missle!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Normally in FL it is illegal to kill hawks, but it may be possible to get a permit. I am not sure about that.
Nope. Illegal to kill a hawk anywhere in North America. When a Cooper’s committed suicide chasing a dove into my bedroom window, I called the DNR and they said “get rid of it, throw it in the garbage can.” Even a feather kept can get you into trouble.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Nope. Illegal to kill a hawk anywhere in North America. When a Cooper’s committed suicide chasing a dove into my bedroom window, I called the DNR and they said “get rid of it, throw it in the garbage can.” Even a feather kept can get you into trouble.
Never say never. Permits are in theory possible, but I do not know if they are commonly issued for hawks. Yes if you have no permit a feather could get you into trouble as it has native americans for having eagle feathers.

some details of federal law.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts*, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid Federal permit. Migratory bird species protected by the Act are listed in 50 CFR 10.13.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Put up a windmill - exempt flying bird killing machine. Aren't the native Americans allowed to have eagle feathers?
Under current law they are, but that was not always the case
Eagle feather law - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_feather_law

Under the current language of the eagle feather law, individuals of certifiable American Indian ancestry enrolled in a federally recognized tribe are legally authorized to obtain eagle feathers. Unauthorized persons found with an eagle or its parts in their possession can be fined up to $250,000

·
prepared for life & death
2,473 Posts
Had an excess amount of roosters we let run around. Key word "had". Lost 1 every other day or so. Finally set the game camera out and a trap. Used the dead rooster it killed the previous night. Found out it was a ****. He drug the whole trap with the dead bird in it over to the fence, about 30 feet. Have only seen him back once since. Guess no more free meals. Oh well had way too many roos.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I have hawks mostly year round. Have seen Bald Eagles a few times. I have lost a very few chickens to them in years past. I usually have a good rooster and guineas. A good rooster and boss hen will keep an eye out. It almost sounds like the roo screams "hawk!!" and everyone dives for cover. Not all roos will keep on watch so those guys serve other pruposes. As noisey as they are they better be doing a good job!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,723 Posts
Glad I screened in the top of the cat cage. Nothing can fly down and carry them off (I'd like to see a bird try! My guys are pretty big!).

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Do they make suppresors for 12 ga?
Of course they do and there is a device that is legal without paper work. It is nearly three ft lonf and not classed as suppressor and it is intended for such things as black bird control for professional purposes.
I cannot remember what it is called.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts