Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 16 months ago I was a big fat bastard. I had trouble tying my boot laces, putting on socks, looking at myself in the mirror and a host of other problems. I knew I was killing myself and decided the time had come to do something about it.

I researched various diets and decided the easiest to follow and one that would likely suit me best was basically a potato type hi starch hi carb fat free diet, but being impatient at the best of times I did not want to mess around. I wanted to get it over and done with asap so I restricted the calories to 500-600 calories a day.

I worked out I could eat one pound of potatoes each day, as many mushrooms as I felt like and a can of tuna or two eggs for variety, all are very low in calories and full of essential nutrients.

I boiled the potato's , skin and all and stored a few days supply in the fridge. I microwaved the potatoes and mushrooms and cooked the eggs every other day without oil in a non stick frying pan. I ate the tuna cold from the can.

I skipped breakfast entirely. I was soon losing an average of half a pound a day. Three months later my weight had dropped 25% from 185 lbs to 140 lbs, I had no noticeable fat and felt great.

I am still eating basically the same diet, always with whole potatoes and no oil or fat, but more of it, much more of it and I have stayed fat free. I eat as much if not more than before I went on the diet, the difference is I now eat only good food.

It's a lifestyle change more than anything, and I think I have cracked it.

There is no excuse to be fat.

A few benefits, some unforeseen....

I don't have gut problems any more, I no longer need to have polyps removed from my intestines.

I can run and run fast.

I don't get hard skin on my feet.

My skin and hair is not greasy.

I look slim.

I can wear nice clothes.

I spend less on food.

My doctor hates me. :)

·
Possum Lover
15,292 Posts
If you were a fat bastard at 185 I hate to think what I am at...we'll call it 220. :rofl:

·
(ಠ益ಠ)
157 Posts
I researched various diets and decided the easiest to follow and one that would likely suit me best was basically a potato type hi starch hi carb fat free diet, but being impatient at the best of times I did not want to mess around. I wanted to get it over and done with asap so I restricted the calories to 500-600 calories a day.
Yikes. Sounds pretty awful. Though most fad diets do to me.

Losing weight is as simple as calories in versus calories out and, to some extent, portion control if eating calorie-dense foods.

I've lost a lot of weight since February/March (somewhere around 35 pounds). Instead of the lazy diet of pizza and beer and wings and chicken lo mein and ribs and burgers, I started a healthy "diet" of generous vegetable portions, modest meat portions, rice and beans, oats, pastas, and fruits. And when I eat high-calorie food like ramen or mac and cheese (which I do a lot) I try not to stuff myself silly (I don't always succeed).

But if a calorie-restricted diet of potatoes, eggs, and tuna work for you, more power to ya. :thumb:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes. Sounds pretty awful. Though most fad diets do to me.

Losing weight is as simple as calories in versus calories out and, to some extent, portion control if eating calorie-dense foods.

I've lost a lot of weight since February/March (somewhere around 35 pounds). Instead of the lazy diet of pizza and beer and wings and chicken lo mein and ribs and burgers, I started a healthy "diet" of generous vegetable portions, modest meat portions, rice and beans, oats, pastas, and fruits. And when I eat high-calorie food like ramen or mac and cheese (which I do a lot) I try not to stuff myself silly (I don't always succeed).

But if a calorie-restricted diet of potatoes, eggs, and tuna work for you, more power to ya. :thumb:
What's awful about it ?

If you only lost 35 pounds since February/March you are not trying. :)

·
(ಠ益ಠ)
157 Posts
What's awful about it ?
Eating only 600 calories a day in potatoes, eggs, and tuna.

If you only lost 35 pounds since February/March you are not trying. :)
That's the idea. Just by being slightly more active and switching from a drive-through diet to eating a variety of foods, fruits, and vegetables has lead to weight loss of about 1.25 pounds a week (0.75 pounds shy of the recommended maximum of 2 pounds a week).

So much for a "fad diet ":D:
I went to Wikipedia in search of what other weird diets are people doing.

I found some interesting tidbits.

Wikipedia said:
Generally, fad diets promise short-term changes with little efforts, and thus may lack educating consumers about whole-diet, whole-lifestyle changes necessary for sustainable health benefices. Fad diets are often promoted with exaggerated claims, such as rapid weight loss of more than 1 kg/week or improving health by "detoxification", or even dangerous claims, such as highly restrictive and nutritionally unbalanced food choices leading to malnutrition or eating non-food items like cotton wool. Highly restrictive fad diets should be avoided. At best, fad diets may offer novel and engaging ways to reduce calories intake, but at worst they may be medically unsuitable to the individual, unsustainable, or even dangerous.
Wikipedia said:
A considerable disadvantage of fad diets is that they encourage the notion of a diet as a short-term behavior, instead of a sustainable lifelong change. Indeed, fad diets often fail to re-educate dieters about a healthy nutrition, portion control and under-emphasize efforts and especially physical activity, so that followers cannot acquire the skills and knowledge they need for long-term maintenance of their desired weight, even if that weight is achieved in the short-term. Several diets are also unsustainable in the long-term, and thus dieters revert to old habits after deprivation of some foods which may lead to binge eating. Fad diets generally fail to address the causes of poor nutrition habits, and thus are unlikely to change the underlying behavior and the long-term outcomes.
And the Who recommendations for good measure:

WHO said:
The World Health Organization (WHO) makes the following five recommendations with respect to both populations and individuals:[6]

• Maintain a healthy weight by eating roughly the same number of calories that your body is using.
  • Limit intake of fats. Not more than 30% of the total calories should come from fats. Prefer unsaturated fats to saturated fats. Avoid trans fats.
  • Eat at least 400 grams of fruits and vegetables per day (potatoes, sweet potatoes, cassava and other starchy roots do not count). A healthy diet also contains legumes (e.g. lentils, beans), whole grains and nuts.[7]
  • Limit the intake of simple sugars to less than 10% of calorie (below 5% of calories or 25 grams may be even better).[8]
  • Limit salt / sodium from all sources and ensure that salt is iodized. Less than 5 grams of salt per day can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
But again, you do what works best for you. :)

·
(ಠ益ಠ)
157 Posts
Hmm. And here's one I haven't heard before but interesting nonetheless:

The WHO estimates that 2.7 million deaths each year are attributable to a diet low in fruit and vegetables.[42] Globally such diets are estimated to cause about 19% of gastrointestinal cancer, 31% of ischaemic heart disease, and 11% of strokes,[5] thus making it one of the leading preventable causes of death worldwide,[43] and the 4th leading risk factor for any disease.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eating only 600 calories a day in potatoes, eggs, and tuna.

That's the idea. Just by being slightly more active and switching from a drive-through diet to eating a variety of foods, fruits, and vegetables has lead to weight loss of about 1.25 pounds a week (0.75 pounds shy of the recommended maximum of 2 pounds a week).

I went to Wikipedia in search of what other weird diets are people doing.

I found some interesting tidbits.

And the Who recommendations for good measure:

But again, you do what works best for you. :)
What is awful about "Eating only 600 calories a day in potatoes, eggs, and tuna." ? Please explain . :)

How can it possibly be a "fad diet" if it's been the staple diet of the Incas and others for thousands of years. ?

How tall are you and what do you weigh ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In all honesty, he looks healthier before the diet. Not saying he is. Just looks it.
That can be a problem with losing weight, you still live in the same old bag but a deflated one.

I mainly just wanted to lose my beer gut, but I did not get a choice where I lost it from. The beer gut was the last thing to go.

This is a before ( about 15lbs less before ) and after picture of moi meme.

·
Registered
453 Posts
That can be a problem with losing weight, you still live in the same old bag but a deflated one.

I mainly just wanted to lose my beer gut, but I did not get a choice where I lost it from. The beer gut was the last thing to go.

If you add muscle, you'll find that the old bag fills up with something other than useless fat. Since muscle burns calories, you get the dual benefit of losing fat through diet and exercise. A win, win. Exercise also improves your endurance, so that's a win, win, win. Since it also improves your mental outlook, that's a win, win, win, win.
First step is to wean yourself off of all the foods that are spiked with sugars like high fructose corn syrup. There's a reason that so many corn farmers are fat slobs.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

I kinda did the same thing but only ate real food, instead of french fries I would eat a potato, nothing that comes in plastic wrapping, and very little sugar and it worked, but the diet that worked the best and was easier was no sugar, only good carbs and good meats but enough about a diet how about that sweet machine behind you in the falconry pic

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you add muscle, you'll find that the old bag fills up with something other than useless fat. Since muscle burns calories, you get the dual benefit of losing fat through diet and exercise. A win, win. Exercise also improves your endurance, so that's a win, win, win. Since it also improves your mental outlook, that's a win, win, win, win.
You are right I could exercise to add muscle, but I would have to keep it up and I can't be bothered. I don't think have any more fat to lose.

First step is to wean yourself off of all the foods that are spiked with sugars like high fructose corn syrup. There's a reason that so many corn farmers are fat slobs.
I weaned myself off sugar over a year ago.

I'm happy as I am now, I have no desire to change. I got the result I wanted, and unforeseen extra benefits in the process. It's already been a win, win, win. :D:

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
4,719 Posts
ALL DIETS WORK THAT WAY.
However, appetite control is the determining factor in long term success.
Ketogenic diets that rely on high fat, moderate protein, low carb, tend to lessen the appetite and curb binge eating. (Switching from glucose to ketones for fuel is key)
. . .
Most obese people have tried dieting to lose weight, and then rebounded, over and over. . . and the body invariably packs on a few "extra" - just in case you try to diet again.
[sigh]
. . .
The answer to the source of widespread obesity may be found in this informative video
What is so special about the human brain?
http://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain
- - - -- - - --
The key to our amazing brain size is cooking - which is also our bane - the source of our obesity. But since the BRAIN demands to be fed, no amount of will power will defeat it, in the long run. (And why most diets fail, over time)

But 100% unprocessed* raw food diet is contrasurvival, so the happy medium is based on finding your own balance of raw versus cooked / processed diet.

(*unprocessed means unprocessed. No calorie saving preparation. No juicing. No blending. Just old fashioned bite and chew.)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I kinda did the same thing but only ate real food, instead of french fries I would eat a potato, nothing that comes in plastic wrapping, and very little sugar and it worked, but the diet that worked the best and was easier was no sugar, only good carbs and good meats
You changed your lifestyle and that's the key.:thumb:

but enough about a diet how about that sweet machine behind you in the falconry pic
It's an ex USAF Diesel Land rover.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
4,719 Posts
FAT IS HEALTHY
Bacon is HEALTH FOOD!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/07/27/saturated-fat-cholesterol.aspx
The latest science suggests healthy fats (saturated and unsaturated fats from whole food, animal, and plant sources) should comprise anywhere from 50 to 85 percent of your overall energy intake.
"There has never been solid evidence for the idea that these [saturated] fats cause disease. We only believe this to be the case because nutrition policy has been derailed over the past half-century by a mixture of personal ambition, bad science, politics, and bias."
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-09-12/fat-might-not-be-bad-for-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.
. . . [expletive deleted!] . . .

There are essential proteins.
There are essential fatty acids (fat).
There are no “essential” carbohydrates.
. . .
Carb-Loaded, a film
. . . You can be trim and fit, but slowly dying from carbs . . .
https://youtu.be/lBb5TFxj1S0
>> Americans are victims of a public policy and propaganda campaign that resulted in a change in diet, a rise in sickness and disease, and an increased burden. <<
FAT is not the bad guy. Never was.
CARBS (refined) are the problem.
. . .
There are no “essential” carbohydrates.
. . .
LOW FAT ISN’T HEALTHY
http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-the-research-why-eating-fat-won-t-make-you-fat-aaron-carroll-2017
A large analysis published in August in the journal The Lancet compared more than 135,000 people on low-fat and low-carb diets across 18 countries.

The researchers found that low-fat diets were more likely to be linked with death from all causes, and found a higher likelihood of heart attacks and heart disease as well.
. . .
Ketosis in the Bush
38 DAYS OF PEMMICAN

http://blog.jackmtn.com/38-days-of-pemmican/
Lack of hunger:
During the trip and in my ketotic state previous to it I found a significant change in my appetite. It was as though my desire to eat moved from being a physical need to a chance to enjoy a tasty meal. Meal time became more of a art form I suppose because I never felt that I ‘had’ to eat. When I did get hungry it was a passing sensation usually more mental than physical; a product of a need to ameliorate boredom or to satisfy a need for satisfaction in some manner.
BINGO!

Natural appetite depressant.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FAT IS HEALTHY
Bacon is HEALTH FOOD!
It's poison to me, it did terrible things to my digestive system.

The potato diet was just a quick and efficient way to lose weight, but I learned a lot in the process.

Just like browningv308 I changed my lifestyle and now eat a balanced healthy diet. End of problem.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts