Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Locked and Stocked
426 Posts
Good Find, Didn't realize this was happening. Get lost on the wildfires as we have so many in Florida I forget other states have this problem as well.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wildfires are one thing, but when they're in danger of releasing radioactive waste, then we have a really big problem!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Wheres Obama's EPA now? I mean, they harass Shell to the point that they pulled out of the artic drilling..

Frikkin' hipocrits.

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
Wheres Obama's EPA now? I mean, they harass Shell to the point that they pulled out of the artic drilling..

Frikkin' hipocrits.
What, do you expect him to be able to do? Make it rain?

·
Watching, Waiting....
1,473 Posts
Not to sound trollish but seriously....What is a wild fire going to do to a Nuclear Power plant? The people have been evacuated for smoke inhalation / fire. The plant is not made of wood or plastic it is made from solid concrete and steel. A wild fire will not do any damage to the interior of this facility It will at its worst char the exterior.

·
knowledge is power
168 Posts
Im gonna stay on the worried side of my brain on this one. I mean, its a US govt lab that's been around for 50+ years! Only god knows what all is piled around that place. Radiation is prolly the least lethal of our worries! I wouldn't trust em if they told me grass was green.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to sound trollish but seriously....What is a wild fire going to do to a Nuclear Power plant? The people have been evacuated for smoke inhalation / fire. The plant is not made of wood or plastic it is made from solid concrete and steel. A wild fire will not do any damage to the interior of this facility It will at its worst char the exterior.
Umm, this is not a nuclear power plant. If you were paying attention to the news, all the dangerous stuff is in fabric tents above ground. Here is some of the info:

Worse, the fire is creeping dangerously close to the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), one of the country's biggest nuclear research facilities. At risk are 20-30,000 drums of Cold War-era plutonium-contaminated waste Technical Area 54 in the Area G section that are sitting above ground in fabric tents.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/29...ational-laboratory-really-safe/#ixzz1QiAxGfgN

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
If the fire gets to the radioactive waste, stored above ground in 55 GAL drums, under tents... the firestorm would lift the radioactive particles up.. where winds could carry them who knows where...

Reactions: patriot101

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess this may sound stupid but why don't they just move it. Hmmm...it can't be that bad right, it's been sitting outside in a "fabric tent" for x number of years. Just a thought.

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
I'm in Australia, so nothing in our news about the two nuke plants flooding and the Los Alamos research centre near the fire (1 mile I read yesterday). I did read this morning that there was a brief news item about a 10 mile evac that was pulled from the internet very quickly.

I thought I would find something on Twitter, but hardly anything. Which is odd to say the least. Coz we know how honest and open Governments are about Nuclear disasters right?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
What, do you expect him to be able to do? Make it rain?
I expect them to do plenty. For starters, I expect the truth. I expect them to be truthful with what is in those barrels, what they are doing to stop the fire. I expect the truth.

Thats too much to expect though.

here's what I really expect WILL happen.

Obama is going to worry about his campaign numbers and will have someone from the EPA lie to us. The old 'nothing to see here citizen, move on' approach.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
And some how you decided that a building made of concrete and steel will not be damaged by intense fire. I suggest you read this. http://www.structuraldesigns.com.au/FAQs/Concrete/Fire damaged concrete.htm

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Actually, I doubt the stored nuclear waste is in much danger. They know where it is, they can take counter measures, they're apparently doing controlled burns around the storage sites so the wildfire can't burn its way up to them and engulf them, etc, etc.

But.

Los Alamos released huge amounts of radioactive contaminants back in the Good Old Days before they started putting safety first, and lots of those are still around and active in the soil. They've been taken up by the trees and plants on and around the Reservation, and if THOSE burn and the radioactive particles get taken up in the clouds of smoke and hot air... There was apparently a smaller fire there years ago, and they didn't detect any abnormal radioactivity in the smoke then, but this time, who knows?

·
5.56 Addict
215 Posts
In case it wasn't mentioned already - There are large, above ground, plastic tents on the property, housing hundreds of barrels of Radioactive waste. That's a BIG problem for fire rolling across there !!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts