Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find examples of looting happening in Japan after this recent crisis, but have been so far unsuccessful. I know it is still early in the grand scheme of the crisis, but the Reuters feeds only seem to show neighbors helping to clean up their neighborhoods, and the JGSDF helping civilians. Has anyone seen otherwise?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
My son said everyone so far in his area has been civil, they were lucky with just minimal damage.
They're on the south end so didn't get hit hard and the tsunami didn't get over the seawall (they dodged that bullet). He said the stations had long gas lines, but all were civil and the stores were open but running low on supplies.
He's working tonight and will be on patrol, But like I said he's not near the worst part.

·
Master of Sparks
399 Posts
Having lived in Japan and having friends living there now, and knowing a little about the Japanese people, I cannot foresee the Japanese becoming looters. Not gonna happen... Japan is not L.A. or New Orleans (I also lived in both cities) the psychology of the people is TOTALLY different.

·
Lonesome Road
1,015 Posts
Maybe after the Tsunami there just isn't much worth looting? Or perhaps the hungry people are working together to gather resources from flooded stores, instead of the every man for his self mentality. Just a thought.
Most likely. I can't see them doing the every man for himself thing.

Reactions: zaci1

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
No You won't see Japanese Looting, they are the most educated and well mannered and Discipline people in the World, It will be very hard to believe any looting can take place in that society, IMO.

I lived in Tokyo for 8 years , most of the crime was drunkenness and domestic issues , no theft.
You could leave anything you owned outside no one will touch it.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I have been trying to find examples of looting happening in Japan after this recent crisis, but have been so far unsuccessful. I know it is still early in the grand scheme of the crisis, but the Reuters feeds only seem to show neighbors helping to clean up their neighborhoods, and the JGSDF helping civilians. Has anyone seen otherwise?
The Japanese are a very intelligent and civil people. I would be surprised if any looting takes place at all. If I had a choice between moving to Japan or Detroit or New Orleans I would pick Japan in a heartbeat.

·
Christian Survivalist
2,632 Posts
Great thread. I have never been there, so Its nice to hear that you people that have can speak to how they would react. Perhaps, an example to some others.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
As an example

The Japanese people are an honourable people. They hold themselves to a higher standard than the lower half of American society. TP
I have NEVER seen a picture of any in that country showing off their underwear and dressing as if those in prison were the fashion police and made the dress rules for ANY in a society.

So looting might not be a very real problem,but if starving - I am sure they would do what had to be done.

That is NOT looting,imnsho.

·
Prepared in NH
12,851 Posts
Ain't gonna happen there (all bad spelling aside).

Its a completely different culture.

Its based on community thinking, and not "individual" thinking.

"taking" for yourself is shunned and not according to the mindset.

I am not putting down other cultures, or countries.....I am just telling it like it is.

(No, I am have no Japanese blood, or connections, in my family, nor in my extended family)

·
Ready
307 Posts
My family talked about this while having dinner tonight. Even my 11 year old daughter knew that this isn't something that happens in Japan. It takes certain elements that don't fit in well in Japan to get yo lootin on!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts