Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, most of you will say: "Next time just pay attention." and my grandpa would literally say: "It's s**ted". lol Here it is.
For last few days I am kind of upset because during hiking I am loosing my gear like a ******. First i lost my face mask, than my gaiter and now my T-shirt. Never happened before. :rolleyes: Two of them luckily were found soon enough.
Notice that all the gear was fastened outside the rucksack in order to air dry it or save space in the rucksack.

Rules ->
- do not hang clothes around straps, even not around chest strap (infront of your nose)
- do not roll clothes around elastic cords, even when it's shortened
- do not trust on hook-and-loop fasteners

Straps with plastic clip are the best. Just unclip it, guide the strap trough some holes, like two sleeves and clip it back.
Later maybe some pictures.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
When I went winter camping I put a pair of gloves tucked behind by LBE to do something while still moving. I ended up dropping both of my gloves, a map, and a compass. I don't trust anything to stay put that isn't tied down and even then I still check my gear often.

·
Voluntaryist.
274 Posts
I have lost a few things when they were sticking from pockets, mainly bandanas...
and yeah, light clothes will work there way off and out of any straps, i have had this problem as well.

But winter time is prime time for me finding things in the woods, dropped by hunters, mountain bikers and hikers. Just recently I have found a small buck folder, wool hat with ear flaps, rei inflatable rest, allen wrenches, water bottles and a few other odds and ends.

·
never tell me the odds
725 Posts
hmm... I guess this is why I have found so much gear while hiking.

I make it a point too keep everything securely zipped up in a pack or things I might need on hand like my nalgene bottle secured with a locking carabiner. Compass on a lanyard around my neck. sheath knife secured in its sheath that is secured to my pack.

I have been hiking for decades and over time I've learned that in the woods you always have branches and vegetation pulling and catching on your gear.

·
Feuer Frei!
1,811 Posts
I have almost lost a few items, especially when winter camping. I'll be pulling a pluk sled and tuck something small in one of the holes between the gear....look back and its 30 feet back on the trail.

·
Avid Indoorsman
443 Posts
As if I didn't have enough issues to ponder through an prepare for.

I would rather hear it that be telling it, though.
Thanks.

·
Forum Administrator
16,729 Posts
Securing your pack every time you take it off is essential. When on a hike with friends, I will secure the pack, mount it, and then have someone from the group secure it again.

Losing a GPS, compass or other essential gear could be pretty bad - depending on the situation.

·
BASS
2,090 Posts
I always use ARNO straps that have a metal clip. They are strong and available in various lengths. I buy ARNO straps longer than I think I may need. I can always tuck in the extra material.

I have hung my winter loaded backpack with ARNO straps on a tree. That way I can get into all the pack pockets and main bag without having to kneel on wet ground, in the snow or put the pack down on wet ground.

I also use extra add-on pockets to increase the carrying capacity on the outside of my pack and to put items I may need quickly on the outside of my pack. I am not talking about lightweight stuff sacks.

The ones I have I do not see on the Campmor catalog website. I bought the pockets at the NJ store. They came with straps and are of heavy duty pack cloth. I never ever use bungee cords for the reasons mentioned earlier.

BTW: www.campmor.com is a good company and customer friendly. Be aware they are closed on Sundays since the town has blue laws. However their customer catalog call center is open in another town and you can order Sundays. No, I am not an owner or stockholder of Campmor. Check them out on line.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:wow Great methods! Every beginner hiker should read this.

The moral of the story is to strap or tie E_V_E_R_Y piece of gear on the outside of the rucksack. Secure it even twice because it moves, it shakes and eventually loosens!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yup. That's why I like straps over bungi cords and buckles over velcro. I don't like zippers much either but it's getting hard to find anything made without them.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
a few years back I tried out a new pack system. it had this attachment system for pouchs and such. it sucked.. any who. had the Buck knife my grand father had give me years ago in the knife pouch. crawling along a seventy foot ledge a limb pulled the pouch loose and away it went.

one year later... i was hiking along the bottom of the bluff. stopped to retie my boot. knelt down and there was a pouch just like the one I had lost. picked it up and felt weight. opened it and found my grandfathers buck still inside. putting the buck in my Pack I found my four cell mag light had vanished somewhere along the trail that day LOL. good trade off in my opinion LOL.

paracord, buckle straps, and stuff like that is the way to go simple loops for pouches too. no more fancy clips and gizmos to attach pouches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts