Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to plant a fig tree in my yard but I cannot seem to find anyone that carryings seedlings for them.

Can anyone form N. Texas direct me to a nursery that has fig trees?

Also, I am considering a peach or a pear tree. How long after planting until it begins to produce fruit?

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Be sure that your fig tree is protected from the north - even thought it doesn't get that cold in TX. Here in TN, most people plant their fig trees so that a house or shed protects them from any northern exposure.

We have an asian pear in our yard that we planted 11 years ago when we moved into this house - it has been very disease resistant. Usually for fruit trees you have to have more than one so they'll pollinate. Ours were very small, about 3 foot "twigs" so to speak when we planted them. We ordered them through a mail-order nursery in Arkansas. It took about 3-5 years before we started to get any fruit. Now we get tons. Getting ready to harvest pears this week, the tree is loaded.

Also, check with your nursery to see what the best time of year is for planting trees in your area - here most people put their fruit trees in the ground in the late fall/early winter.

Here's some info on peach trees:
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/info/fruittrees/peach.asp

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Reactions: Highlander

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our house faces south with back yard facing north. The back yard does not get much eastern sun in the morning since the house is a 2 story and the place where I hope to plant the fig tree is next to the house.

Most of the wind here blows in from the west and the storms usually come out of the southwest. Not much of a northern wind--except for the last storm and that one was a doosey (84 mph front) that came from the north.

The peach/pear trees would be planted on the north side of the property as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts