Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting discussion on a long car ride home last night with my husband. We have a substantial mortgage that is no problem to pay as long as our employment remains constant. However, we live in a heavily populated suburban area that sits between two very rough cities with more than their share of gang activity, murders, etc. When the inevitable SHTF, I'm sure those fellas will be making their way toward the 'rich folk' to borrow a cup of sugar and more.

I'd prefer not to be here when that day comes, even though we are now armed and prepared to dig in for a long period of time if needed.

I wonder how I go about finding some land with a small house that's far enough away from the populated towns, but close enough that I can still get to work. As a nurse, I can find work anywhere.

The taxes in my state are extortionary, I'd like to research the tax rates of surrounding areas.

Has anyone done this--picked up their life and just moved it further from the unprepared, soon-to-be-hungry and desperate? How did you start?

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
Go west young woman, go west ;)
Check into northern Nevada, maybe Elko area.
Your skills are needed everywhere.
Nevada is a no state income tax state, and the property taxes are low in the northern part of the state.
Actually, they are fairly low in most of the state, due too the taxation on gambling and prostitution.
I am not advocating the previous, but merely pointing out a reallity of a certian moral degradation.
The areas too the north are mostly mining towns, and the prison system is also a good source of employment.
Not ideal, but viable for your request.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, my wife and I picked up and moved twice before we finally settled here. What we did was take a week off and go to the area we thought we wanted to move to and stayed in a motel. We visited the local real estate offices and learned all about the cost of land and housing, etc. The local agents will be a goldmine of information about the local employment, cost of living etc. We also would buy a newspaper every day and scour it to get a feel for the local area, crime traffic, etc. Learn about the stores, schools, local politics, etc. When we finally convinced to make the move we rented a local home and went back home and sold all the large things we didn't want to move, like tractor and emplements, extra cars or truck, etc. and then just moved to the rent house and put the old place up for sale. When the old place sold, we bought a new one. Now, the last time was a little different. We visited the new area, the same as last time, but this time when we made the decision, we bought a used motorhome because the place we were moving to was 60 acres way out in the country and renting wasn't an option. I made a down payment on the land, had a power pole and septic tank put in and then drove the motorhome down and lived in it while I built storage buildings for our stuff from the old house. Then I installed a mobile home and brought the family and our possessions down and put the old place up for sale and when it sold I paid off this place. Been here 12 years and ain't moving again. And btw, we moved the motorhome out in to the woods and have it for a kind of camp site for when we want to get plumb out of site of the road and relax.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts