Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking pretty heavily on this subject for quite sometime now, i live with my dad and he's got his fair share of them, but as far as ammo is concerned we're lackin.

But Im looking to purchase some for myself. Where I live we have plenty of pawn shops so I'm sure I could get a deal somewhere, but I'm not sure what I would go with.

As far as a hand gun, I was thinking about a 9mm and as far as a rifle, a 22.

Ammo isn't up there in price yet so I can get ammo for both of these guns cheap now. So I was just lookin for some advice as to what type/brand to go with.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
You said that your dad has many but you do not have any as of yet. Do you have any experience with long guns or handguns?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, we used to hunt all the time. we've gotta away from it the past couple of years (parents got a divorce, and he's been kinda down) but i still do every once in a while. but i've always used his guns.

·
watching for zombies
19 Posts
well if you are gonna get a 9mm hand gun...go with a glock...you will never be disapointed..and as far as the .22 rifle...definetly a ruger 10/22...once again...wont ever be disapointed....

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
A 9 mm pistol and a .22 rifle are a good way to start your survival collection. Keep adding to it though and don't stop with just two guns because you WILL need more guns to do more things. But, yeah, a 9 mm and a .22 rifle aren't a bad idea at all.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
well if you are gonna get a 9mm hand gun...go with a glock...you will never be disapointed..and as far as the .22 rifle...definetly a ruger 10/22...once again...wont ever be disapointed....
The problem is how do you try a number of different guns without having to buy them first. Glocks are great guns for people who like Glocks, for people who's hand fits them and for people who shoot them well. They are not the right choice for everyone.

How big are your hands? How well do you tolerate recoil? Will you be carrying concealed or are you looking for a car/bedstand gun? All these issues come into play when choosing a firearm.

Do you live near a range that rents guns? If so spend the time and money to try a few 9mm. Try a Glock, a Beretta, a S&W, a 1911, a Hi power, a Kel-Tec, if money is not an issue a Kahr or 2. If you don't live where you can rent guns, then ask around to see if you have friends that will let you try theirs...

My personal favorite (most fun to shoot) 9mm is a Browning Hi-Power. It's big and heavy, but it fits my hand like a glove and shoots like a dream come true. I'm not a big Glock fan, but I have G19 that functions well. If I had to carry a 9mm everyday I'd opt for my Kahr PM9.

Allan

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I can't comment on Glocks since I never owned one. I carry an oddball 9mm of sorts. It's a Star Model B, was made for spanish police and some earlier ones for germany. It looks like a 1911. here is a pic of one.

+1 on a 10/22.

star b.jpg

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Like Birdman said, it depends on what you plan to use them for - personal protection, hunting, SHTF, concealed carry, just because, etc.

I do not care what anyone says, but pistols are made for one reason, and that is for personal protection against other people. A pistol will be your most prized weapon in an economic collapse. Most people will still go to work every day, but there will be more violent crime, and you will want to carry a pistol (or 3). This should be a consideration when choosing your pistol which you will most likely carry concealed. You should base your considerations around this. Further, pistols that are good for concealed carry will work in the nightstand just fine. Though there are some that foresee carrying their assault rifle with them everywhere they go, hanging in front of their chest, it is just very unlikely. A good pistol is your first choice for non-hunting use.

Ruger 10/22 is definitely one of the best rifles in the .22 range you can get and they are good for small game hunting at close ranges - 10 to 100 meters. Ammo is very cheap as well. These are not great for personal protection. Granted, Reagan almost died from a .22 round at close range, but had he been shot with a 9mm or larger instead, we would not have his legacy.

Other rifles and shotgun choices are very much about the user. You will need to choose based on your comfort level and ability. Do not purchase a $1500 (or $6000 if you are so inclined) sniper rifle if you do not know how to shoot at long range. You will just be wasting your money.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You need to find a gun that fits you. I love Sigs but that is because they fit me. I can shoot Glocks and have one. I have had Barettas and know they are great guns but they do not fit me. A good gun is like a good set of clothes. It needs to fit you. Rent or borrow handguns to see which feels "Right" to you. Everyone thinks they own the best gun in the world. That is good for them. Stay with the big three and you will be okay. Don't go off into the "I bought it because it was cheap" routine. Your life may depend on the quality of the handgun you buy. get the best and you will not be sorry later. Glock, Sig, or Barretta.

When you get your gun run at least 100 rounds through it to break it in. If you buy a Glock do not clean it before you shoot it. The copper looking grease is there for break in. Clean the gun after you shoot it. keep you guns clean and oiled.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hands down for your rifle I agree on the 10/22 I love mine! I also suggest spending a little time and money on the range with some rentals to see what works best for you. That said I am a fan of Glocks in the .45 caliber but I won't start that arguement. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I have a Glock 27 for carry, but I put the 15 round extended mag in it and it goes beside my bed at night. I have an old marlin 75 .22 I bought off a freind for cheap. I don't care for the tube mag, but it's just a game getter/rifle practice weapon anyways. If things get really ugly, I have an AK-47.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Glocks are excellent tools, but NOT for the novice since they are unforgiving to those who dont follow the three rules of gun safety. If you are not a "practiced handgunner" (hunting does not count!) get a Colt .45 or revolver. But this is not the place to research guns. Go to a store that rents them. Shoot some, find out what feels comfortable, then get one size larger caliber. Get trained then practice twice a month.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
... Stay with the big three and you will be okay. Don't go off into the "I bought it because it was cheap" routine. Your life may depend on the quality of the handgun you buy. get the best and you will not be sorry later. Glock, Sig, or Barretta. ...
Please don't tell S&W, H&K, Ruger and Colt they aren't in the "Big Three":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Allan

·
Registered
401 Posts
+1 to Birdman and Grinnan Barret on size.

I was like you and got my first survival guns: a S&W 9mm and a Ruger 10/22. I have big hands and am regretting the S&W b/c my bottom two fingers don't fit on the grip. I put too much stock in the salesmen's pitch and on buying American made. The 9mm fits my GF, so it will go to her and I'll have to get another handgun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts