Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put up some whole dried sweet corn but don't find it for sale anywhere. Where can I obtain 50lb sacks? I find cornmeal, maza and corn starch just not unground. I found some at $360.00 for 50lbs but this seems a bit high for corn.

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
Find a store that sells farm supplies and feed. I don't know what stores you have in TX, but in my area, this would be like Southern States or Tractor Supply. You can even buy "deer corn" in places like WalMart in the sporting goods section. From what I know (others can correct me), deer corn is supposed to be cleaner, but I could not tell from when I bought it. I just noticed it came in a camo bag and cost more than feed corn from SS.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
would deer corn be sweet corn? I kinda doubt it

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
Agh, missed the word "sweet", sorry about that. My answer was for feed corn. I would think most sweet corn would be sold to companies involved in food processing, so I can see where it might be hard to find.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I understand, feed corn is not very digestible by the human gut. Hence the problem with finding the 50lb sacks. Feed corn will be good for corn liquor though:thumb:

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
I would like to put up some whole dried sweet corn but don't find it for sale anywhere. Where can I obtain 50lb sacks? I find cornmeal, maza and corn starch just not unground. I found some at $360.00 for 50lbs but this seems a bit high for corn.
Can you grow your own? I agree that $360 is expensive. If people are going to buy it at that price I might just quit my job to grow corn. You could probably get 50 pounds of dried corn from 150 stalks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm kind of curious why you would want sweet corn instead of "feed corn".
Sweet corn makes inferior meal, it doesn't preserve well dried (too much shrinkage)
and the sugars deteriorate the longer it's stored. Feed corn (call it deer corn or yellow dent)
is not as digestible but that's more to do with the hull which can be removed by soaking. It's
better for more than shine as everyone probably already knows...it's also good for
grits, corn bread, hominy. Saying all that, I've never seen it being sold in bulk like
feed corn is EXCEPT in Mexican specialty stores...even that isn't dried rather than
more shelled and dehydrated/roasted...which is expensive. Try looking at some food
distributors that deal in so called "international" foods or packaged for use in bulk
soups by restaurants.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
360 for 50 lbs? For that price, it comes out as exensive as pine nuts or almonds. I agree, go to your local seed and feed and get a sack of organic feed corn, here it's around $36

·
Registered
146 Posts
At the risk of belaboring the point:

So the "feed" corn suitable for deer is also safe for human consumption? I.e., it doesn't have anything toxic or weird added?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any corn sold at tractor supply or anywhere far as that goes is just corn out of the field that is dried. The cost at our tractor supply is around 7.50 for 50# of feed if you want deer corn which is the same you can get it for 6.99 for 40#. So if you are worried about anything on the corn wash it then dry it again and then you can store it how ever you want too. Sweet corn that is dried has lost most of its value as sweet corn.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I have read elsewhere the feed corn was not good for human consumption. I have looked further and see this is wrong. You need to check to see that the corn has been aflatoxin tested and double-cleaned. It is also a good idea to get corn used as bird feed, as birds are more susceptible to toxins.
Thread on eating feed corn

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
I grew up on a farm where yellow corn was not allowed to be grown. My grandfather planted about 20 acres of White corn (what normal folks call feed corn) to feed the cattle and to eat. Yellow corn was a treat back then.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've never considered corn really good for anything, outside of the scale of big processors. Corn syrup? Corn Sugar? Ethanol? Grits and popcorn, maybe! But grits and popcorn are devoid of nutrition: Seems like lot's of biomass wasted in the stalks and leaves just to get a few 'ears.' I need to be enlightened!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my wife is allergic to wheat so I prep with corn or trade her for another. I live in an area that has lots of Hispanics and they use corn where we use rice. Tortillas, tamales and a list of other items.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, my wife is allergic to wheat so I prep with corn or trade her for another. I live in an area that has lots of Hispanics and they use corn where we use rice. Tortillas, tamales and a list of other items.
I'd just "trade her for another," One without allergies, maybe younger.

Couldn't resist!!! LOL

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Sounds like that bag was seed sweet corn, it runs about $7/lb here.:D:
Useless for food, only for planting,....probably is dyed indicator pink to alert you it has been fungicide treated.
The only field corn I keep for human consumption is cornmeal. Stored in the freezer it lasts for years.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Holy cow, I buy 50 ib bags at the feed store for about 6 or 7 bucks. I've ground a bit up and it works fine as course cornmeal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts