Survivalist Forum banner

Should I stay or should I go?

  • Stay in the house

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Move to the RV

    Votes: 30 85.7%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Do you smell that?
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about changing my current living conditions. I live on 5 acres with a well. I have a garden and chickens and a second well I was going to put a hand pump on. The property is is mostly treed and provides a lot of firewood. These are all the good things, the bad things are that the house is old and in need of some serious work. We also discoverd black mold in the house and I can only imagine what remediation would cost. Add to that one of my daughters is a type 1 diabetic and has celiac disease, and of course she is the one allergic to the mold.

This house is an old mobile home and not worth saving in my mind. But I love the property and location. I have a lease option on it and been negotiating the option for nearly two years. The owner got into this for $200K, owns it outright and isnt inclined to come down very much. In the current market I cannot see it being worth much more than $100K. My buddy just bought a 5 acre piece down the road, same road, unimproved for $50K. Granted this has a house and improvements, but I think the house would be wrote off as a detriment to the property value.

With all this in mind I am considering moving my family into our travel trailer. It is a little small and would be a little tough in the beginning, but we could do it. I have a place to park it at another friends house and I could pay him a couple hundred a month for the use of the space. He too has 5 acres, recently purchased for $56K with a mobile home.

If I did this, in december when I get my bonus from work I would trade the RV up for a bigger one. We have discussed this with the kids and they want to do it as well. I didnt sugar coat it and tried to paint a realistic picture, but they still want to. They know the financial burden this place is, my utility bill runs over $500 a month in the summer, and the house during the day is over 80. I have already replaced part of the duct work, most of the roof, siding and the list goes on. If I walk away I lose what I have invested to this point, but I dont know if I can afford to stay. I have a good job and make pretty good money, but this place is a drain.

If I do this I would save about 1500 a month that I would put away as a down payment for a future property, Plus we would have a little extra money to get out and do things with the girls to keep cabin fever from setting in.

So with all that, what do you guys think? Should I stick it out here or should I down size for a couple of years and bank the cash?
 

·
Do you smell that?
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really, no one has an opinion for me?
 

·
Left the building
Joined
·
9,363 Posts
I tell you something about mold. It can kill you. Even after it has dried, and is no longer black and damp.

I had an uncle that owned a motel next to a truck stop. Over the years, water would run off the lot, and seeped into the living room of his place. It just got a little damp and dried, so he never took the time to do anything. Just used a shop vac to suck up some water, then cleaned the carpet. He had a retaining wall installed, and problem solved.

But he was tearing out the old carpet, that had gotten damp over the years along one wall. He wasn't wearing a mask, and breathed some of the old spores. He was dead in less than 30 days. He was only 56. It's not something to mess around with. Out of the house!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,048 Posts
sorry but I was having a hard time digesting that you made capital improvements to a leased property. Just never heard of this.
I would go with living in the camper for a while but I dont know if I would live in my friends yard. I would look at some camp grounds that have rec room, shower house, laundry mat etc. around here you can rent one not on a lake for around 350 a month. I know this is more than your friend would charge but I think it would be worth it. It's hard on a family to not have privacy. If you are in a camp site your kids can get out and go to the rec room. You can use the shower house instead of all waiting on the one bathroom and you can have easy access to a laundry mat instead of having to drive accross town to do laundry. In addition you will not put strain on your friendship.
 

·
Do you smell that?
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys and gals. As for the improvements on the house, I did those because we intended to purchase the place. And I live in it and I dont want to live in a dump.

Everyone is telling me the samething I already thought. Looks like I will be moving towards the RV. I hate to lose this place, I love it here, but this house is just in too bad of shape. It isnt worth the risk now that we have found the mold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Move into the RV, pitch up a connecting tent to the RV and outside the tent pitch up another connecting mosquito proof tent. With a little imagination, you could be living like a Sheik.
 

·
Adventurer
Joined
·
19,333 Posts
I am thinking about changing my current living conditions. I live on 5 acres with a well. I have a garden and chickens and a second well I was going to put a hand pump on. The property is is mostly treed and provides a lot of firewood. These are all the good things, the bad things are that the house is old and in need of some serious work. We also discoverd black mold in the house and I can only imagine what remediation would cost. Add to that one of my daughters is a type 1 diabetic and has celiac disease, and of course she is the one allergic to the mold.

This house is an old mobile home and not worth saving in my mind. But I love the property and location. I have a lease option on it and been negotiating the option for nearly two years. The owner got into this for $200K, owns it outright and isnt inclined to come down very much. In the current market I cannot see it being worth much more than $100K. My buddy just bought a 5 acre piece down the road, same road, unimproved for $50K. Granted this has a house and improvements, but I think the house would be wrote off as a detriment to the property value.

With all this in mind I am considering moving my family into our travel trailer. It is a little small and would be a little tough in the beginning, but we could do it. I have a place to park it at another friends house and I could pay him a couple hundred a month for the use of the space. He too has 5 acres, recently purchased for $56K with a mobile home.

If I did this, in december when I get my bonus from work I would trade the RV up for a bigger one. We have discussed this with the kids and they want to do it as well. I didnt sugar coat it and tried to paint a realistic picture, but they still want to. They know the financial burden this place is, my utility bill runs over $500 a month in the summer, and the house during the day is over 80. I have already replaced part of the duct work, most of the roof, siding and the list goes on. If I walk away I lose what I have invested to this point, but I dont know if I can afford to stay. I have a good job and make pretty good money, but this place is a drain.

If I do this I would save about 1500 a month that I would put away as a down payment for a future property, Plus we would have a little extra money to get out and do things with the girls to keep cabin fever from setting in.

So with all that, what do you guys think? Should I stick it out here or should I down size for a couple of years and bank the cash?
round here you can get good farmland for 6000 an acre roughly and a septic system and power wouldnt be that much more for 65k you could prol get ten acres and add the improvements to it

if your industrius you could timber the land later and build yourself a small cabin
 
  • Like
Reactions: angeryamerican

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Sounds like you'll save enough for a better deal. 200k isnt worth your time even though the land is good. If there is other cheaper opportunities close by with similar acreage, I'd move while I had the chance to. Save your money by moving into the RV, and come out on top!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,207 Posts
Go with the RV the mold is nothing to mess with if you daughter is allergic to it. I don't know where you're from but if nothing is keeping you there you can get nice property in the Missouri Ozarks for around $1000 an acre. My friend just bought 50 acres with a well and electricity for $52,000.
 

·
Do you smell that?
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found 26 acres for $100K north of here. It has three ponds and backs up to a conservation area. Im really liking that piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
There are thousands and thousands of different types of mold. As humans we live with certain types of mold every day of our lives. Anyone like cheese? Also, if you want to know what the property is worth, hire a professional certified appraiser, don't guess!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
What is the property taxes yearly on acreage such as what you're all talking about? Here in NJ, one acre in my town is $8000 a year.
 

·
Armed Border Collie
Joined
·
5,901 Posts
I concur with the majority above. If you have been dealing with the landowner for two years while improving his property, you have been working against your own self interest. Mold in a home (any mold) is a health hazard and needs to be dealt with immediately.

I suggest you take an assessment of your needs and where you want to be in one year, two years and five years. This is something I do every year to adjust my plans and goals to match the reality of my situation. Even though life has dumped a pile on me a few times, I have been able to keep moving forward.

If you get the 26 acre spread with the ponds, will you be able to hunt it?
 

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
Joined
·
13,949 Posts
Hi Angryamerican, I have Celiac disease and have lived in a house with black mold. GET Out and get out ASAP! Your daughter will have or is probably having problems right now. I imagine she's starting to have aches and pains and just generally dosen't feel good maybe? Like she's been glutened, but it's not from the gluten but the black mold.
It put me in the hospital for 2 weeks.
Good luck and tell your youngin I said hi from another Celiac.:)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top