Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Am looking at buying one of these three knives - RAT-7; Recon Scout; Fallkniven A2 (or maybe A1?).

I've read up and just can't decide on which one I'd find most useful in general woods work (batoning/chopping/cutting/fire making/shelter making).

I'm leaning slightly toward the A1/A2 at this point. RAT 7 is made in USA, Recon Scout isn't, but its a proven worker, and Fallkniven's from Sweden and the Mora's I have I love.

Thoughts? Am I leaving a good one out?
Thanks

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
You've got a tough decision there. My last choice would be the Recon Scout. I think either the RAT 7 or the A2 would both be very good knives, with my own personal tastes leaning towards the RAT -flat grind, full tang, US made. I have no real experience with beating on laminated blades, but it seems the A2 is a quite capable chopper.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to bring this up, but instead of one big knife, would it be possible for you to carry a small hatchet for the chopping and a smaller bladed knife for the other finer chores? A decent hatchet will outchop any of these knives, but isn't always an option. I know that for what I mostly get out in the woods for, a hatchet isn't a choice and it may not be for you, but it is worth considering.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I could go on and on about the merits of my Rat-7, RTAKII, and RC4 (all designed by Randell Adventure Training), but I wont. Just buy one, you'll love it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Am I leaving a good one out?
Don't forget about the KA-BAR made Becker Knife & Tool blades. The BK-9 is a hell of a beast, and so is it's smaller cousin the BK-7. Both can be had for $75 or less.

Ontario is just days away from releasing their production line of Justin Gingrich designed Ranger knives. You might want to consider looking at the Ranger RD9 or RD7 as well. These also can be had for $90-$100.

No one is going to say a single bad word about you going the Fallkniven route either. Those are great knives.

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I had forgot that KA-BAR had brought back the BK&T (shame on me). The BK-7 or -9 would be excellent choices.

Those Ranger RDs look just like RATs but with clip points. They do have much thicker steel than the other knives discussed so far it seems.

Not sure what the guidelines are here posting a link to another board, though many here read it as well, so I'm going to PM you with a link, swd.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Falkniven! Such a sweet knife.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those Ranger RDs look just like RATs but with clip points. They do have much thicker steel than the other knives discussed so far it seems.
Ranger has their 5" drop point Afghan as well. Sometime later in 2009, Ontario will be producing larger sized Afghans for those who prefer a drop point over a clip point. If one is impatient, they can have Justin make a "custom" version now for a bit more coin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Surprisingly, nobody has too much to say about the Recon.. so I'll narrow it down to the RAT and A1 (or A2).

BUT can you give me a little more info on that Ranger RD9 Pronger865 mentioned? Are we talking a 9" blade? Stainless? I can't seem to find out much about it. I'd consider it too if it falls to the $100 price point or so.

Also, I was looking at the RTAK 2, and I like it, but can anybody give me an idea of its backbone? Its a good looking blade, but not sure if it'd stand up to off-line baton hits without bending or something.
I know the fallkniven's are pretty stocky on the topside edge. The RAT 7 isn't as much either, but it's not a mondo long blade like the RTAK is.

Thanks again. Great to find such help here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Don't forget about the KA-BAR made Becker Knife & Tool blades. The BK-9 is a hell of a beast, and so is it's smaller cousin the BK-7. Both can be had for $75 or less.

Ontario is just days away from releasing their production line of Justin Gingrich designed Ranger knives. You might want to consider looking at the Ranger RD9 or RD7 as well. These also can be had for $90-$100.

No one is going to say a single bad word about you going the Fallkniven route either. Those are great knives.
Thanks, yeah KABAR are definitely worth considering also. Hopefully there'll be some post-Christmas sales and I'll be able to pick up a couple knives.

Wait I want to edit this... I thought Camillus and Becker were the combination? It's KABAR and Becker?

·
Registered
50 Posts
BUT can you give me a little more info on that Ranger RD9 Pronger865 mentioned? Are we talking a 9" blade? Stainless? I can't seem to find out much about it. I'd consider it too if it falls to the $100 price point or so.
Ranger Knives was founded by several retired US Army Rangers.

Ranger RD9
5160 HIGH CARBON STEEL BLADE
BLACK TEXTURED POWDER COAT FINISH
RD 9 BLADE LENGTH: 9-1/2"
RD 9 BLADE THICKNESS: 1/4"
RD 9 OVERALL LENGTH: 15-1/4"
RC HARDNESS: 57-58 RC
HANDLE/SLABS: BLACK MICARTA
BLACK NYLON SHEATH WITH PLASTIC INSERT
MANUFACTURER: ONTARIO KNIFE CO. (MADE IN THE USA)
DESIGNER: JUSTIN GINGRICH OF RANGER KNIVES

Also, I was looking at the RTAK 2, and I like it, but can anybody give me an idea of its backbone? Its a good looking blade, but not sure if it'd stand up to off-line baton hits without bending or something.
Ontario RTAK II
Overall Length: 16.50"
Blade Length: 10.00"
Blade Thickness: 0.187"
Blade Material: 1095 Tool Steel Carbon
Handle Material: Green Canvas Micarta
Handle Length: 6.50"
Sheath: Cordura

If you are worried about spine thickness with batoning, the Ontario Ranger RD9 is thicker while giving up half an inch in length. Both will be priced within a couple dollars of each other.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I believe solid, removable, scales or handles, on a solid piece of steel is a distinct advantage. There is no way I will miss the opportunity to buy an RD7, under 100.00.

RD's, RATs, Beckers, etc...

Cold Steel Recon Scout is a great bargain, with it's sweet sheath.
RAT 7 is a keeper.
Kabar Beckers are great bargains.

A good sheath is very important, because if you look down and find it empty...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would go with the RAT as well. The RTAKII WILL be my next knife purchase. I own 2 other RAT knives and love them.
Go to youtube and check out a guy by the name: nutnfancy he just did an outdoor review of the RTAKII, and he has several other reviews of knives on his channel. The RTAKII is a very strong knife for a large survival/utility knife.
The Ka-bar is another great knife as well as stated previously.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts