Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a new idea or even that earth moving, but I've been thinking about it for the last couple of weeks and wanted to see what others thought. About four miles from my house is a river that has areas that are well known and visited, and some because of private property and other access issues is not well visited. One section in particular I would like to visit is where a major road goes over it. The bridge is high enough that it is hard to see the river except from large trucks and suv's. There is also a bike/jogging trail that runs along the road, but no real parking spaces at the bridge or in the general area. My idea is to hike the trail, bush wack down to the river, and stake out a little area under the bridge(not sure how far the easement goes) for fishing and a place to practice survival techniques in relative seclusion.

Some of the problems I see with this is... I can park close to the bridge so that I'm not hiking the entire four miles, or I can hike the entire four miles, but then I wonder how I would look weighted down with pack, etc. Attracting attention bush wacking on the side of the road, etc.

Has anyone ever done such a scenario?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It's not a new idea or even that earth moving, but I've been thinking about it for the last couple of weeks and wanted to see what others thought. About four miles from my house is a river that has areas that are well known and visited, and some because of private property and other access issues is not well visited. One section in particular I would like to visit is where a major road goes over it. The bridge is high enough that it is hard to see the river except from large trucks and suv's. There is also a bike/jogging trail that runs along the road, but no real parking spaces at the bridge or in the general area. My idea is to hike the trail, bush wack down to the river, and stake out a little area under the bridge(not sure how far the easement goes) for fishing and a place to practice survival techniques in relative seclusion.

Some of the problems I see with this is... I can park close to the bridge so that I'm not hiking the entire four miles, or I can hike the entire four miles, but then I wonder how I would look weighted down with pack, etc. Attracting attention bush wacking on the side of the road, etc.

Has anyone ever done such a scenario?

Go hike the CDT, AT or PCT. Go from start to finish. 4 miles is NOTHING and you'll get plenty of time to work out any kinks in your gear. Plenty of time..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go hike the CDT, AT or PCT. Go from start to finish. 4 miles is NOTHING and you'll get plenty of time to work out any kinks in your gear. Plenty of time..
Agree with that. I do longer hikes in the area including parts of the AT. However, I was looking to do something closer to home that would be easier and quicker to get to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts