Votes: 15 37.5%
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
Packed and Ready
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have a choice.

1. Buy a home out in the country with approx 3 acres or less. Approx. 30 minutes from the farthest edge of town.

2. Buy approx 40 undeveloped acres way out in the boonies that can be hunted on, but has no buildings or access to utilities. No money available in the foreseeable future to do much meaningful with the land. (This would mean a Bug Out if something went sideways in the town/suburb you would live in)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I lived 53 miles from any appreciable services.
10 miles from a tribal truck stop and commuted 35 miles every day for 6 years and 63 miles for two more years in order to obtaine the 'rural life".

But I made huge mistakes and those mistakes in the end made it un sustainable.

1: Was where there was no real potable water.
2: Land turned out to be infertile and unairable.
3: On a road that needed constant maintenance with heavy equipment.
4: Insistence on electrical systems over propane or Nat. gas.

So if you are dependant on having a job, then and only unless you have the ability to support it, closer to town and facilities are desirable.
Loneliness and a lack of social connection makes people weird. Trust me on this, unless your a total loner, it will affect you mentally. Social support is critical especially for surviving. You cannot survive on your own without paying a heavy price.

Steel sharpens steel as it were.

Forget about "hiding from the man".
Records of land transactions are held by the county clerk/assessor. Believe me. THEY CAN FIND YOU! Just bring up Google Earth some time.

And GE is LOW END resolution! High end resolution done by companies like Pictometry makes imagery you can measure off of.

Think outside the box a bit before you make any decisions. If this was 1980, hiding out from the man was easy.
This is 2020, and they can and will find you!

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
If you came here looking for opinions, you came to the right place.

Short version is, unless you are single and prepared to live like a homeless person for however long it takes you to build a permanent dwelling, option #1 is the only real choice.

You can do a lot with 3 acres. We are on only 1.25ac and we have room for a big garden, and enough trees to keep us in wood. On 3ac you'd do better. Especially since if you're on good relations with your neighbors there, they'll probably let you hunt and fish on the adjacent land anyway. I'd love to have the back 40 but you gotta live too.

·
Registered
Packed and Ready
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you define as the boonies?
The nearest major city is 1.75 hour drive. The nearest town (pop 8K) is 12 miles as the crow flies. It is 3.5 miles from the main road. It is 2 miles from a rural road, but there is no vehicle access from it to the property.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The nearest major city is 1.75 hour drive. The nearest town (pop 8K) is 12 miles as the crow flies. It is 3.5 miles from the main road. It is 2 miles from a rural road, but there is no vehicle access from it to the property.

Does the property have an easement? Can you eventually build a road on the easement to get access to the property? If not that property isn't of much value. And building a 2 mile private road is no small project.

I am actually looking at buying a piece of property very similar, but the front of it is 1/2 mile from the road. If I bought it there would be an easement. The property in front(owned by the same guy) has a gravel pit on it so could get the material for building up the road for free as long as I also build up his roads as well.

Our idea is to build a cheap house, move in, then as money is available we will add convinces like running water, sewer and eventually electricity. Although I have an understanding wife and my kids are getting to the age they will start moving out soon so we don't need a large home anymore.

I have also found it is often only about 1/3 more the price to buy 40 acres than to buy 5 acres in an area already sub divided ready to build.

·
Registered
Packed and Ready
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the property have an easement? Can you eventually build a road on the easement to get access to the property? If not that property isn't of much value. And building a 2 mile private road is no small project.

I am actually looking at buying a piece of property very similar, but the front of it is 1/2 mile from the road. If I bought it there would be an easement. The property in front(owned by the same guy) has a gravel pit on it so could get the material for building up the road for free as long as I also build up his roads as well.

Our idea is to build a cheap house, move in, then as money is available we will add convinces like running water, sewer and eventually electricity. Although I have an understanding wife and my kids are getting to the age they will start moving out soon so we don't need a large home anymore.

I have also found it is often only about 1/3 more the price to buy 40 acres than to buy 5 acres in an area already sub divided ready to build.
Yes there is an easement. As I mentioned in the OP though, additional money spent on the property would not be likely though. The road is passable now, but if it gets worse and 4x4 is a requirement, that may be how it is. Any building would be done with reclaimed materials I could find or very slowly as money did permit.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You have a choice.

1. Buy a home out in the country with approx 3 acres or less. Approx. 30 minutes from the farthest edge of town.

2. Buy approx 40 undeveloped acres way out in the boonies that can be hunted on, but has no buildings or access to utilities. No money available in the foreseeable future to do much meaningful with the land. (This would mean a Bug Out if something went sideways in the town/suburb you would live in)
Split the difference. Look for 5-10 acres with a house and electricity a little farther out than the first option, but not as far out as the second.

·
Registered
Packed and Ready
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Split the difference. Look for 5-10 acres with a house and electricity a little farther out than the first option, but not as far out as the second.
I would love to, but buy-in from the spouse is the limiting factor on how FAR out we move if I go the house route.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Get that easement in writing or on a survey.
Hopefully you have an actual survey of the property, either Boundary or subdivision.

When you measure it out, (legally only a surveyor can actually call the points) be sure to use a tenths tape.
The measurements you see on those are in tenths, not twelfths.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have large acreage in the boonies already developed and a house in town. I'm selling the house in town to pay off the place in the boonies. Money solves pretty much everything. If you don't have electric or water you have to have an actual plan on how you are going to get those things. Wells are very complex having usually: a mechanical motor, a physical pump head, a control box with capacitor, a main breaker of 220V electricity, and under water connections if you go with submersible which is the most efficient. Then if you want to store any you need a second system, with a cistern and a float switch. And you don't know if you will even hit water if you dig. Some water wells have to go 300' and that gets expensive. A utility pole for electricity is a couple thousand a piece and you need one every 500' or so. There are also different laws and regulations in different states for who can even dig a well or put in electrical poles. Same with building a house. Then you have to think of a septic system or are you going to go real low tech with a composting toilet. It depends on how many amenities you are accustomed to and expect. Most of us expect at least: water, electricity, sewer. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I did #1.

Back when my parents bought the property it was more isolated and less developed, but since 1976 the area has changed. At age 72 I am content with things as they are. I can walk to good hunting and fishing, shoot out of my windows and tend a small garden, but am only 20 miles from the VA medical center, my dentist, cardiologist and eye doctor. Having Tractor Supply and Home Depot within easy distance is also helpful.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
You have a choice.

Its well below freezing where I live today, with 24mph hour winds.

If you drove to a 40 acre bug out property here with no shelter waiting on it, you might be even worse off than you’d be in the place you’re fleeing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its well below freezing where I live today, with 24mph hour winds.

If you drove to a 40 acre bug out property here with no shelter waiting on it, you might be even worse off than you’d be in the place you’re fleeing.
This exactly. Being totally self sufficient is very hard. When the rubber meets the road it is a lot of moving parts and planning years in advance. It can get to - 40 where I am. That will freeze well heads, kill animals, make outdoor repairs impossible, keep by backhoe from starting to even plow my way out lol. There is something to be said for making the fortress in the urban setting. Remote, it's a lifestyle choice you pay for but you get way more freedom to do it your way. Just my take after having done both.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
This exactly. Being totally self sufficient is very hard. When the rubber meets the road it is a lot of moving parts and planning years in advance. It can get to - 40 where I am. That will freeze well heads, kill animals, make outdoor repairs impossible, keep by backhoe from starting to even plow my way out lol. There is something to be said for making the fortress in the urban setting. Remote, it's a lifestyle choice you pay for but you get way more freedom to do it your way. Just my take after having done both.

Even the assumption that you could drive to the bug-out property is sketchy. Many remote places don’t have winter maintenance on the roads, or have so much work that the road you need to use could be drifted shut with 5 feet of snow for several days.

I’m sure you know this - but some people really don’t.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
On road maintenance, there are alot of simple items that keep the roads passable even without heavy equipment.

this includes dragging railroad ties and/or mobile home hitches across the ground.
But the sloping aspect is lost in that.
done BEFORE winter, and after raines, makes them alot more workable.

Where I lived for a while, we had the calichie which turns to slime when wet.
(Think My cousin Vinny).

By driving it and compacting it down regularly, the surface hardens to an extent. then re-grading it periodically will maintain a good surface that is partially water resistant.

Lime of some kind will further harden it. Where gullies and culverts are at, apply a goodly amount of rip-rap. (rocks or concrete) to prevent erosion.

if you have access a layer of geo-textile will also keep things in order.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would opinion the idea that in order to survive, to thrive, you need people, you need a community.

Living in the middle of nowhere:
Who would your children interact with?
Who would you interact with?
trade with?
gossip with?
Get help from?

I'm not suggesting you need a large community but I would value a small community and interaction with other people.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would opinion the idea that in order to survive, to thrive, you need people, you need a community.

Living in the middle of nowhere:
Who would your children interact with?
Who would you interact with?
trade with?
gossip with?
Get help from?

I'm not suggesting you need a large community but I would value a small community and interaction with other people.
^^ this!

Been there done that.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts