Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tent I use now is too big and heavy. It's gotta go. I'm getting too old to carry all this [email protected] around the woods.

I want a bivy type that is just big enough for me and maybe a little gear. Cabela's has one for $30 dollars, but how good can it be for that?? ****'s Sports has one for $69, and EMS has them for $200 and up!! Huge difference in price!

What's the difference in quality? I don't mind spending more if I'm not getting ripped-off. Anyone had any experience with any of these, or any others?

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Try campmor they have all kinds of tents. The Eureka solitare is a super light (3lbs I think) and is between $60-90 depending where you get it. Bass Pro Shops has decent tent prices too.

·
free man
626 Posts
The more expensive ones are waterproof breathable. It would be hard to believe the $30-70 version being that. Even the more $ ones can build up huge condensation tho since a bivy is cramped and tight(try changing cloths or cooking in one) and ventivation/circulation is a problem.

Larger bivys have poles and weigh almost as much as say, a full blown 1 man tent such as the Sierra Designs Light Year(2.3lbs look at Campmor for this awesome tent). But the bivys are less useful in my view.

Many use a lighter bivy bag 'cover'(I use the light weight 15oz Mtn Hardware Stormlight bag cover, for instance) thats still very water "resistant(still has taped seams, which is a must)" and more breathable..and then use a light tarp like my ID silnylon 8x5 tarp thats only 9oz in weight. This gives you a dry shelter to change, cook, hang out under, etc..but also the protection of a bivy bag cover from wind blow rain, snow, etc. Total weight for the bivy bag and tarp is less then 2lbs and much more versatile.

Larger bivy with poles. North Face. No thats not me. These are all friends I hike with sometimes.

10x5 Silnylon tarp used with a light bag cover. Also LW shelter at only 13oz. Note treeking poles in use.

Another with the Mtn Hardware bivy bag cover. 15oz for the cover+13oz for the tarp. Awesome setup.

Couple Mtn Hardware bivy bag covers. The sleeping pad is inside between the bag and cover.

Or a Moss Parawing as a tarp and a lighter bag cover underneith. This also uses your 2 trekking poles. Goes up in seconds.

Many have found that the plastic used over windows(called Storm guard I think) works also as a super light yet tough ground cloth.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What's the difference in quality? I don't mind spending more if I'm not getting ripped-off.
The difference is waterproof and breathable, material strength and light weight, double/triple stitched seams, better/lighter/stronger hardware, etc... When buying from some place like Wiggys you get what you pay for which is an extremely resilient, light weight, waterproof yet breathable, well made, and well thought out product.

--Wintermute

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a bivanorak,it looks like a really long rain parka it's big enough to go over a mummy bag and pad.and you can wear ot over a pack during the day for rain protection.it's a swedish air force survival kit item. available from hilleburg.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
US modular sleeping system. its heavy but its well worth it. you cant go wrong with a gore-tex bivy system.
I would 2nd that, I have slept in relative comfort outside in a drizzle down to around 32 degrees and in the snow down to around 15 degrees using all 3 parts of the system. If you watch Ebay, you can get pretty good deals on the system, I bought 3 for $300 delivered and they were good as new.

It IS bulky and my first choice would be a silnylon tarp and a warm bag, but the versatility of the multipiece system can't be beat!!! I have used multiple combination of the pieces and have been very pleased with the results.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, guys (and/or girls) for all the useful posts. It helped. I have until spring to decide on a new one but now I know what to look for as far as stitching, waterproofing, breathability, etc.

Special thanks to Duckman for all the effort and pic.

The Bum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts