Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased (3) 275 gallon IBC totes that were used with a bladder for baby food ingredients (food safe). Members of our prep group are going to use these to supplement our water storage and we need to figure out some type of outlet valve. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because every other IBC tote I've ever seen has a 2" NPT threaded discharge coming off the the outlet valve. The tanks we picked up have what appears to be a 3.5" buttress threaded tube coming out of the butterfly valve. Our problem is that I can't even find a reference to anything 3.5" on an IBC tote. Admittedly I'm not that familiar with the various fittings/valves which is why I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction. Basically, I'm looking for some type of connection to go from 3.5" buttress thread down to a 2" NPT thread (or some other size NPT thread) so that I can install a hose spigot and hose to the water tank (makes periodic draining/refilling MUCH easier). Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about.

Tanks -

Valve -

Measurement of valve (sorry for crappy cell phone pics)

Thanks in advance for any help or input. My last option is to drill out the cap that is currently in place and fabricate something of my own - just trying to avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
can't really tell from the pick, is it grooved for a cam-lock type coupling? If so you can go to a vac-truck supply wholesaler and pick up a reducer. If not you can find the valve you want at a poly tank manufacturer and drill the right size hole in the bottom. You sould be able to get a valve with a flange and rubber gasket on both sides of the tank and they tighten together. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input savagelh. It is not a cam-lock coupling. My research leads me to believe it is called a "buttress" thread. Hopefully I can find some type of screw on coupling that will get me to NPT threads. If I'm able to get to NPT threads I'm gtg. If not, I like your idea of a new valve with the rubber gasket and replacing the whole thing (if it's not cost prohibitive). Right now I'm going to keep searching for the correct coupling

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I've seen several different fittings on the IBC tanks. I went to a local pipe and irrigation store and they had all the fittings and adapters. It's a standard size, but I couldn't tell you what.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a male threaded fitting to go on the container itself , then a reducer [which you'll probably have to glue on] and then fittings to get you to the hose end; shouldn't be too many pieces altogether. Another way to do it might be to get a plug and drill the proper size hole in it and use something that you screw to the plug on the inside.

You also need someone who can explain how to use the glue on the fittings if you aren't already familiar with how to, and don't sand/abrade the plastic - it leaves the joint more prone to leaks.

If you can't find a fitting that will do, you might want to see if you can find a plumber who could cut the threads in one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think i have the one like that

i have been dealing with this guy, and these look like the ones that i have, maybe he can get you what you need?

i found him just on google, try ibc totes, or fittings, i think he should come up.

i don't have time to look up the number right know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.