Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Prepper's Dog Breeder
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so many of Jerry's stories, I have been re-thinking my BOL which is to close to the Ocean and almost at sea level, Poor Quality Soil Gardening, No elevation for Underground structures due to water level and At the hunting camp, I will have to deal with un-prepped Members who show up with out any supplies. It is also across the city, which I will have to travel threw to get to my BOL which could be a nightmare. So I am looking for a place in the South Ga. or North Fa. area, to join in with, help set up, or Start with other members. Need other like minded families to network with, for property buy in, Lease with and such.If you or anyone you know have a place, seek to join in or band together please drop me a line and lets talk.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
After reading so many of Jerry's stories, I have been re-thinking my BOL which is to close to the Ocean and almost at sea level, Poor Quality Soil Gardening, No elevation for Underground structures due to water level and At the hunting camp, I will have to deal with un-prepped Members who show up with out any supplies. It is also across the city, which I will have to travel threw to get to my BOL which could be a nightmare. So I am looking for a place in the South Ga. or North Fa. area, to join in with, help set up, or Start with other members. Need other like minded families to network with, for property buy in, Lease with and such.If you or anyone you know have a place, seek to join in or band together please drop me a line and lets talk.
I'm afraid that's NOT the way to go about it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You got to start somewhere, if your in Florida and seen 75 or 95 during an evac you know we are all screwed here. I say good for you for trying to get something going.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Guess you missed the point- most people serious enough to put in the years of labor and $$ to develop a real BOL are not going to shop through websites looking for folks to invite. I'm afraid it just doesn't happen that way. They might over time develop a relationship with someone AFTER THEY HAVE MET THEM and then it might go to that point. But putting up what corresponds to a "help wanted" ad is not how it happens.

The correct way to get started is to start to actually meet other like minded folks face to face. Then you start sifting the wheat from the chaff, key word being START. Just because someone posts on the same message board that you do does NOT mean they are compatible with you or that they are even really like minded!

I can't tell you how many hundreds of folks are on message boards crying that they want to meet others, yet when a meet and greet, campout, gunshow gathering, BBQ, etc. is held they don't show up and it's always bullcrap like "Oh well it was a 30 minute drive for me" or "I had to floss my toes that weekend, but if you want to group together with me, I'm all about it." Yeah right, I'll buy that for a dollar!

Spending the time to meet someone FTF shows the first step of willingness to move forward.

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Guess you missed the point- most people serious enough to put in the years of labor and $$ to develop a real BOL are not going to shop through websites looking for folks to invite. I'm afraid it just doesn't happen that way. They might over time develop a relationship with someone AFTER THEY HAVE MET THEM and then it might go to that point. But putting up what corresponds to a "help wanted" ad is not how it happens.

The correct way to get started is to start to actually meet other like minded folks face to face. Then you start sifting the wheat from the chaff, key word being START. Just because someone posts on the same message board that you do does NOT mean they are compatible with you or that they are even really like minded!

I can't tell you how many hundreds of folks are on message boards crying that they want to meet others, yet when a meet and greet, campout, gunshow gathering, BBQ, etc. is held they don't show up and it's always bullcrap like "Oh well it was a 30 minute drive for me" or "I had to floss my toes that weekend, but if you want to group together with me, I'm all about it." Yeah right, I'll buy that for a dollar!

Spending the time to meet someone FTF shows the first step of willingness to move forward.
Well said. A bit harsh...but well said none the less.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well said. A bit harsh...but well said none the less.
True. I've been hosting campouts, meet and greets, BBQ's, shoots, etc. in two states (FL and GA) for over 6 years now. It does make you a little jaded to see people act like "No one ever does anything in this area" on message boards when more than likely than not, an event is within 2-3 hours driving distance of them.

Their is more than a few folks on this board that will tell you I have driven 5-6 hours for small meet and greets, heck I've driven to North Carolina to give classes for free at campouts.

It's all about motivation. The way people start to prove that they are serious about meeting others is to actually get off their arses and MEET OTHERS. That never happens while holding a mouse in your hand. And I've NEVER seen someone show up to an event and say "Hey folks I have this killer BOL and I'm looking for people I've never met before to come and stay there with me."

The bottom line is that you have to put in TIME AND EFFORT into building real relationships with people if you truly want to be able to depend on them when the time comes.

That being said, I've seen a lot of folks build real friendships from meeting at events, heck I've seen some folks get married (male and female) and I know one pair that is fixing to get married. Connections can be made at events, but they are rarely made FOR REAL by sitting behind a computer.

It's the TIME AND EFFORT that keep it from happening for most people, they aren't willing to put those things in.

And in no way was I suggesting that the OP shouldn't try to meet others, he was just starting off the wrong way that's all.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I was just saying good for him for trying, thanks to you for giving him some pointers on how to go about it. All good no worries.:upsidedown:

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
True. I've been hosting campouts, meet and greets, BBQ's, shoots, etc. in two states (FL and GA) for over 6 years now. It does make you a little jaded to see people act like "No one ever does anything in this area" on message boards when more than likely than not, an event is within 2-3 hours driving distance of them.

Their is more than a few folks on this board that will tell you I have driven 5-6 hours for small meet and greets, heck I've driven to North Carolina to give classes for free at campouts.

It's all about motivation. The way people start to prove that they are serious about meeting others is to actually get off their arses and MEET OTHERS. That never happens while holding a mouse in your hand. And I've NEVER seen someone show up to an event and say "Hey folks I have this killer BOL and I'm looking for people I've never met before to come and stay there with me."

The bottom line is that you have to put in TIME AND EFFORT into building real relationships with people if you truly want to be able to depend on them when the time comes.

That being said, I've seen a lot of folks build real friendships from meeting at events, heck I've seen some folks get married (male and female) and I know one pair that is fixing to get married. Connections can be made at events, but they are rarely made FOR REAL by sitting behind a computer.

It's the TIME AND EFFORT that keep it from happening for most people, they aren't willing to put those things in.

And in no way was I suggesting that the OP shouldn't try to meet others, he was just starting off the wrong way that's all.
Lowdown, i tried sending you a PM but your box is full. Basically, i was wondering where abouts in GA you host your events? Send me a pm if you dont want to answer here.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ape- Douglas area in South Georgia. Next one will be Jan 8, 9 and 10th, 2010. I'll post more as the date gets closer.

We will host one in Ocala, Florida area in mid December also. Last Ocala campout someone who was NOT involved with the organization or hosting of the camp nor had ever even attended one, cross posted it with a "come one and all let's get free food and training and we will have our OWN meet and greet there" aka piggyback off someone else work. That same person was contacted and he agreed to take that part out of his post, but he NEVER DID. Not exactly the way to win hearts and minds ya know. :eek:

When trying to meet up with others, folks just need to search their hearts and conscience and mind the "golden rule." I.e, think about others first. Selfish people rarely make it in real groups for long.

I'll post more about the campout in Georgia as it gets closer. The N. Georgia folks were talking about hosting a gathering up there on the "Events and gatherings" board and I didn't want to seem like this was trying to "compete" with them, so I'll wait a bit before posting info on the Douglas campout.

I think my email address is on my profile is the PM thing doesn't work.

Lowdown3

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
The rash of threads similar to this across the net is amusing. No offense OP. But it reminds me of shrek when donkey is jumping up and down yelling " pick me..pick me......":D:

Everyone says they do not have time. But as LD3 said,if people are serious about being invited to a group or starting one they need to put some effort into it.

Just an example.
What if i said i had 400 acres with a sustainable BOL in place 1 hour from almost any in central Florida. We are talking the real deal here, not look at my hunt camp,BOL but exactly what you would read about in books and all the survival stories on the web!
I could actually host a meet/greet days after posting that, with pictures and would anyone care to wager how many people will show up?
None.

Yet with in days more " time is short, what do i do..." threads will pop up from those same people that cried time is short!!!!

I applaud the OP for trying. Function was there but not form:thumb:
FWIW anywhere in Fla pretty much sucks except for a few areas. Your going to have to cross bad areas and deal with obstacles.
See you at the next camp out;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts