Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I work with is looking for a wood burning stove. He is not every computer savvy, so he asked me to look one up for him. Right now he is looking at the Vogelzang HH005, which has a suggested retail price of $925.

Ok group, lets hear some suggestions and information on wood burning stoves.

Requirements:

< or @ $950.00
If he has to pick it up, the store has to be within 100 miles of the 75951 zip code.

Example of the HH005

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Kev- are you looking specifically for a cookstove? Pic looked to me like it was a cookstove.

In retrospect, that's what we SHOULD have bought for our living room. We bought a Waterford "Erin" model that while it's awful pretty to look at, doesn't have much room on top of it to cook. We have cooked on it, it will fit a frying pan and a pot, that's about it.

I was thinking aesthetics not functionality- I wanted a pretty looking wood stove in the living room instead of a cookstove. Now I regret that decision.

We bought another model, a Waterford "Leprechan" that we have never installed. The house is fairly small and we found that with well seasoned wood the Erin just about puts us out of the house if we keep it too well stoked. The Leprechan was supposed to go in our bedroom but it would have been overkill.

We have one of these $99. Vogelzang stoves in our guest house/hunt camp house. It's much cheaper materials but heats up quicker. I suspect in the middle of the night the heat leaves it quicker than ours though.

Good luck on the stoves.

Lowdown3

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Heartland Appliances Wood & Coal Stoves Emergency & Camping Stoves Contact Information Home Page

Sheepherder® - Heat and Cook Stove
A must item for emergency use!

Dimensions - 25"L x 16"W x 19"H
Weight - 189 lbs.
Cooking Surface - 28" x 20"
Oven Size - 16"D x 12"W x 9"H
Wall Thickness - 1/4" steel plate, airtight construction, brass fittings and handles.
Vent - 6" diameter stack
Heating Space - 800+ square feet
Stove Height with Leg Kit - 33"
We offer a larger version of this stove with our Big Bear Sheepherder Cook and Heat Stove

Options:

* Cerame Glass in Oven Door
* Magnetic Oven Temperature Gauge
* Leg Extensions
* Stainless Steel side-mount snap-on 2 gallon Water Reservoir
* Mobile Home Fresh Air Kit
* Other models and sizes are also available.

This modern Wood/Coal-burning Heat-Cook Stove with Oven has classic "old-time" appearance and dependability used throughout the world. Exhaust venting is easily accomplished by placing near windows or a fireplace. Ideal for use as an open-air campstove.

In the event of an earthquake, adverse weather, and the subsequent loss of electricity, how will you cook for your family?

The Sheepherder® Cook Stove is an essential part of any disaster-preparedness program. It is very compact with a functional cooking surface of 28" x 20" and an oven size of 16" D x 12" W x 9" H with a lift out rack. It is the perfect component to any food storage or survival plan.

Without utilities, what will you use for fuel?

This modern Cook Stove heats over 800+ square feet while burning wood or coal. Wood and Coal are stored easily and safely. Compare this to flammable liquid fuels! This stove features 1/4" steel plate air tight construction and will last a life time under normal use. Modern technical design coupled with "Old-Time" appearance and dependability, make the Sheepherder the best disaster insurance you can buy. With a large firebox, it is easily vented into a fireplace or window temporarily using a 6" diameter stack. Ideal for use as an open-air camp stove.

The Sheepherder® Cook Stove is a must for every Food Storage Program....and it's very affordable!

At only $749, this stove is perfectly priced for those who want to guarantee their family's warmth and self-sufficiency during emergency conditions. The Sheepherder® Cook Stove was designed specifically for disasters.

Made in U.S.A.
Shipped F.O.B. Salt Lake City

Price $749, Quantity Discounts Available

Sorry, no C.O.D. orders.
Low Freight Rates. F.O.B. Salt Lake City, Utah
Dealer Inquiries Invited!
Sheepherder® Cook Stove (Dark Green or Charcoal)
Price: $749.00
Cerame Glass in Oven Door
Price: $39.95
15 inch Leg Extension Set with Glide Buttons
Price: $29.95
15 inch Leg Extension Set with Welded Swivel Casters
Price: $49.95
Oven Temperature Gauge
Price: $19.95
Stainless Steel Water Tank
Price: $135.95
Fresh Air Intake Kit
for use in Mobile Homes
Price: No Charge
Soot Scraper
Price: $10.95
Warming Shelf
Price: $149.95
6" Oval to Round Pipe Adapter
6" Damper to go in Single Wall Pipe 5 ft. from Floor
Home | Gas | Electric | Dual Fuel | Double Oven | Refrigerator | Cook/Heat | Camping | Shopping Cart | Contact Us

Transocean Limited
Energy House®
Keith M. Olsen, Director
3902 South Main
Salt Lake City, UT 84107
(801) 261-3210
Toll Free: (877) 440-6481
Fax: (801) 262-2701

Top of Page

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
From MidwayUSA

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=950218&t=11082005

Cylinder Stove Outfitter Stove Package

Product #: 950218
Our Price: $484.99

Heats 14' x 16' to 16' x 20' tents for 10 to 11 hours using a 5" stove pipe
28" x 16" x 13" (L x W x H) with 23-1/2" high legs
Weighs 90 lbs
Includes stove, warming tray and water heater

Attention!
Montana Canvas tents and Cylinder Stoves are shipped directly from the manufacturer. All shipping costs are included in the price. Please allow 2 to 4 weeks for delivery.

Technical Information

Notes:

Includes stove, warming tray and heater

Stove is 28" long x 16" wide x 13" high (23-1/2" high with legs)

Volume is 2.5 cubic feet

Works with 5" stovepipe hole

Heats a tent of 14' x 16' to 16' x 20'

Holds heat for 10 to 11 hours

Weight 90 lbs

Attachments

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Better find someone who owns and uses the model you select. I used to cook and heat on one like the HH005 kev posted only it had 4 large burners and a water trough. It never got hot enough to het with wood and burned the food with coal. Also check the fire box size. Many of them only take 12 or 14 inch wood and if all yours is cut 18, you got a problem. Cut it to 9s and it won't burn right.

Any how find someone who owns the model your interested in and ask a lot of questions. Its too late once it gets cold to experiment and having every door and window open in the spring and fall has problems of its own.

One more thing. Get two of the spring thermometers. One for the pipe out and one to stick on the burners or in the oven.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not exactly the feedback you may be looking for Kev, but I've seen several on craigslist over the past two or three months. Some were in really good condition, others not so good. But if price is an object, I'd tell your buddy to keep his eyes on CL. FWIW. I just bought a wood burning stove off CL, but it's not the cooking type. Does have a flat top on it so you can cook off it, just not designed for it. $2300 worth of stove and piping for $200. Score! :thumb:

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Basically repeating what LBS just said.
Look in antique and resale shops, thats where I got my boxwood stove for $125. It's a heavy cast iron one with 2 lift out burners,....good for slow cooking a big pot of soup or stew. Also keeps my pot of coffee hot.:D:
It's vented out through the fireplace.
East Texas is thick with antique/resale shops, seek and ye shall find,....and usually at a much lower price than new.:thumb:

Attachments

Reactions: kev

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
HEY Reality Czech, I got the same one in my garage and with the 2 inch foam insulation in the 4X8 sheets I put up it keeps my garage nice and warm. I even have a OLD pot belly stove from my G Grandfather... I have not used it in years. It is going to go to the cave...

I have a Franklin in the media room downstairs.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
Kev u can get a new Boxwood stove for 140$ at most hardware chains like tractor supply,lowes,home dep. i know we have them at lowes i was checking one out at the warhouse cause i'm looking into one also

oh yeah the small one for 140$ also is a 96,000 btu ...so it will heat a small to med size house

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kev- are you looking specifically for a cookstove? Pic looked to me like it was a cookstove.
The guy did not say "exactly" what its going to be used for. But he did say its going out in his barn. So its not going to be used for heating the house. I think he wants a heater in the barn so while hes working on some projects, he can have some heat out there.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
The guy did not say "exactly" what its going to be used for. But he did say its going out in his barn. So its not going to be used for heating the house. I think he wants a heater in the barn so while hes working on some projects, he can have some heat out there.
Well, if thats all he wants, get an old water heater body and turn it into a stove,even if somebody else does it for him, should be 150 bucks max.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
For a shed,those double 55 gallon barrel stoves work really well. Mount a fan to blow air thru the space between the two barrels.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
That looks like a cook stove to me... grew up with one... has six pot holes and an oven, maybe a water jacket... that's a lot just for heating. He can get a two holer delivered by Ace Hardware for a third of the cost, heats very well and had two plats for cooking if one wants. I bought one of these two years ago for my mother in Maine... she's doing just fine. I paid $135 for it in 2006, its now $319

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2406864&cp=1255022.1260958&sr=1

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
That looks like a cook stove to me... grew up with one... has six pot holes and an oven, maybe a water jacket... that's a lot just for heating. He can get a two holer delivered by Ace Hardware for a third of the cost, heats very well and had two plates for cooking if one wants. I bought one of these two years ago for my mother in Maine... she's doing just fine. I paid $135 for it in 2006, its now $319

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2406864&cp=1255022.1260958&sr=1

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Anyone know where to get some decent wood for the stoves within the Missouri area?
Get a permit to gather *downed wood* at nearby state or national parks. Check at the ranger station, permit fees vary by state.
Good thing about downed wood is that if you are careful, you can pick seasoned wood and only get hardwood for maximum woodstove efficiency.

Put an ad up on Craigslist to cut downed trees for homeowners, especially after big storms. Put ads up at local feed stores, etc saying you will haul off downed trees for free.

If you are driving down the road and you see a down tree in someones yard after a storm, stop and offer to cut it up and haul it off for them.

Use your imagination...there's a lot of wood out there for the asking...

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
Check out Harbor Freight for few lower cost wood burning stoves. They have a few on their web site plus a kit for converting 55 gal. drums.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts