·
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ &#923
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
6,068 Posts
Once I have my own place again...

Wonder how much of it is fear of the dogs having PTSD (and therefore "snapping" or "turning on their owner"), how much is insurance (cost or refusal/cancellation of current policy by insurance company), how much is banned breed lists in apartments, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sad that they can't all be with their last/former handlers. The bond between dog and handler is incredible...

·
Dog Lives Matter
8,371 Posts
Aside from possible PTSD issues, these dogs are near their end of life. The most years I've ever got out of a German Shepard is 13. Large dogs typically live to be 10 to 12 these days.

The dogs are typically retired when they're ages 10-12.
If I had a farm or ranch away from children, I would not mind setting up a "retirement home" for these former warriors.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Once I have my own place again...

Wonder how much of it is fear of the dogs having PTSD (and therefore "snapping" or "turning on their owner"), how much is insurance (cost or refusal/cancellation of current policy by insurance company), how much is banned breed lists in apartments, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sad that they can't all be with their last/former handlers. The bond between dog and handler is incredible...
I have heard the insurance thingie but I have Allstate and now State Farm insurance and neither asked whether I even owned a dog .

·
Dog Lives Matter
8,371 Posts
I have heard the insurance thingie but I have Allstate and now State Farm insurance and neither asked whether I even owned a dog .
You may not be covered if you have an aggressive breed of dog. You need to read the fine print in your policy. Your insurance agent won't point out things that are not covered unless you ask.

14 Dog Breeds Blacklisted by Insurance Companies

The Prohibited Lists: Home Insurance Dog Breed Restrictions

Half the dogs on that list are very loyal companions who love kids. They are only mean if they are trained to be mean.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You may not be covered if you have an aggressive breed of dog. You need to read the fine print in your policy. Your insurance agent won't point out things that are not covered unless you ask.

14 Dog Breeds Blacklisted by Insurance Companies

The Prohibited Lists: Home Insurance Dog Breed Restrictions

Half the dogs on that list are very loyal companions who love kids. They are only mean if they are trained to be mean.
I appreciate the info, it prompted me to read my policy. Turns out SF is one of the better ones, its policy is it's not the breed it's the bite and it has no exclusions. However, I had only assumed that I was covered so a reading of the fine print is something I should have done years ago. I've had a dobe and a wolfdog with no biting incidents so I believe it's how you raise and train them.

·
Semper Fi
11,263 Posts
I adopted a dog that failed out of the RCMP dog services. They are very smart dogs but they have a very high drive mentality. They arent very affectionate if your looking for that. My girl is old now and suffering from arthritis but she still thinks shes 1 years old.. I will miss her greatly when she packs it in.
Depends on the dog.

My neighbor is a K9 Officer and his dog lives in his house, with his wife, daughter and other dogs. The dog is very friendly and loves to play. Right up until the proper command is given.

That being said the other dog in his Dept is no where near as nice.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,952 Posts
My insurance company flatly refused to cover any animals at all when they saw one of our cats during one of their yearly "up in your business" exterior home inspections.

We had a case in Conroe (near Houston) some time back where a K9 attacked his handler's sleeping newborn in a car seat. The baby was badly mauled and I forget if it even survived.

The dog, of course, was put down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.