Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a tactical folder with the following requirements:

Under $50 ($75 tops)
4" Long Blade (Need at least this to be effective from what I have read)
Under 4 Oz. (Plan on carrying as a back up to my Sig 220 Compact, Everyday)

Looked at:

Kershaw Blur Around $50, 3.5" Blade, 4.2 Oz

Benchmade 940 Around $100-120, 3.5" Blade, 2.9 Oz

Ontario RAT 1 Now $35 was $50, 3.25" Blade, 5.2 oz

Al Mar Eagle $100, 4" Blade, 2.4 oz

Spyderco Centofante III $70-90, 3 1/8" Blade, 2.5 Oz

Cold Steel Kudu $8.99?, 4 /14" Blade, 2.4 Oz [This one is odd Why is it so cheap? Bad Quality? How does the lock mechanism work? Looks slow to deploy.]

Cold Steel 4" Ti-Lite $69.99, 4" Blade, 3.5 Oz

Cold Steel Large Clip Point Voyager 47.50, 4" Blade, 3.6 Oz CLOSEST I HAVE FOUND

I have driven myself crazy looking for one. I am a gun guy, not a knife guy perhaps there is somewhere I haven't looked? :confused:

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with any folding Cold Steel product, but I can't remember ever hearing anything bad about the Voyagers. They seem to be good knives at reasonable prices. I will say it's probably best to avoid the Pocket Bushman - it does have a 4.5" blade, but it's heavy and the lock is (almost) impossible to operate without using two hands. Also, avoid the Kudu - pricing it cheap is still overpricing it - very poor quality and weak lock. You'd be better off with an Opinel and nobody is gonna argue that's a tactical knife.

Any reason it has to be a folder? Lots of slim and trim fixed blades around that size.

Now, here are some of my ideas.

Gerber EVO, CRKT M16 - very similar knives, about 3.5" blade - slim blades and handles - lightweight - liner locks - I have an EVO and it's proven to be very tough - these can be found for under $35, with the EVO often below $30 - there is a version of the CRKT that has a larger blade and one with a smaller, so make sure you know which you are looking at as it gets confusing (at least to me) - the CRKT probably has the better steel and you can get a lightweight Zytel version.

Benchmade Ambush - I do not own one of these but have recently been looking at them and it seems to be of usual Benchmade quality, though made overseas (anything Benchmade has that's made in the US understandably costs a wee more, though the Griptilian is a great deal) - 3.94" blade - under $50 - does not have the slimmest of handles and no AXIS lock

Good places to look: SMKW -http://eknifeworks.com/ Knives Plus http://www.knivesplus.com/ Grand Prairie Knives http://www.gpknives.com/ (throwing them in here as I started shopping there when they opened and I used to go by every week)

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I just received the Ontario Folder and I love it but it does not deploy as fast as my Spydercos. Probably the fastest folder would be waved Spyderco Endura with a speed dialer sheath. It appears that you are looking for knives with a large blade, most of the Cold Steel models will suffice but check out the Boker line up by Chad Los Banos. The Direkt is one of the largest models from the series. Picture is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMHO the best in class at this price point is the Spyderco Endura. Then when you get a chance get the trainer for it. Since it is backing up a firearm think about some instances where you could see yourself deploying it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 6" cold steel Ti-Lite and love it. It is part of my EDC and I havnt found a problem with it yet. Im sure the 4" model would be just as great, just a smaller package. I also agree with mercop that a spyderco Endura would be excellent as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Recon 1 sounds like a great option for you, except its 1.3 ounces over what you're looking for, and its 60 bucks. But just a suggestion anyways.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you think you need a 4 inch folder to be "effective"? If by effective you are thinking stab to the heart, I would rethink your philosophy of using a FOLDING tactical knife.

Since you said tactical folder....

I love my voyager 4 inch clip point as a woods knife.

This is because I now edc a spyderco tenacious and it is awesome.
I think the spyderco design is what you want in a folder. The thumb ramp adds unbelievable security.

I would recommend the byrd- a subdivision of spyderco- bryd cara cara under 20 bucks. a "poor mans endura"

I trust all are watching the TNP? Because you should be...

Heres my spyderco tenacious

heres the endura

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have a couple of Spyderco's and they are great carry knives. The Tenacious is a very well built sturdy tactical folder and for the money hard to beat. Heavier than my Endura or Delica4 but my second favorate of the Spyderco's

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you are still trying to decide, take a look at our selection. If we do not have the model that you are looking for, we can get it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the crkt m16-14le is a nice tanto blade, pretty big they have a smaller version as well, aus 8a steel, triple tooth serrations, they're nice blades

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Kershaw tactical blur with tanto blade

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Cold Steel Large Clip Point Voyager 47.50, 4" Blade, 3.6 Oz CLOSEST I HAVE FOUND
Fine knife.
My EDC is now Recon 1. (little over $50 on eBay).
I also carry CS Double Agent neck knife and CS Urban Pal on keychain.

So, yeah, I obviously feel that CS makes a pretty good product.

- OS

1 - 20 of 32 Posts