Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some pics for a car rim wood stove on mother earth news magazine. I was wondering if anyone had tried to build one? I dont plan on making one but Im curious as to how they are built.

·
All bark, no bite
975 Posts
I've toyed with one. Takes a lot of welding to seal it up and the interior dosen't have much volume. I'll stick with large diameter pipe or barrels, lots easier and more efficient to build.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A car rim can make an effective forge, I don't think you can take the time and effort to make an effective interior stove. There are way too many effective alternatives.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Semi rims would give ya more room. made one on the farm once, worked great,but like sardog said,lotta welding. It was winter and we were bored. :cool:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It looks like it would be kind of hard to clean out. I built one out fo a 55 gal. drum once. I left the drum standing up, cut in a loading door between the strength rings and a cleanout door below the bottom strength ring. I put the grate right at the bottom SR. I had to cut up another barrel for the doors so they wood be big enough to overlap. But I had built a fire pit out of the rest of that barrel so it worked out. It had a 6" stove pipe opening that I brazed on because barrel steel doesn't lend itself well to arc welding. I also added an adjustable draft beside the cleanout. I built a rack for it to stand on about 8" off the floor and sat it in a box of gravel about 3' deep. I got the origional idea from a book called Possum Living, written by an 18 year old girl named Dolly Freed back in '78. I just refined the origional design a little. If you find a copy of that book buy it if it is cheap. I have seen copies go on the internet for $50.00. I got mine in an ARC store for a quarter.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I build small woodstoves out of old 20 lb. propane tanks.The ones without the opd valves. They are just the right size for fish shantys and deer blinds,put out a lot of heat. The one in my blind has lasted about 4 years,but needs to be replaced this year.So what.It cost about 5 or 10 bucks for the materials to make a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts