Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at getting a kershaw/Bahco laplander. But it looks like kershaw is no longer making thier folding saw. Who is making the Bahco laplander saw?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think Bacho Laplander is made by Sandvik, probably in Sweden! But Im not sure!

I bought several of Ebay! And for 27 dollars its an excellent gift for outdoors type friends.

I had mine for 3 years or so! I`v given mine a hell of a beating! Works perfect! The lazors teeth are still sharp and ready to kill like a whiteshark mouth! :D:

Only maintaince I do on mine is to give it a quick layer of WD40 in the winter!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BAHCO-SWEDE...943?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f055da967

Just an example!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've nevered warmed-up to the knife like folding saws. My backpacking favorite is the Sven 21" Backpacker's saw it's the bee's knees for moderate sized wood cutting. Coupled with a good wood splitting field knife you'll be set for general campfire needs.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a Browning that works well for trees that are small. It folds up into a sheath and I have it attached to the zipper of a Pygmy Falcon II or just inside the main compartment of my other packs. It's handy and it works. I prefer a hatchet, though.

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
Kev pretty much loved everything about the one I have on my website ....

YouTube - Review of the Emergency Zone Folding Saw from ReadyPro.org

Link to the saw... http://www.readypro.biz/folding-saw1.html
I have used that one. It's extremely inexpensive, cuts really well, but the sharpness doesn't last as long as I would like. But at that price I have ordered a few of them and just replaced when it gets dull.

The laplanders are very good, just be aware that when a folding saw with super advanced and dynamic teeth gets dull, you aren't going to be able to sharpen it. For that reason, I would be wary about spending 27 dollars on a folding saw that will eventually be disposed if you use it a lot. I do a lot of wood cutting and a folding bucksaw is a little bit better. You can buy extra saws and swap them out pretty cheap.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have a gerber folding saw and its OK for the price, I mean it cuts stuff ok.

I haven't used it extensively though and I am a little worried about the durability of the all plastic handle and hinge...

·
Surviving selling labor
553 Posts
I highly recommend the SawVivor instead. It is much better engineered than the Sven, Laplander, or Gerber. It's priced about the same and is lighter, barely, too boot. You can even carry two or three different blades for different work, all inside the same housing. Having used all four I think the SawVivor is best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I highly recommend the SawVivor instead. It is much better engineered than the Sven, Laplander, or Gerber. It's priced about the same and is lighter, barely, too boot. You can even carry two or three different blades for different work, all inside the same housing. Having used all four I think the SawVivor is best.
X2. The Sawvivor is compact, solid, cuts straight, and can stow an extra blade. Definitely my first choice.

A quick note on the Bahco Laplander...the Kershaw folding saw is EXACTLY the same saw for half the price. Kershaw makes the Bahco Laplander. However for marketing purposes, the saw is labeled Kershaw in the USA.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
Sawvivior.

Not only is it decently sturdy, lightweight, and well made but you can modify it to accept both bow-saw blades and hack-saw blades. You know...for all those padlocks and chains you find ruckin' around in the bush.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts