Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
For the past couple of weeks I have been playing with one of Grey Man’s knives. I promised to give feedback and do a review. I will cover several aspects.

Initial impressions;

The knife is at first sight, a high quality piece of work. Even though this is a ‘test’ piece for me to evaluate, I have seen many prominent makers turn products not nearly as good as this. The shape is eye-catching. The blade profile is distinct and usable. The steel is thick enough you don’t feel in danger of it failing anytime soon. Shaving sharp right out of the box, it has stayed that way even after many days of everyday tasks cutting everything from 550 cord to breaking down quad wall cardboard. The edge is fine enough to do delicate tasks, while the meat of the blade is sufficient for larger ones.

The main issue I have found is a personal fitment issue. The handle, while well shaped and done well, is small in my hands. If I could take the handle and scale it up by 20%, it would go from good to great. Handles are the hardest part of knife making in my opinion. A great blade that you can’t hold well, is less useful than a poor blade you can feel is part of you.

I have many custom makers’ knives in my bins of knives. I tend to gravitate more to the ones that fit my hand best. Rarely do I buy other knives without holding them. His handle shape is reminiscent of some of Lynn Dawson’s work. Her stuff is considered top notch when it comes to handles. I like his handle shape and construction, I just want it bigger. I have gone back and forth with him, nitpicking elements. If the final description I gave him becomes one he makes, I want to be first in line for buying two.
Here is his next to a couple of Lynn Dawson’s

His Kydex work is good and clean. He is using a flexible material for his loops. I wasn’t able to use the loops to fit the knife where I wanted to carry (horizontal, on belt, just left of the buckle) due to the size and stiffness of my belt. I swapped in a clip from Spyderco, available on line. This held the knife exactly where I wanted it. The kydex kept the knife low profile and secure. I didn’t have concerns about the knife coming loose.
With new clip

Gold standard for low profile for me is my modified Boker version of a Bud Nealey design

All things considered, I am looking forward to the next offering from him. I will be in line looking to buy. I hope my review and input have been helpful.
I concur with the analysis, the blade that I have from GreyMan is the same model and I have been using it daily for a week or so and have no complaints. I have a large hand and the grip is a little short and could be thicker. In my use however I have not gotten any blisters or even hot spots on my hand, strong side or weak. The blade came sharp and holds a good edge and with a little work was hair splitting sharp.

Thanks to GreyMan for the opportunity to try this piece of fine metal craft.

223shootersc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks to both of you for your willingness to try them out and write up your thoughts. Hopefully I’ll get some time to work on the V2 sometime soon

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have been using this knife for 2 weeks and love the blade design. The handel is a bit small but I tend to like a smaller handel. The sheath is a good design but the belt straps are to small to fit my thick leather belt. With the square bottom on the sheath it sets in my pocket perfectly and doesn't move around. I added longer straps to fit my belt and it carries very well. When you start making ones to sell I would deffanetly like to buy 1.
Thank you for the chance to try it out.

Sorry for the delay on my thoughts.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts