Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a custom knife maker, and I’m looking for a few knife enthusiasts or collectors who would be willing to do some testing and give me some feedback in exchange for a knife.

I’ve been making them for a little over a year now and my quality is getting good enough that I want to get them into the hands of people who will use them for some feed back.

Right now I’m making an edc type wharncliffe fixed blade. There are some pictures in the knife pic sticky thread.

It would be a huge help to me so if anyone is interested please shoot me a private message or reply to this thread.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’d be happy to give one a ride and let you know what I think!

I’ve been interested in chatting with a maker about getting something particular done for myself, as I can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d be happy to give one a ride and let you know what I think!

I’ve been interested in chatting with a maker about getting something particular done for myself, as I can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for.
Sounds great. I’ll send you a message.

·
Registered
83 Posts
More than willing to test and provide feedback. EDC , my preference is a small fixed worn horizontal at just left of my belt buckle. Been looking for someone who’s knife would work better than the few in my rotation. Your Warrenclif looks to be in the right flavor

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Would be glad to give them a try; the Wharncliff looks cool like horizontal carry also same as ComCamGuy. probably to late either way your stuff looks good. PM me if interested, could use one in my books the Twos Clan.

223shootersc

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like the 1st and 2nd knives in your pics. Would be honored to try one out. Would even be interested in buying 1.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
I’ve always wanted an edc kind of like the Becker neck knife , with the bottle opener on it. BUT in a better edc steel, cpm 154 , s35vn or lc200n.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I have been known to haft a knife blade. I don't like stainless. Prefer carbon steel or damascus. I've been piddling with a damascus dirk for 3 months now. It hangs around my computer waiting for haft. I'm still debating on the material. My current temptation is to clear off the lathe and turn some manzanita. You have a fun hobby, hope all goes well. After the dirk, I'm thinking of grinding a file. maybe a 4" blade

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More than willing to test and provide feedback. EDC , my preference is a small fixed worn horizontal at just left of my belt buckle. Been looking for someone who’s knife would work better than the few in my rotation. Your Warrenclif looks to be in the right flavor
Just tried to send you a private message but it didn’t go through. Send me an email at [email protected] if you’re interested in one for testing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im a custom knife maker, and I’m looking for a few knife enthusiasts or collectors who would be willing to do some testing and give me some feedback in exchange for a knife.

I’ve been making them for a little over a year now and my quality is getting good enough that I want to get them into the hands of people who will use them for some feed back.

Right now I’m making an edc type wharncliffe fixed blade. There are some pictures in the knife pic sticky thread.

It would be a huge help to me so if anyone is interested please shoot me a private message or reply to this thread.

What steels are you using and do you do the heat treat yourself?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What steels are you using and do you do the heat treat yourself?[/QUOTE]

Right now I’m mostly using 440c. I’ve worked with some W2 and other carbon steels in the past and I’m getting ready to try out some 3V for the first time.

And yes I do all my own heat treating

·
Registered
59 Posts
What steels are you using and do you do the heat treat yourself?
Right now I’m mostly using 440c. I’ve worked with some W2 and other carbon steels in the past and I’m getting ready to try out some 3V for the first time.

And yes I do all my own heat treating[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with 440C. I am a big fan of O1 and 52100, I know they are basic but when heat treated right they do an outstanding job. I had a 3v Survive! GSO for a while, using it on the river it actually started to spot rust a bit (more cosmetic than anything). For super steels I have found M390 to be outstanding.

I really appreciate the fact you are doing your own heat treat. If you need another tester let me know.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,261 Posts

I do a lot of Bushcrafting, and generally, on a daily basis. I'd be willing to test one. My "goto" knives are generally Mora knives. I generally like CS knives as they throw a good spark from a ferro rod.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

Take a look at pictures of my forum knife collection album and you'll see that I'm definitely an "enthusiast." But I'll take a look at your pics and see if there's anything that catches my eye. I'd be willing to buy one from you if the price is right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I now have in my possession one of Grey Man’s knives. Right out of the box, looks great. I will do a full review with pic after I have some more time with it. Already using it and have some feedback from several people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been buying custom knives for over 10 years from most of the biggest names in the custom knife world. I’ve bought fixed and folders. Jeremy Marsh, MANY Tom Krein Knives, Jonathan Graham, Alan Folts, Gerry Mcginnis, Kingdom Armory, Jeremy Horton, Michael Burch, just to name a few. If your looking for a person to judge on fit and finish I feel I could possibly lend a hand.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I have one of the test knives from Grey_man and it is a delight. Knife came to me very sharp, was easy to make hair splitting sharp. I have been using it daily for a week or so and very handy blade. I would recommend his work to all, very good blade work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For the past couple of weeks I have been playing with one of Grey Man’s knives. I promised to give feedback and do a review. I will cover several aspects.

Initial impressions;

The knife is at first sight, a high quality piece of work. Even though this is a ‘test’ piece for me to evaluate, I have seen many prominent makers turn products not nearly as good as this. The shape is eye-catching. The blade profile is distinct and usable. The steel is thick enough you don’t feel in danger of it failing anytime soon. Shaving sharp right out of the box, it has stayed that way even after many days of everyday tasks cutting everything from 550 cord to breaking down quad wall cardboard. The edge is fine enough to do delicate tasks, while the meat of the blade is sufficient for larger ones.

The main issue I have found is a personal fitment issue. The handle, while well shaped and done well, is small in my hands. If I could take the handle and scale it up by 20%, it would go from good to great. Handles are the hardest part of knife making in my opinion. A great blade that you can’t hold well, is less useful than a poor blade you can feel is part of you.

I have many custom makers’ knives in my bins of knives. I tend to gravitate more to the ones that fit my hand best. Rarely do I buy other knives without holding them. His handle shape is reminiscent of some of Lynn Dawson’s work. Her stuff is considered top notch when it comes to handles. I like his handle shape and construction, I just want it bigger. I have gone back and forth with him, nitpicking elements. If the final description I gave him becomes one he makes, I want to be first in line for buying two.
Here is his next to a couple of Lynn Dawson’s

His Kydex work is good and clean. He is using a flexible material for his loops. I wasn’t able to use the loops to fit the knife where I wanted to carry (horizontal, on belt, just left of the buckle) due to the size and stiffness of my belt. I swapped in a clip from Spyderco, available on line. This held the knife exactly where I wanted it. The kydex kept the knife low profile and secure. I didn’t have concerns about the knife coming loose.
With new clip

Gold standard for low profile for me is my modified Boker version of a Bud Nealey design

All things considered, I am looking forward to the next offering from him. I will be in line looking to buy. I hope my review and input have been helpful.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts