Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I had a bow it was a recurve. This year am planning to bowhunt as well as shotgun/rifle hunt. Looked at a Mathews and a Mission today around 400 each. I could go as high as 600 for a good bow. What does everyone like in a bow and what are your favorite brands?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i prefer traditional archery i have an old recurve dont remember the brand as i got it as an upgrade as a kid from my 20 lb fiberglass bow found at garage sale for $2 but its 40lbdraw recurve

i recently upgraded from that and have an english longbow with 110# draw shooting 34 inch hickory shafted arrwos 3/8 diameter and its a wicking shooter too

Reactions: papajoscochise

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
Hoyt or Matthews - can't go wrong. Look for good speed but concentrate on noise as well. Go to a Pro shop and shoot 5-6 bows in your price range. You'll know right away which one fits you better. I moved up from an archaic Browning Boss Mantis to a Hoyt Alpha Max (pricey) in 2009. It draws and shoots extremely smooth at a whisper. Never wanted to go "high tech" but couldn't help it. Some guys are all about speed but it can affect how smoothly the bow draws, hand shock and noise. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've tried the compound route, but enjoy traditional bows much much more. When I shoot trad, I feel more in touch with the bow, history, and my target. When I shoot compound, I feel more like a nascar racer who can't see the road for all the advertisements in my way. Plus it's cheaper.

There are some great bowyers in NY I've been told, and I bet visiting the forum at the link below would give you a great education on the topic.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoyt or Matthews - can't go wrong. Look for good speed but concentrate on noise as well. Go to a Pro shop and shoot 5-6 bows in your price range. You'll know right away which one fits you better. I moved up from an archaic Browning Boss Mantis to a Hoyt Alpha Max (pricey) in 2009. It draws and shoots extremely smooth at a whisper. Never wanted to go "high tech" but couldn't help it. Some guys are all about speed but it can affect how smoothly the bow draws, hand shock and noise. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy!
When you say the Hoyt is pricey, around 800-1000bucks?

And as far as poundage, is 60lbs a good range? Or do you increase noise too much? I want to kill out to 40-50 yards at least.

And does poundage equate to speed or are there other factors?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

And as far as poundage, is 60lbs a good range? Or do you increase noise too much? I want to kill out to 40-50 yards at least.

more or less the higher the poundage the more energy it has to put into the arrow/further it will go 60 is a good draw weight

if you were using a #60 trad bow you could shoot out to 70 metres accuratly with my long bow i can get very heavy arrows out alot further accuratly

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more or less the higher the poundage the more energy it has to put into the arrow/further it will go 60 is a good draw weight

if you were using a #60 trad bow you could shoot out to 70 metres accuratly with my long bow i can get very heavy arrows out alot further accuratly
So are you saying a recurve (trad) bow with have a farther range with the same poundage as a compound?

Also, i was surprised as to how light the arrows were for the compounds. Makes my think that at greater distances they would lose energy quicker?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
So are you saying a recurve (trad) bow with have a farther range with the same poundage as a compound?

Also, i was surprised as to how light the arrows were for the compounds. Makes my think that at greater distances they would lose energy quicker?
the problem i have with compounds is controll its either full draw or no draw

with a trad bow even with my 110# draw weight war bow i can shoot a squirrel from a tree pulling it back 6 inches or i can shoot a deer at 100m at full draw and the arrow pin the thing to a tree compound you shoot a squirrel itl be pinnedto the tree as its going to get the full hit

and also compound bows need and use sights were as with a trad bow you dont so you learn to feel how it shoots when you pull it back x amount

when i was a kid and shooting every day i could see where the arrow was going to go before i let loose like a little imaginary dotted arc to the target

and the reason you can hit more easily with a trad bow at further ranges is the angle i am shooting to hit something 100-120 meters is higher than your sights
wil typicaly be set for
and im not locked into three range pin settings just what feels right

that said i am out of practice been busy with schooll and other things

·
Registered
459 Posts
Go to a pro shop and shoot your differnt bows we shoot hoyt bowtec and mathews. Is about the top of the line. 60 lbs is plunty of weight. I shoot mathews and i also shoot recurve. But my main hunting bow is my mathews.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go to a pro shop and shoot your differnt bows we shoot hoyt bowtec and mathews. Is about the top of the line. 60 lbs is plunty of weight. I shoot mathews and i also shoot recurve. But my main hunting bow is my mathews.
Found a used Mathews DXT online, will go shoot it this weekend.

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts

The Hoyt I bought was ~ $850 for the bare bow. Adding the sights, rest, quiver and anything else (release, carbon arrows etc.) smarts the check book a bit.

60 pounds is what I bought dropping from the 70 pound Browning. It will slice broadside through a deer with the right heads with no problems.

Poundage can equate to speed but it's mostly the design and cams I believe. I like a heavier arrow which means it shoots slower but has greater momentum into your quarry. I also stay away from Rage broadheads. They have a huge following but I've seen too many instances where they didn't penetrate well or opened in flight or opened from hitting the tip on the tree etc. I stay with 125 grain fixed blades. Most younger hunters love the speed and smaller, lighter arrows. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts