Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small little town in WV of about 400 people, but that's several hundred to many when it hits the fan. On the ridge east of the grass runway that's in front of my house and hanger, there are 22,000 acres of pulpwood county owned by a large out of state company. By flying low over the area in my little single seat homebuilt Cub airplane, I found a remote hollow about 6 or 7 miles long with a nice creek with crystal clear water. The mouth of the hollow and creek empties into a small river that is also in a remote section of the river and is a couple of miles from the nearest road. I guess it's no place that I could build a small cabin, but I believe it would be a good BOL for the summer , living in a good tent. I believe I could hook my MF farm tractor to a small trailer with a load of supplies a follow a maze of old loging roads and down off a ridge thru the woods to the hollow. Probably will have to cut some smaller trees in the woods to get the tractor and trailer down in the hollow.

What I really want is to find some remote land to buy, If I had the money, maybe 30-40 acres in the middle of nowhere with good wood, water, and free natural gas from a gas well. Free NG is very common in this area if there is a well on your property. I have been on the computer looking at satelite pictures and I like an area about 20-30 air-miles S. east from home.

So one nice evening, I pulled the Cub out of the hanger and did the pre-flight check on the airplane and fliped the prop to start it, taxied to the end of the grass runway, did the pre-take off check list, ( very short on a simple airplane) and took off in about 300' and climbed out at 1200 feet per minute at 50 mph. I leveled off at about 1500' above the forest covered hills and backed to cruise rpm that gave me a cruise speed of 80 mph.

I flew SE over a small narrow valley to a small village of Reedy. Its a general store, service station and about a dozen houses. From Reedy I had planned on turning east and fly over the more remote area that I have been looking at on the computer. Then I got to thinking about the windshock that I saw beside a mowed area about 5 miles back up the narrow valley, that I have never seen before. So I decided to check it out. So I flew back up the valley looking for the windshock, There it is, beside the mowed landing strip in the hay field. After looking the area over, I realized the reason I had never seen the windshock from the road is because the road turns out of the valley when the valley and small creek makes a loop to the west and the grass strip is in the loop away form the road.

There is a cabin beside the end of the grass strip where it enters the mouth of another hollow and a man is waving at me, so I decide to do a low pass down the mowed strip and get a good look at it. So I flew in tight circles and got down in the vally and circled around to line up with the grass strip. By lineing up with the strip, I had to fly down the side of a tree covered ridge and cross a small creek where the end of the strip starts. I got down to about 75' and made the 30 deg. turn in the middle of the strip and since I had the windows and door off the Cub, I waved back at the man and now he was motioning for me to land.

Without checking the hollow when I was higher, I entered the mouth of the hollow at the end of the strip and that was a big mistake, because the hollow is "S" shaped, so I couldn't see what was ahead. The hollow came up at about the same as my max. rate of climb of 1200' per minute. About 200 before I got to the top of the hollow there was a low place in the top of the ridge on my left wing and a low gap in the tree tops, so I took that and was glad to get it.

I turned back and set up for a landing, came down the tree covered ridge again, this time I had the Cub in a hard right slip, so I wouldn't pick up any speed, crossed the creek, let off the slip just before touchdown at about 200' from the beginning of the strip, and made the 30 deg curve and taxied to the end of the 900' X 25' grass strip to the cabin.

I shut the engine down and unfastened my seat belt and shoulder harness and got my big butt out of the airplane. The man that was waving walked up and said, "Hey" I know you, and he was right, "Yes" and I know you too. Didn't you used to fly into Ravenswood airport about 15-20 years ago to get fuel in your Lycoming 150 HP, taildragger Cessna 150 with bush tires? He said yes, but now I have a 1954 Cessna 170 with a Lycoming 180 Hp instead of the 145 hp and also have the large bush tires. I ask him, " didn't you live on a farm south of Reedy with a strip behind the barn"? He said, "Yes, I still live there but I have to many neighbors and was looking for a BOL and I found this place and it was a good buy". "It takes a good 4 wheel drive truck with tall tires to get through the creek crossing and the couple of miles of mud to get to the road. So I mowed the grass strip, and built the 24'X 30' cabin. The land has free natural gas from a well up in the hollow and good water from a spring on the side of the hill, and good bottom land to raise food". I told him that it looks like heaven to me and if you know of another place like this, to please let me know.
Well we talked a long time, and I told him that I had better get back north to my place and get on the ground before dark, so he volunteered to hand prop the engine to get it started and I guess I will look at the other remote site another day. Having fun looking for a good BOL. Pops

·
Bushwacker
1,479 Posts
Cool story. Maybe that guy would have enough land to share? Seems like he's sitting on a lot of land. Surely it could benifit both of ya.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,381 Posts
Cool story. Maybe that guy would have enough land to share? Seems like he's sitting on a lot of land. Surely it could benifit both of ya.

I was thinking the same thing....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Talk about living in the perfect location lol. I would love to live somewhere with enough land to fly from, but here in the UK it's impossible. Land prices are sky high & I'm not a rich man.

You could bug out to pretty much anywhere with an airstrip on your doorstep...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, My goal is to find at least 30-40 acres, as remote as possible, hidden down in a hollow, on a small creek, free natural gas,(for a generator and heat), enough bottom land to raise food and livestock, and land my little Cub and the 4 seat bush Bearhawk homebuilt airplane that I am building. It will haul 1300 lbs, and the fuselage is finished and all the wing parts are made, ready to assemble. I hope I find the land and can afford it when I do, and don't have my goal set to high. I'll keep on looking till time runs out.
Maybe I can write a running account of looking for the BOL. Pops

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A story on looking for a BOL, non-fiction. Didn't see anywhere where it had to be a fiction story. Pops

·
Registered
963 Posts
Bearhawk - one word ---- helicopter

there are places within 2 miles of me that you cannot get a motorized vehicle too and it would be an extreme hard hike through a no path forest area and you better be in shape to make that up the mountain down the mountain and up the mountain hike. In those places there is or are no gas wells but if you could get a drill there hahaha i imagine you could drill a gas well.

I think I have a story coming about a group using those single passenger helicopters to do that or something like that. Ah yes I remember now a guy rented a cargo helicopter to haul his stuff to an isolated place ---

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scrachline-- I can get my little Cub in and out of about 400' if the approches are right, and also for the 4 seat Bush Bearhawk airplane. My next trip will be to the remote area that I have been looking at on the computer. It also has a bend in the creek, couple miles from any road and looks like a 8-10 acre field beside the creek. I'll fly down in the hollow and make a low pass over the field and give it a good look. Thinking about mounting the video camera on the right stab of the airplane and see how that come out.
I can't afford a helicoper, expensive to buy and operate.
BTW-- I used to photograph every square foot of WV from an airplane for the Fed Goverment. Pops

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that there are some remote hollows that hasn't seen a person in 50 years. I read a few years ago that their are 27 small airplanes that are down in WV that never has been found. Pops

1 - 13 of 13 Posts