Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone suggest me a big single piece knife with saw edge back (no machete)? The knife should be

1) Razer sharp
2) Should have atleast 10 inch blade (overall length around 15 inch)
3) Should be around 1/4 inch thick and around 1.75 inch broad
4) Serrated edge
5) Overall it should be good looking with quality metal that lasts long

Since I don't live in US so it should be easily available in Ebay. I am looking for something similar to Rambo First blood 2 knife, But it should be sharp and single piece instead of having hollow handle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Becker BK-2. Best blade I own, and I own more than a few.

Doesn't meet your criteria, but what exactly are you planning on doing with a 10 inch serrated blade?
Mostly camping related stuffs
1) Cutting ropes, Canvus for making foldable jackets
2) Breaking barb wire fences with saw edge back (only if required)
3) Cutting metal plate
4) Butchring animal.

I don't expect a knife like this to chop off trees but if necessary can cut thick bushes. I own first blood-1 knife. It indeed looks impressive but its edges are blunt, if I sharpen it, the anti-rust coating will be gone

·
Registered
62 Posts
COLD STEEL 39L16T TRAIL MASTER BOWIE, SK-5 HIGH CARBON BOWIE BLADE, 14 1/2'' OVERALL

Cold Steel Trail Master Bowie. 14 1/2" overall. 9 3/8" SK-5 high carbon bowie blade. Black checkered Kraton handle with brass guard and lanyard hole. Black leather belt sheath with leg tie.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Overall Length: 14.50''
Blade Length: 9.50''
Blade Material: SK5
Blade Detail: Plain Edge
no Serrated edge

http://www.888knivesrus.com/product...-5-HIGH-CARBON-BOWIE-BLADE-14-12-OVERALL.html
------
or
SOG F0-3T FUSION JUNGLE PRIMITIVE BLACK BLADE W/SAWBACK 15 1/4"

SPECIFICATIONS:
Action: Fixed Blade Combat Knife / Machete
Blade Material: 420 Stainless Steel
Blade Style: Bowie / Machete with Sawback
Blade Finish: Hardcase Black
Handle Material: Kraton
Carry Method: Black Nylon Belt Sheath
Blade Length 9 5/8"
Overall Length: 15 1/4"
Handle Length: 4 5/8"
http://sogknives.com/store/F03T.html
----
or this one.. high price. but wow... now this is a knife
Steel Eagle 111A Hunter's Point
Blade Length: 11"
O/A Length: 16"
Thickness: 1/4"
Weight: 33oz
Blade Color: Black Traction Coating
Steel: 1095 High Carbon Alloy RC-58
Handle Material: Black Linen Micarta®
Sheath: Combat Ballistic Nylon
Mfg. Handcrafted in the USA
http://www.topsknives.com/index.php?cPath=4&osCsid=2auhhpf83k50fnd5om77vl5fd0

·
Comrade
232 Posts
3) Cutting metal plate
4) Butchring animal.

I don't expect a knife like this to chop off trees but if necessary can cut thick bushes. I own first blood-1 knife. It indeed looks impressive but its edges are blunt, if I sharpen it, the anti-rust coating will be gone
You might want to rethink your system to include more purpose built tools.

Butchering or skinning an animal with a 10 inch blade would be interesting to say the least.

Breaking barbed wire fences? Get a multi-tool with a wire cutter. Then, not only can you cut your metal plating and barbed wire, but have a ton of other useful tools as well.

I have a Victorinox Swisstool and it has both straight and serrated blades about 2.5 inches. Also, wood and metal saws for cutting through trees/metal, which saves your big blade from unnecessary abuse.

Basically, you can have an oversized knife that does all the listed tasks marginally well, or get a large fixed blade and a multi-tool and be able to do everything in a much more efficient way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might want to rethink your system to include more purpose built tools.

Butchering or skinning an animal with a 10 inch blade would be interesting to say the least.

Breaking barbed wire fences? Get a multi-tool with a wire cutter. Then, not only can you cut your metal plating and barbed wire, but have a ton of other useful tools as well.

I have a Victorinox Swisstool and it has both straight and serrated blades about 2.5 inches. Also, wood and metal saws for cutting through trees/metal, which saves your big blade from unnecessary abuse.

Basically, you can have an oversized knife that does all the listed tasks marginally well, or get a large fixed blade and a multi-tool and be able to do everything in a much more efficient way.

Thanks. Although I've never done butchering or skinning of any animal in my whole life, neither I intend on doing it. I just want a knife that is capable of doing this task (if required in certain circumstances). I think an oversized knife (as mentioned in my specification) which does all these tasks marginally sounds like a good idea. So what carbon & stell knife would you recommend?

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
Can someone suggest me a big single piece knife with saw edge back (no machete)? The knife should be

1) Razer sharp
4) Serrated edge

Since I don't live in US so it should be easily available in Ebay. I am looking for something similar to Rambo First blood 2 knife, But it should be sharp and single piece instead of having hollow handle
This is bad advice unless you want a machete.

Otherwise the most useful size knife for all around use is in 4>6 inch blade. Much past the 6 inch range you're talking axe range.

·
Registered
391 Posts
3) Cutting metal plate
4) Butchring animal.
1 - Just like Rambo in first blood?
2 - If thats the plan get some wire cutters?
3 - Hmmm...? I wouldn't do that with my worst beater knife!
4 - With a 10 inch blade? I'd guess would be possible but would be harder than with a smaller blade.

I'd doubt there is one tool to do all those tasks? I'd suggest getting a sheath knife/Leatherman/axe combo.

Unless you just want a kick ass looking survival knife to play with and fondle,which is perfectly understandable as I have the same problem! :D: in which case get a Kabar USMC.

·
Breaking necks
280 Posts
3) Cutting metal plate
4) Butchring animal.
You're going to find a flying pig before you find a knife that fits your criteria.

1. Any sharp blade will do number
2. is a job for wire cutters, there are very few good examples of knives with saws on their backs. Most are gimmicks made to attract people who have seen rambo.
3. Don't even think about it.
4. not a job for a 10" serrated knife (if there is such a thing).

If those are your critera I would suggest getting a smaller fixed blade such as the Gerber LMF II, Becker BK2, Gerber Prodigy or the ESEE rat 5.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. When it comes to cutting barb wire fences, I would never consider using the blade for that purpose, not even with world's best knife. Before coming into this forum, if you look at the knife that I purchased last week. It contains slotted saw teeth, perfectly designed for cutting barbwires. I think this knife looks like an idle knife for part-time survival knife. It looks like bigger cousine of Ka-bar knife except that Ka-bar knives are made up of D2 steel and this one is made up of 420J2 Stainless Steel (57HRC). But it is not a single piece knife therefore not suitable for hard core purposes like chopping wood or digging.

By maverick786us at 2011-08-12

By maverick786us at 2011-08-12

By maverick786us at 2011-08-13

I am planning to buy one of these 3 Ka-bar knives. Which one should I go for? Though these knives are expensive indeed.

Ka-Bar 2-1282-6 D2 Extreme Fighting Knife

Feature

Knife with clip-shape, 20-degree blade
Made of D2 steel blade for strength
Handle made of Kraton G material
Blade measures 7 ; knife is 11-7/8 long
Knife made in USA, includes glass-filled, nylon sheath

Feature

Cutting test prove that D2 is one of the toughest steels used in knife making. Featured here in this classic clip point blade shape that made KA-BAR famous.
Specifications: Weight - 0.78 lbs.; Blade length - 7 ; Overall Length - 11-7/8
Shape - Clip; Stamp - USA; Edge Angle - 20 degrees; Steel - D2; Grind - Flat; Handle Material - Kraton G
Powdered Metal Butt Cap with 1095 Carbon Guard
Item Dimensions

Weight : 2.00 pounds

Feature

Knife with clip shape, 20 degrees blade
Made of 440A stainless steel blade for strength
Handle made of Kraton G material
Blade measures 7 ; knife is 12- long
Knife made in USA, includes glass-filled, nylon sheath
Item Dimensions

Weight : 2.00 pounds

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
433 Posts
COLD STEEL 39L16T TRAIL MASTER BOWIE, SK-5 HIGH CARBON BOWIE BLADE, 14 1/2'' OVERALL

Cold Steel Trail Master Bowie. 14 1/2" overall. 9 3/8" SK-5 high carbon bowie blade. Black checkered Kraton handle with brass guard and lanyard hole. Black leather belt sheath with leg tie.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Overall Length: 14.50''
Blade Length: 9.50''
Blade Material: SK5
Blade Detail: Plain Edge
no Serrated edge

http://www.888knivesrus.com/product...-5-HIGH-CARBON-BOWIE-BLADE-14-12-OVERALL.html
------
or
SOG F0-3T FUSION JUNGLE PRIMITIVE BLACK BLADE W/SAWBACK 15 1/4"

SPECIFICATIONS:
Action: Fixed Blade Combat Knife / Machete
Blade Material: 420 Stainless Steel
Blade Style: Bowie / Machete with Sawback
Blade Finish: Hardcase Black
Handle Material: Kraton
Carry Method: Black Nylon Belt Sheath
Blade Length 9 5/8"
Overall Length: 15 1/4"
Handle Length: 4 5/8"
http://sogknives.com/store/F03T.html
----
or this one.. high price. but wow... now this is a knife
Steel Eagle 111A Hunter's Point
http://www.topsknives.com/index.php?cPath=4&osCsid=2auhhpf83k50fnd5om77vl5fd0
2nd on the SOG Jungle Primitive. I have it and it's a great piece. Carry it around the farm all the time, when I'm not carrying the CTD rough knife. Which also is fine, just not serrated.

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,057 Posts

1) Razer sharp
4) Serrated edge

Tops Mission Team 21 Knife: http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Specifications:
Blade Length: 6 3/4"
O/A Length: 11 3/4"
Cutting Edge: 5 3/4"
Handle Material: Green-Black Micarta® Semi Gloss

Tops Steel Eagle 111A: http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=140

Specifications:

I have the Tops Mission Team 21 and it's the heaviest knife I own even though it's not the longest. It's as tough as nails. Hollow-handled knives suck and have a break point where the blade meats the handle. The Tops knives are completely full tang. They should be available on Ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tops+knives

Reactions: maverick786us
1 - 20 of 35 Posts