Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Knife Maker
726 Posts
Its made by Century Arms...if you can inspect them personally and make sure there are no problems it will most likely perform as intended. If you cannot inspect them ...well personally I would pass and buy something you can check out first hand.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own one and am quite happy with it. Century Arms gets a lot of bad press and they might deserve it. I own 3 firearms made by them all function well.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
And right now the 5.45 ammo is pretty cheap when compared to other ammo. Just remember to stock up on a number of cases of ammo just in case the Messiah and his cohorts try to block the import of this type of ammo. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you have any issues Wideners will take care of you...they are a good business. Century's do get a bad rep, but it's well deserved...they do crank out some crappy firearms. If they didn't so many on the web would not complain about their rifles. I've had some Century's and I have been fortunate not to have had a lemon. Roll the dice if you want to, but you can get a TGI AK74 for under $600 or buy a Saiga 5.45 and convert it yourself...that is the best deal going is to get the Saiga since they come with the correct barrel and it's chrome lined if you care about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
There was just a thread about the lack of ammunition importation from Russia... Our main source for 5.45x39, with no domestic sources. Might wanna check into that......

·
Eh kay vs eh are dood!
3,304 Posts
I have a Bulgarian AK74. It's a sweet gun, made by Century Arms. I replaced the plastic furniture for wood and a Tapco Saw pistol grip.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
My .02, it ain't a bad deal,or anything. But, while that 5.45 commie ammo is cheap and available,now, it's not as common as regular AK ammo,the 7.62x39, which is pretty cheap too, under $200 a 1000rd. case. And x39 ammo has a lot more punch, down range. Standard x39 mags are also much more common.
Also, this rifle doesn't have a chrome lined bore. Honestly, that really ain't a huge detractor, but if given the option, I personally want chrome lined.
They call this a Bulgarian rifle, but with US made trigger group, reciever, and barrel,and probably furniture, it really isn't. And it sure as hell ain't no Arsenal.
I agree with the others that you should at least take a look at classicarms. I've happily dealt with them numerous times.
And, a word about the dreaded Century-built rifles. Sure, the older WASR's often had issues, but it's widely known that they've tightened up their act considerably, to which I can personally attest. I believe the latest WASR's are also being built with new US made ( non-chromed) barrels, but the ones with authentic Romy chromed barrels are still common. Basically,if interested, you want to look for a straight front sight/gas tube, and rivets that haven't been hammered flat. Re-finishing the ratty laminate-wood is a quick and easy job, doesn't cost much, and is actually kinda fun, especially when you see how cool it can look.
Like I said.....just my .02 :D:

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
The only way I would go for an AK is converting a Saiga. It’s a little bit more money and work but well worth it. A Saige 5.45x39 is $350 (gunforall.com has free shipping! All you have to worry about is FFL transfer fee and tax which for me is under $50 for both.) A full conversion can be done for around $200 depending on the specific accessories you want…so for about $200 more than that cheap knock-off you get an real AK with the accessories you want and chrome lining. Its Russian quality that will last.

I've owned Century products in the past and they are decent for range guns but i would not trust then for a fighting gun. A chrome lined bore is an absolute must for me as I use mostly corrosive ammo and actually want my guns to function in teh real world. I have no safe queens or range guns.

As far as his review goes; I start to doubt the knowledge and validity of anyone that confuses a flash suppressor with a brake...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats an AK 74 and that ammo is not manufactured in the USA... Its surplus or commie ammo. Its a great little rifle. I have the Polish Tantal in 5.45x39. the Russians used it in Afganistan. the Afgans called it the Devils Cartridge cause it really messed up the flesh it hit. I would recommed an Ak 47. 7.62x39. used all over the world and will never go away. hard hitting round. a wasr 10/63 romanian rifle is good to go. SOME have bugs but once u get them worked out it's a kick butt rifle. I would take it to combat with me. the ak 74 should have a chrome lined bore and chamber. the romanian ak 47 does. it will last forever. I also have an Arsenal ak 47 or sgl21-71 Nato stock. what a sweetheart of a rifle. it just feels good... Lol They used them AK's and lots of other rifles to shoot at me in the Nam. First I.D. C-2-28 Black Lions 1966 Lai Khe Iron Triangle RVN

·
Registered
965 Posts
i have that rifle also, shot a ton of rounds though it with no issues at all. My friend has it too and he does have occasional problems, so if u can inspect it and make sure u get a good one id say go for it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
They won't tell you who the manufacturer is (they list it as "other" on the site, which I find to be deceptive), but it's Century Arms.

Century has a long sorted history of selling out of spec firearms. I know, I bought one and had to deal with not only keyholing but also their customer service. Here's my experience from earlier this year:

Some will tell you it's only their Tantals that have problems with keyholing. A guy I know just bought the same rifle you're looking at this month, and this is what he discovered:

I used to think you could buy a Century rifle if you inspected it first hand too. But you can't find out if your barrel is out of spec until you fire it, and a good number of Century rifles have bad barrels... an alarming number do actually.

Even if you get one with a "good" barrel, and by that I mean it doesn't keyhole, it's still a poorly made barrel that's not even chrome lined. You have no idea how many rounds it will take before issues start to appear and rebarreling the rifle will drive the cost up to the point where you could have bought a properly made AK for the same amount of money you have invested in a Century rifle... a rifle that will have zero resale value.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts