Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished some time off from work and glad that I got some stuff done around the house to be ready for the hurricane season.

I was able to completely go through my 2 generators and now they are purring like kittens. New carbs, air filters, spark plugs and oil. I can't believe that one of them is from 1993 and still runs great. It was my work horse for 11 days after Hurricane Rita.
I still have to put wheels on one of them. I used to be able to pick it up and load it in my truck by myself but, as I get a little older, I find that it isn't that easy anymore.:( One came with wheels but, the tires had dry rotted so, I replaced them while I was in the mechanikin' mood.

We do have our water and food supply covered as well. Freezer so full I can't put anything else in it and, with the generators, we shouldn't lose any of it unless the house gets blown away.

Anyway, I thought that I would try to remind any of you folks, that could be faced with a hurricane, to take a look at your preps now so you don't get caught short.

Be well.
Al

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I just finished some time off from work and glad that I got some stuff done around the house to be ready for the hurricane season.

I was able to completely go through my 2 generators and now they are purring like kittens. New carbs, air filters, spark plugs and oil. I can't believe that one of them is from 1993 and still runs great. It was my work horse for 11 days after Hurricane Rita.
I still have to put wheels on one of them. I used to be able to pick it up and load it in my truck by myself but, as I get a little older, I find that it isn't that easy anymore.:( One came with wheels but, the tires had dry rotted so, I replaced them while I was in the mechanikin' mood.

We do have our water and food supply covered as well. Freezer so full I can't put anything else in it and, with the generators, we shouldn't lose any of it unless the house gets blown away.

Anyway, I thought that I would try to remind any of you folks that could be faced with a hurricane to take a look at your preps now so you don't get caught short.

Be well.
Al
You need to add a quite muffler to your gennies. Last major outage the sound of mine attracted all the neighbors who wanted to borrow them to keep their own fridges going. I guess the good news is that two of them went out and bought generators after the crisis.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I don't have neighbors but, for those that do it could become a problem. Yep, buy one after the crisis. I guess we all live and learn.

Thanks.

Al

Reactions: Ricekila

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,371 Posts
That's one reason I wouldn't let my husband install a generator that ran off the gas line. I didn't want a line of "neighbors" at my door. I would rather go without.

I am well stocked on everything, even cat food. I just need to put the insurance paperwork into my waterproof case. They have a new claim number (800 #) now.

Don't forget puzzle books or something to do when the storm is past, you have no electricity, cable, internet, the cell doesn't work, and you're bored to death. I have books, craft stuff, and puzzle books.

·
Registered
11,250 Posts
Good point. I don't have neighbors but, for those that do it could become a problem. Yep, buy one after the crisis. I guess we all live and learn.

Thanks.

Al
Thing is, once all traffic dies off, a generator is the loudest thing running. It's rather amazing how far away someone can hear it. Kind of like cooking food outside. Hungry people quite a bit away can smell that. Same with wood fires.

All are issues you need to think about. The last power outage we had, my wife was using the tractor and we had a neighbor show up. They heard the diesel going and figured we had a gennie. All of those didn't end up well. A few people figured we had diesel and thought we should give it to them for their gennies rather than clearing up horse crap. I told them "NO". Upset a few neighbors and we don't have a good relationship to this day. :(

·
Live True
377 Posts
Yep, it's that time of year and the Gulf is running hot.
I have two generators for redundancy. Can be used together or separate. Just changed out spark plugs, oil and air filters. Ready to rock.
Last year I loaned one to my next door neighbor when his failed during a flood with 8 day power outage. That meant instead of me having air-conditioning at night to sleep, we both had fans. No worries. He's helped me as much as I've helped him.
Never underestimate the usefulness of friendship, good will and a reputation for generosity and fair dealing. One day that neighbor may have something you need.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use one generator at a time. After the tank runs out on one, I switch to the other and then pull maintenance on the one that was just running. Oil, gas, cool down, etc. It worked out well for me.

My only real inconvenience was that we had to use a window unit instead of central air. Oh well, that's more than some folks had.

Now, my wife is on oxygen and has a couple of O2 generators, having AC power is even more important to us.

Al

·
Live True
377 Posts
I use one generator at a time. After the tank runs out on one, I switch to the other and then pull maintenance on the one that was just running. Oil, gas, cool down, etc. It worked out well for me.

My only real inconvenience was that we had to use a window unit instead of central air. Oh well, that's more than some folks had.

Now, my wife is on oxygen and has a couple of O2 generators, having AC power is even more important to us.

Al
You ever consider a simple solar setup? Something which could run the O2 generators should the gens fail or gas not available? Wouldn't take much as the O2 generators don't pull much.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You ever consider a simple solar setup? Something which could run the O2 generators should the gens fail or gas not available? Wouldn't take much as the O2 generators don't pull much.
Short answer is yes. I am still doing research on solar. Bad storm can damage solar panels and I still think that the generators are the best bet.

Al

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Thank you very much for your kind and timely reminder, but I think I won't prep for any hurricanes. They are rare in Colorado, as are Caribbean pirates. But it's always best to keep in mind the most likely disaster scenarios for your local. I keep prepped for horrid winters and hopefully Midwesterners keep prepped for ice storms. For newbies in your area it's good you remind them not to wait until the dark clouds are already on the horizon.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,371 Posts
Sam's is our #1 supplier for vending supplies, including bottled water. Anytime we get a tropical thing anywhere near Houston, they literally have riots at the Sam's Club over the bottled water.

It's insane. How hard is it to throw a case of bottled water in the cart when you're at Walmart, getting laundry soap and pet food?

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,511 Posts
Like you guys above, I prep for hurricanes. I have multiple generators, propane stove/oven with hurricane proof tanks, enough food to last a while. It sure is time to service them up for the "season".

Here in Jupiter, FL, we were directly hit 3 times in 2 years. I was prepared then, and I plan on being ready this season too.

Y'all have seen this before, but here is my Listeroid Diesel Generator, with 15KW gen head.

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
The first thing I prep for is hurricanes, because that's what's most likely to happen, despite the fact that the Gulf Coast of Florida hasn't been touched by a hurricane since 2005.

Someone said the Gulf is "running hot"... are we sure about that? I had heard it wasn't.

As for now, there is currently nothing developing between here and Africa.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Plywood and "Plylox" clips for the windows.

Lanterns with kerosene.

Store up some rice and beans. Here's how to do 50lbs cheap and easy: https://freeamericannational.blogspot.com/2017/05/storing-pinto-beans-long-term.html?m=1

Get you a Berkey water filter system.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
All done here but it's easy for me. Every year at this time, I think about how fortunate I am to NOT live 200 miles closer to the coast.

You wouldn't believe the panic that ensues here when the idiots finally realize that things will get nasty and are all out buying water and cheetos and gasping, "gotta get the milk and bread" a few hours before the hurricane hits. I just stay home until it's all over and the streets are clear.

Still, it can be difficult up here, too. I have a 65-year old man and his 79-year old uncle as neighbors and they had no power for six days after a storm in early June because a tree fell on their lines and on their roof. Wisely, the uncle went to his air-conditioned niece's house in Austin for the duration.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good responses. Thanks folks.

Yesterday, I added wheels to one of my generators. Now, I am going to rig up the equivalent of a removable towbar so, I can pull them up from the shed with my lawn tractor.

Al

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm stocked up with food and water along with a few other survival gear. I guess from what I've been told, this area is one of the first to be repaired when damaged due to a hospital being close by. When hurricane Charlie struck, power was back up within a day. I'm hoping that remains the case today! Other parts of town were not a fortunate as power was down for a few days typically.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our local area hospitals have enormous generator sets and provide emergency power automatically. But, I am sure that there is a priority to get them back on grid as soon as possible.

Living close to your hospital and getting power quickly is a good thing.

Al

Reactions: Ricekila
1 - 20 of 41 Posts