Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Nerd
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a few sites and there is tons of caches here in Central Washington...so heres my question...Im gonna try 2 without GPS this weekend because I know the areas, but what do yall think is a good cheap GPS device? I've found a Garmin Etrex for about $80...seems like a good deal...just looking for basic functionality.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
that Garmin will do just fine. I have a Magellan Explorist 100...the most basic you can get, and it's not even made anymore...and I have found MANY with it. I will upgrade down the road, as I use mine for backpacking as well, and want more features (downloadable maps, color, etc..) But that model will certainly get you started. One thing you may check is that you can download waypoints via your computer. On mine I have to manually input every coord with the toggle joystick, and that gets to be a PITA. And remember, the coordinates are usually just to get you in the area; you can be several yards away from the cache...one thing that helps is walking away and reapproaching from another direction...then use your eyes.
Good luck, and enjoy! Look me up on the GC site...look for "El Mysterioso".

·
Nerd
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all right, thanks fire! yea I figured it would work just fine, just makin sure =) and I think I'll go hit 2 in my area this weekend...I'm pretty sure I can find both with no GPS...I'm already giddy about huntin for em

·
Registered
148 Posts
You're gonna love it.

Any hiking GPS will help, but if you can afford something like the Garmin 60 CSx it really keeps track of caches for you. :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got an ETrex Legend and use GSAK (google it) to coordinate what I've done. I enjoy it, but my wife isn't real keen on the bushwacking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts