Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Future Codgers of America
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have used the search function and finally got tired of sifting thru the five-kajillion radiation related iodine threads. My question is this. Since iodine is necessary to prevent a myriad of diseases, what is a good way to supplement ones iodine intake once the iodized salt has run out? I know about kelp but don't really forsee living next to the ocean post SHTF.

N

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Certain types of seaweed have Iodine in them.

But this only helps people who live close to the ocean, and where those types of seaweed live.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Ok, so I have used the search function and finally got tired of sifting thru the five-kajillion radiation related iodine threads. My question is this. Since iodine is necessary to prevent a myriad of diseases, what is a good way to supplement ones iodine intake once the iodized salt has run out? I know about kelp but don't really forsee living next to the ocean post SHTF.

N
Make sure it doesn't run out?? Salt is cheap. :)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Make sure it doesn't run out?? Salt is cheap. :)
Not all salt has iodine in it.

I can see someone going to china-mart, buying a dozen containers of sea salt, and then realizing months later that the salt they bought does not have iodine in it.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Not all salt has iodine in it.

I can see someone going to china-mart, buying a dozen containers of sea salt, and then realizing months later that the salt they bought does not have iodine in it.
Good point. :)

Post amended to:

Don't let it run out? IODIZED salt is cheap.

Reactions: Grandad Prepper
1 - 7 of 7 Posts