·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a small buget so i started small i have foodstorage for about 2 months
but i want to have much more.
i would have enough veggis, fruits and meat for a while
I have acess to clean fresh water
And planing to extend my Garden and Fruitareas.
but i wanna have a storage of things i would need if i could not get anything from far away.
the main item that comes to mind is Salt..(for human and animals)
What else will i need and in what quantitys?

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Sugar - A large quantity - used a lot in preserving and canning
Cooking oil/fat - A large quantity - Somewhat difficult to make. Coconut oil or lard
Black Pepper - Couple of pounds - Not produced locally
Spices - All you normally use for at least a year - Not produced locally
Flavorings - All you normally use for at least a year - Not produced locally
Herbs - All you normally use for at least a year - Some can be grown, others not produced locally
Cocoa - A large quantity - Not produced locally
Baking powder - Couple month supply - Can be made, and only short shelf life
Baking soda - Several medium sized boxes - Many uses. When combined with cornstarch and cream of Tartar makes baking powder substitute
Corn starch - Several 1# boxes - When combined with Baking soda & cream of Tartar makes Baking powder substitute
Cream of Tartar - Several small cans - When combined with Baking soda and cornstarch makes baking powder substitute
Yeast - All you normally use for at least a year - can be made, but much easier to use factory, but limitted shelf life

Just my opinion.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Sugar - A large quantity - used a lot in preserving and canning
Cooking oil/fat - A large quantity - Somewhat difficult to make. Coconut oil or lard
Black Pepper - Couple of pounds - Not produced locally
Spices - All you normally use for at least a year - Not produced locally
Flavorings - All you normally use for at least a year - Not produced locally
Herbs - All you normally use for at least a year - Some can be grown, others not produced locally
Cocoa - A large quantity - Not produced locally
Baking powder - Couple month supply - Can be made, and only short shelf life
Baking soda - Several medium sized boxes - Many uses. When combined with cornstarch and cream of Tartar makes baking powder substitute
Corn starch - Several 1# boxes - When combined with Baking soda & cream of Tartar makes Baking powder substitute
Cream of Tartar - Several small cans - When combined with Baking soda and cornstarch makes baking powder substitute
Yeast - All you normally use for at least a year - can be made, but much easier to use factory, but limitted shelf life

Just my opinion.
Good post Jerry.

Add basics like rice, corn, and wheat - they are cheap, and a method of grinding. Vitamines. First Aid Supplies. You said you had a supply of water. Do you have plenty of containers to store water in case you can't get to your water supply or it becomes contaminated.

Means of defense. Means of fuel for cooking and light. Toilet paper. Personal hygene products.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jerry
for what you use cacao?

Add basics like rice, corn, and wheat - they are cheap, and a method of grinding. Vitamines. First Aid Supplies. You said you had a supply of water. Do you have plenty of containers to store water in case you can't get to your water supply or it becomes contaminated.

Means of defense. Means of fuel for cooking and light. Toilet paper. Personal hygene products.
thanks
I am clear in the basic things and the rest i found pretty good posts.

and my watersupply is save and are more then one spring and even if it would not be i always use my filter, just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Cocoa to make hot chocolate, chocolate milk, and chocolate candy. Might not be too important or needed there. Didn't notice you were from Honduras.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,786 Posts
Barley, oats, wheat, corn.

They are cheap, $5 to $8 for 40-pounds.

They can last for centuries if stored properly with low humidity.

Many ancient cultures have survived on porridge during bad times.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
if you dont live in a tropical area stuff like coconut and pineapple will be a good trade item it will be a rare item to find

i would store up alot of what you use alot of and try to work your way up to a 1 yrs supply. start takeing notes of how long things last like cooking oil,sugar,salt,pepper ..ect take notes of how much per month you go through and then start stocking up on all the items you normally use.it will do you no good if you store up 100 cans of spam, if no1 in your family is willing to eat it

alot of stuff you may not beable to get if no stores are open.stuff like pasta noodles they are cheap to stock up on and are very filling. you can make pasta but it take alot of flour why use up your flour for that when you can store up pasta and stuff like Mc and cheese.

after i got some of the basic to last me a while .im working on the more expensive stuff now like canned meat,ham,chicken,and fish. right now they seem expensive but when hyperinflation hits they will REALLY be expensive. i can buy the cheap stuff like rice and pasta later when that is the only thing i can afford. once i get enough the canned meats..ect then ill turn my attention to the next highest priced items. maybe stuff like canned fruits or sugar and spices

a little trick in stocking up when seasonal specials come ,buy a years worth or more of that item example when the 4th of july comes you will see ALOT of sales on stuff to cookout with like charcoal,lighter fluid,BBQ, mustard,ketchup...ect buy as much as you can of those items to last you all year. and if its able to be stored long term then buy extra to store up on. right now there are alot of spices and seasoning on sale they need to dump all the over stock they got for the season

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,250 Posts
If you have enough veggies, fruit and meat, it sounds like you're missing beans and grains, cooking oils, seasonings and powdered milk.

Also, sweeteners if you use them. They're a good source of calories and an aid to making comfort foods.

·
Wanderer
3,270 Posts
After you've gotten a good supply of the basics, as mentioned above in previous replies, lay in a supply of pudding, cake mixes, cocoa, chocolate, vanilla, etc. They are frivolous but when things are really bad a "fun" treat provides quite a morale boost.

·
Registered
705 Posts
may i suggest the 99cents only store shoe string budget of $5.00 or $7.00? it's one i made and suggested to my sister. right now you can get SENECA vegetables (made in USA) for 59cetns each. they are 16 oz. cans. store them and rotate them.

the $7.00 shoestring budget goes like this.
1. grains
2. legumes/proteins
3. vegetables/soups
4. fruits
5. dairy/liquids
6. fats/oils/sweets
7. baked goods (ingredients)

the $5.00 version is simply a trunkated version of the $7.00 version

1. grains
2. legumes/proteins
3. vegetables/soups
4. fruits/fats
5. dairy/liquids/baked goods

you can find a pound bag of rice, beans, pastas there. the pastas are curretnly, only 80cents. you can find super sized meatball in tomato sauce as well.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Depending on your water supply and to add variety, I buy Kool-Aid. It runs about 10-20 cents a pack. Add sugar and water...instant flavored drink that breaks up the blandness of water and takes up almost no space.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the answeres so far

i have a lot of Tang/Zuko(no sugar needed) in reserve, and we have a few lemon, mandaria, orange and other citrus threes here so we have enough vairity in the drinks.

thanks EdD270 those things i dont have enough yet (and its always in the details)

will try maybe i get even cacoa to fruit here.

for the milk i count on cows, also will get some sheep and goats for more milk and cheese.

grains are a bit of a problem down here, what i get a lot is corn but barley, oats, wheat are not just buyable at the next store and i buy at stores that supply most of the small supermarkets here.
I got some seeds, and hope i can grow it myself. have to try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts