Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to store cheap, easy to get food, that will last for years. Can't afford to buy tons of canned foods or other items that expire rather quickly.

Rice- Read how to store. But wondering any particular style rice or is it all the same?

Beans- Read up how to store but wondering what style beans?

What other food is easy, durable, and lasts for very long periods. Want to store enough food to feed my familly for a year.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Pretty much any white rice will store just fine. The brown rice is what you want to stay away from.

Pretty much all beans store just fine. I went with some black beans for now because I like the taste. You will want a few different ones because nobody is going to want to eat one type of bean for a year.

Some other things I just recently put in mylar bags include instant potatoes, powdered milk (NOT cheap though), elbow macaroni, instant oats, sugar, and flour. I plan on buying some Mountain House freeze dried meat because it lasts for 30 years and will add meat to the long term storage.

Supposedly it all stores well, so we will see!

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Any type of whole grain.
Wheat, corn, oats (dehulled), barley etc.

·
Registered
391 Posts
canned tomato soup does not store good. learned that the hard way. bought a few cans on sale past the exp date and it only kept a year. have kept dried pasta. romman <sp?> noodles cheap and good. crackers and cheese. some cheese will keep better than others.

·
Registered
33,197 Posts
I want to store cheap, easy to get food, that will last for years. Can't afford to buy tons of canned foods or other items that expire rather quickly.

Rice- Read how to store. But wondering any particular style rice or is it all the same?

What other food is easy, durable, and lasts for very long periods. Want to store enough food to feed my familly for a year.
As others have said, your canned goods will last a very long time. There are many cases of people opening cans for the 1940's that were just fine.

-Pasta (I store 6 varities)
-lentils
-Spouting seeds (salads in the middle of winter would be great)
-Beans, red, great white, black beans, lima there are lots to choose from
-Grains: Pop corn (for griding), wheat, corn
-Oats

Keep in mind, when you store the basic ingredients of long-term storage for home cooking you could eat 3 times a day and never eat the same meal twice (One of MikeK's favorite quotes).

Glad to see you preparing!!!

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
my current favrotive idea is dried whole evgs in the #10 cans being sold by more and more walmarts, lasts 10 years. add coconut oil to taste. coconut oil lasts for two years According to nutiva brand sold at Costco. use coconut oil as part of your regular diet. also great for dry or injured skin.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts

Most dried foods last well when properly packed. Pastas, dry grains of all kinds (oatmeal, etc), powdered milk and eggs.

Any kind of rice other than brown stores well. Parboiled/converted bran is especially good since it has most of the nutrition of brown rice and stores as long as white.

Any kind of beans store well too when properly packed in mylar with O2 absorbers. The smaller beans cook faster and require less fuel.

Remember too, that you don't have to eat plain white rice and boiled beans. There are cultures all over the world that use these as staple foods. You can make all sorts of amazing meals out of them. And there are a lot of things you can do with them too such as grind them. Ground rice can replace cornmeal in recipes and ground beans cook faster and can even be used in baked goods.

·
democrats = Hydra
6,207 Posts
corn meal stores well. can be simmered for the corn version of cream-of-wheat; or polenta; or added to flour for (corn) breads (extends and varies).
you can use the meal for coating fish and similar foods for frying, as well as hush puppies.

(tasty is banned for lentil threatening)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Another thing to think about is learning how to cook these things. I recently sealed up 10 lbs of black beans and realized I have never, ever, cooked dried beans in my life (and I am 33 years old).

What would have happened if I had to use them the next day? Did you know dried beans take for-e-ver to cook? Are you going to store enough fuel to boil beans for 2+ hours every day? I sure don't have that kind of fuel supply, so I had to research how to pressure cook them in a thermos and then practice doing it.

I ended up cutting the "How To" directions off the box/bag and sticking them inside the mylar bags with the food.

Last thing I need is to cut open a 1 lb bag of flour and have no idea how to make anything other than flour soup!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another thing to think about is learning how to cook these things. I recently sealed up 10 lbs of black beans and realized I have never, ever, cooked dried beans in my life (and I am 33 years old).

What would have happened if I had to use them the next day? Did you know dried beans take for-e-ver to cook? Are you going to store enough fuel to boil beans for 2+ hours every day? I sure don't have that kind of fuel supply, so I had to research how to pressure cook them in a thermos and then practice doing it.

I ended up cutting the "How To" directions off the box/bag and sticking them inside the mylar bags with the food.

Last thing I need is to cut open a 1 lb bag of flour and have no idea how to make anything other than flour soup!

How true, how true. :thumb:

·
Hurray For Me & **** You
1,709 Posts
corn meal stores well. can be simmered for the corn version of cream-of-wheat; or polenta; or added to flour for (corn) breads (extends and varies).
you can use the meal for coating fish and similar foods for frying, as well as hush puppies.

(tasty is banned for lentil threatening)
Banned for banning outside the banning thread, for cripes' sake, get back in the other room.:eek:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts