Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a lantern mantle transport after it has been burned or is to fragile. The reason I ask is to see if every time I use it camping do I have to replace them and if so how many do I need to stock for long term SHTF use.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
good question.. I had the same mantle in my lantern for six years till my last camping trip. got knocked over the mantle fell apart. any one know how long they can last if not broken.

I always have at least eight in my pack. Just in case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
good question I use the same mantels till they tear or fall apart if im gentle with the lantern they usually don't break i have never just left the lantern in one spot and used it daily for a while so i don't know how many hours you get out of them another thing to try out

·
Gas! Gas! Gas!
789 Posts
Well, with normal use (being, I suppose, five hours per night) I would fully expect a mantle to last a month at least. As for transporting, depends on how much it gets jarred. They are definitely not durable when being banged around. If you're planning on doing a bunch of moving around, Coleman style lanterns aren't the best to choose... they are sort of a stationary kind of thing... carrying fuel and all. In any case, mantles are cheap, so buy 100 of them.

Just to mention, I live in Upstate, NY... we had a big snow storm/power outage a few years ago. The snow lasted less that 24hrs, but the power was out for a week. Those mantles were NOWHERE to be found. A good trade item at least.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
They're fragile, but if you don't bump them around too much, they travel OK. I've had the same mantle make several camping trips, then I'd bump it and break it. I always used to carry a bunch of them and consider them one time use only, but often they'd surprise me. I broke the mantles on my Aladdin lamps moving into this house, and they didn't get knocked around that much.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
guess I just got an odd one. but then again its not six years of continuous use. two to three trips a month for three to four months out of the year. for a few hours a night. firelight is the norm when I camp.

but cant really remember changing to many of them over the years either. except when I broke them.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Seems like they travel ok, and last pretty well.

We lose most of ours when a moth or bug gets into
the lantern, and tears the mantle up as it thrashes around.
So no real predictable rate of failure. When it happens, it happens.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
mantle on my coleman lantern is maybe 8 or 9 years old, and has not been replaced.

·
Born to prep
3,656 Posts
Lantern mantels are kind of like trying to get to the center of a tootsie pop. If a mantel is not poked with a match or otherwise abused they will last all most for ever, the problem is few die of natural causes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Stock them!
I am amazed at and happy for the folks here that get them to last any length of time.
These items are cheap and take up zero room.

"better to have and not need,,,,,,,"

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you get a radiation meter, hold it over your 8-10 mantles that you carry in your pack...they use Thorium Oxide to get that nice white light. Take a look at its gamma spectrum, which doesn't even address the beta radiaiton it gives off...:)

http://www.radiochemistry.org/periodictable/gamma_spectra/pdf/th232.pdf

Gives you more dose than Japan ever will!
you sir are just trying to make me paranoid.... oh wait.. I am already LOL

considering how much time ive spent in front of microwaves watching the thing go round im already doomed. okay so im easily amused.:D:

seriously though.. thanks for the info. but Ill probably keep carrying them anyway.

·
The end is,,,,,
9,984 Posts
Yes, no touch, no wind, no hard bumps, should last a good while. But keep a few around just in case. Changed all of mine at the same time six years ago. They all burn about 2 weeks out of a year.

·
Reluctor of dominatus
277 Posts
Mine usually get damaged from a match or a bump, I bought 40 or 50 of them at a garage sale for $12 a couple of years ago

·
In 3-D
142 Posts
I've slowed down over the years and only camp 4-5 times a year, now. My coleman lantern is the only light source I have other than a campfire, and I've never had to change mine, although I have repladements, and I've have it between 18 and 20 years now.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have probably more mantles than I have propane for at this point..... but better to have and not need, than need and not have.......

·
Registered
537 Posts
I purchased my Coleman lantern back in 1991. I did have to replace the mantles once but never again since then. I now carry my lantern in a 5 gallon plastic bucket wrapped in a piece of egg shell foam padding. I have not replaced the glass globe either. I do carry several packages of new replacement mantles in the bucket. I use the lantern about 2 months out of the year during hunting season. Maybe I just been lucky. SEMPER FI

1 - 20 of 33 Posts